Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 308 powder available ... ?

S-Hurt

There are many powders that work well in the .308, its like the .45acp, many opinons. As far as popularity Varget is #1, then 4895, RL15, 4064, VV140.

My favorite is RL-15. Varget worked well, but each lot was so different it took a lot of time to work up a load. In 3-gun it isn't that critical, but I shoot Palma and other long range stuff and it make a big difference. I am two ponts away from getting NRA distinguished, at age 61, not sure if it wil happen now, the front post is getting harder to see.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of 10:28 pst all of these propellants were available here; Natchez

1 lb Alliant 10x

1+8 lb Accurate 2495

8 lb IMR 4064

1 lb H4895

1 lb Ramshot TAC

1+8 lb Winc 748

They all would work well with your .308

Edited by Para 16

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of progressed from 30/06 to .308 now 7mm08 for Silhouette. Powders too 4064 then W 748 next ACC 2520 and finished up Varget. Any of those powders are good for the 308. Varget may be best but hard to tell from ACC 2520 performance wise. 4064 is more difficult to measure, except for that could be the best of all.

Boats

• 2 weeks later...

I too like AA2520, it meters well and is quite consitant.

I'm using a 18 " M1a and use 42 grns for 147 grn and 168 I use 40 grns. using Wlr with good results.

Good luck, and take P. Kellys' advice to the bank.

Hop

• 3 months later...
I have CCI large rifle primers, casings that are prepped and 168 gr bullets but no powder! I've had no luck finding Varget powder and wonder what is a good second choice that might be available? HELP! I'm ready to reload but there is one small component missing .... powder.

Please give me a good solid second choice for powder and maybe your load data such as how many grains and overall length. I could use the help to get me started or in the ball park.

Rifle: DSA tactical 16" fluted barrel

Thanks

ps. Do you know where Varget is available?

I have had excellent results from Accurate 2495 BR (formerly XMR-2495). Lots available locally at reasonable prices. My favorite load is 41.7 gr under a 168gr SMK. Regularly get groups less than "dime sized" @200yards and "50 cent" sized @ 300 yards from my Rem 700 SS 5-R Milspec. Also get similar results with 39.5 gr under Nosler 175gr.

• 1 month later...
Consult a "Powder Burn Rate" chart and find the powder with the correct burn rate for your shorter barrel. You will need something a little on the faster side to get your MV up. No since wasting money on powder that's going to be too slow.

a burn chart is not where you find a good powder for your ammunition.

consult a reloading manual.

and the powder that gives top velocity in a long barrel will still give top velocity in a shorter barrel. faster powders in a shorter barrel will make the gun less noisy and will probably have less muzzle blast but will also yield lower muzzle velocity.

test this and see what happens

H335 and a 55 grain bullet loaded to 10% under max

do the same thing with IMR 4198 10% under max

shoot them in a short (~16") barrel and see whats faster...H335 will prevail.

now time for my opinion...

Varget isnt the ONLY powder that was ever suitable to reload the 308 and 223. Varget is fine powder and does a job and does it well but it is not the only load for accurate ammo.

WIN 748 works and has been around for a long time.

4895 is also very nice

4064 is a top performer in my custom Mauser 98 in .308 shooting 150 Sierra flat base at 3000 FPS in a 22 inch rifle.

RL 15 is essentially the same as Varget.

RL 15 is essentially the same as Varget.

That was all I needed to read. ;)

But I will continue anyway. I find my burn charts in the front of my reloading manual, and I've shot a couple rifles in my day, so I'll back up my opinion with a little fact printed in a "reloading manual".

.308 Win

Powders listed from faster burning to slower.

168gr Sierra HPBT

N135 (equal to BLC-2 and Re10) 42.1gr = 2697 fps

N140 (equal to Varget, H-380, and Re15) 42.8gr = 2558 fps

N150 (equal to H4350 and Re17) 44.5gr = 2636 fps

All of those loads printed out of the current VihtaVuori reloading guide and all max charges.

Faster powders can burn complete in a shorter length of bbl generating 100% pressure curve. Slower powders in a short bbl are not burning at a fast enough rate to generate enough pressure to propel the projectile against the friction caused by the bore diameter equal to that. I only shoot enough to burn out a .308 bbl every year. Heck, I've shot 700 Berger bullets in the last 3 months with 4 different powders in .308.

Win 748, Re15, and IMR 4064 are extremely temperature sensitive, though I do like H4894 for lighter bullets in shorter barrels. I do have to try and remember that temperature sensitivity is not an issue to many folks around here as it's not real prevalent until you get beyond 600 yards. I only shoot less than 600 yards doing load development, so I kind of gravitate to powders that perform at distance. YMMV

So are you certain that Black Hills uses TAC powder? I think I read that some where but I would like to know 100% certainty. I have some Black Hills Gold with a 168grn pill that Noveske recommended and it shoots lights out. I tried some of my reloads for my Dad's M1A of 168gr SMK under 41.5 IMR-4895 out of that upper and the Black Hills out shoots it. Does anyone know what bullet Black Hills uses in the Gold ammo? It does not seem to be a Serria.

• 4 years later...

42 grains of N140 here gives me .55 moa in my bolt gun and it has shot well in my 2 friends guns as well. But its a little on the slow side. 2590 in a 24 inch barrel and 2450 in a 20 inch gun. 168 grain SMK CCI BR primers.

Pat

Like a lot of other folks I had to switch away from Varget due to lack of availability. I found that my local shop and powder valley had periodic shipments of 4064 so I switched to that and haven't looked back. Current load is 155gr Sierra over 45gr 4064. I plan on working up a 168 load soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Varget

H4895

IMR 8208xbr (absolute lowest fps variation I have ever seen)

are my 3 top choices because they are all temperature stable. If I cant get those, I move on to

RL15

IMR 4895

IMR4064 which is showing up again

BLC2

748 (good luck getting some)

Varget

H4895

IMR 8208xbr (absolute lowest fps variation I have ever seen)

are my 3 top choices because they are all temperature stable. If I cant get those, I move on to

RL15

IMR 4895

IMR4064 which is showing up again

BLC2

748 (good luck getting some)

Thanks for that. I just started to use the IMR 8208 XBR, found that it is very temp stable, meters great, is consistent and pretty versatile. My local gun shop has gotten quite a bit in and since I just started to spool up to reload .223, I have bought a few jugs of the same production lot for a reasonable price. Reloader 15, Varget, BLC2 and 748 are all more expensive to me locally.

Edited by RDA