Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 308 powder available ... ?

S-Hurt

I have CCI large rifle primers, casings that are prepped and 168 gr bullets but no powder! I've had no luck finding Varget powder and wonder what is a good second choice that might be available? HELP! I'm ready to reload but there is one small component missing .... powder.

Please give me a good solid second choice for powder and maybe your load data such as how many grains and overall length. I could use the help to get me started or in the ball park.

Rifle: DSA tactical 16" fluted barrel

Thanks

ps. Do you know where Varget is available?

Edited by S-Hurt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had good luck with IMR 4064 when I had a .308. I think my load was 44gr with Federal primers.

+1 to 4064. Awesome powder with 168 SMKs. It is what I used before I discovered Varget. Be advised that it doesn't meter as nicely as Varget.

Also consider BL-C2 and WW 748. They are spherical powders so they meter great. Drawback is that they're a little temperature sensitive.

I've been using mostly BL-C2 for .308 primarily because I started loading .223 first and I had lots of it. As far as ball powders go it works quite well in .308 and meters so well that it leaks out of my 550. I'm not sure about the metering qualities of IMR 4064 since I used it in rather small quantities and weighed every charge, but if I were to get a stick powder for .308 it would certainly be 4064.

But I don't think you can go wrong with BL-C2, especially if you load .223 too.

Dave Sinko

A time tested load in NRA Highpower Rifle competition is 41.5 grains of IMR4895 with a 168 Sierra Matchking. Vel. is around 2550. It is a very accurate load in most .308 rifles.

A time tested load in NRA Highpower Rifle competition is 41.5 grains of IMR4895 with a 168 Sierra Matchking. Vel. is around 2550. It is a very accurate load in most .308 rifles.

DMS42's post is worth about 25 of the 30 or 40 you wanted.

This ain't idle B.S. it is the knowledge of a NRA High Power Distinguished rifleman who did it with a M14!

He has given much to teach many how to shoot accurately. I am lucky to be included among them.

On task to the O.P.'s question. What 308 suitable powders can you get? We may be able to offer choice loads based on your availability.

BL-C2, W748, AA2520, IMR4895, Ramshot TAC?

Patrick

H4895 is going to be the best powder for your application considering the 168gr bullets and short 16" bbl. H4895 is fast enough to get you some decent velocity in the short tube, I'd guess 2525fps is obtainable from that pretty easy. An 18" DPMS AR-10 would get to 2580 without pressure.

What weight heads are you going to use?

RL15 is good but currently unavailable at Powder Valley.

H4895 is good... but out of stock.

I4895 is good... but out of stock.

BLC(2) is OK (I find it extremely temp sensitive)... but out of stock.

... Ramshot Tac is available. A2230 is available.

If I couldn't wait I'd use A2230 first and Tac second.

I value all the responses the post has been getting. This information from those who have been there ... done that ...... is priceless. It helps me with my decision making and spares me the time and expense of testing several different gun powders. I am fortunate to have this web site, and it's members who are willing to take the time and help another rookie rifle reloader.

Reloading components are hard to find in my area. I'm afraid it's a taste of things to come this year for us shooters and wonder what will happen to competitive shooting. I've loaded a million handgun rounds but this is my first shot at loading 308 rifle. I have a whole new respect for the rifle reloader in the case prep alone!

Thanks again and keep adding to the post!

I value all the responses the post has been getting. This information from those who have been there ... done that ...... is priceless. It helps me with my decision making and spares me the time and expense of testing several different gun powders. I am fortunate to have this web site, and it's members who are willing to take the time and help another rookie rifle reloader.

Reloading components are hard to find in my area. I'm afraid it's a taste of things to come this year for us shooters and wonder what will happen to competitive shooting. I've loaded a million handgun rounds but this is my first shot at loading 308 rifle. I have a whole new respect for the rifle reloader in the case prep alone!

If you are looking for accuracy, try 43.0 W748, Lake City match brass, F210M, seat your 168s to 2.800. Regards, Kirby

Consult a "Powder Burn Rate" chart and find the powder with the correct burn rate for your shorter barrel. You will need something a little on the faster side to get your MV up. No since wasting money on powder that's going to be too slow.

DMS42's post is worth about 25 of the 30 or 40 you wanted.

This ain't idle B.S. it is the knowledge of a NRA High Power Distinguished rifleman who did it with a M14!

He has given much to teach many how to shoot accurately. I am lucky to be included among them.

On task to the O.P.'s question. What 308 suitable powders can you get? We may be able to offer choice loads based on your availability.

BL-C2, W748, AA2520, IMR4895, Ramshot TAC?

Patrick

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure that I helped you all that much, but it is always a pleasure to work with someone that listens and at least tries doing what I am telling them. And you did.

In my SAI NM I prefer H4895 over everything else. It burns a little cleaner than IMR-4895 plus it's less temperature sensitive. My rifle shoots 6 inches high at 100 yards with 168 gr HPBTs - so I stick with the 155s. Experimenting with different bullets, powder, and primers gets old so I stick with what works. This is my favorite load and it gives me ten shot groups measuring about 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards (open sights, off the bench).

Bullet: Nosler 155 gr Custom Competition

Powder: Hodgdon H4895 42.0 grs

Case: Lake City 64

Primer: Winchester Large Rifle

LOAL: 2.800

Velocity: 2700 fps

If you want pictures of how this load groups I'll post them...

Here's my 168 gr load.

Bullet: Nosler 168 gr Custom Competion

Powder: Hodgdon H4895 41.0 grs.

Case: Lake City 64

Primer: Winchester Large Rifle

LOAL: 2.810

Velocity: 2580 fps

Edited by pbcaster45

I've had good luck with 42.5 grains of IMR4895 and either a 150 Sierra BTFMJ or the Sierra Palma 155 HPBT out of my M1As. The 150's were cheaper and shot almost as good at 200 yards. Both loads were used for Highpower Rifle.