Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a "legal" extended XD mag catch?

Boyd

I shot my first match with an XD yesterday and flubbed a couple of reloads (lost the match by 2 seconds -IDPA). On my G-35, I've got a factory extended mag release. My question is: Is there a Production Legal slightly extended release for my XD? I'm a lefty and use my trigger finger. I know that Springer Precision makes some cool stuff, but I could not verify if it was USPSA "Legal" for production

-MB

Edited by Boyd

Look at Canyon Creek's website. I got one of his a couple of years ago, it works. He cut the indent in the catch/release, off center. You install it so that the longer end sticks out the side you prefer and there is a bit more button available without installing a longer magazine release button. Legal and effective.

The rules issue is: If you install a custom part that is not like that, dimensionally, used on production models, you have a problem. What Canyon Creek did was to just cut the the indent in a different place on the same size part as is factory produced. You do lose the ambidextrous aspect of the XD mag release button, though.

If you are asking rules question, they ought to go in the rules forum. I'll move this thread there.

- Admin.

My question wasn't about rules, but equipment options for the XD (that still stayed inthe PD rules)

-MB

There is specific language about mag releases in the new rule to be adopted soon. I don't think it is anything to worry about, but I am not familiar with every mag release that is currently being made. It might pay you to read them. Perhaps some of the folks who are producing the mag releases can say with some authority that their mag release is rule compliant.

Gary

Edited by Gary Stevens

Extended length OK. BIG button on the end, NO-NO.

Thanks. I looked in the 2008 and 2009 rules. I could never find mag releases specifically noted. There was a reference to replacing small parts:

"•Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,

slide stops, guide rods)."

Is there another reference source? I looked up the rules books on the USPSA site.

Do you guys know if the intent is to replace these parts with parts of the same size etc? I know from shootig the Production Nationals a few years ago that there were inspections. I want to stay in the rules.

Also, is the XDM release longer etc like the G34/35 is?

Thanks

-MB

The new rules are posted in the members section under BOD minutes. They have not taken effect as of today, but will shortly.

I have copied the relevant part you are looking for:

Aftermarket parts which extend the length of the magazine releases may be used. Magazine releases which provide a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

The new rules are posted in the members section under BOD minutes. They have not taken effect as of today, but will shortly.

Aftermarket parts which extend the length of the magazine releases may be used. Magazine releases which provide a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

Excellent, thanks. After my last post, I did find the info on the box size the gun must fit in, so I guess the limit will be the height of the box (n theory)

-MB

Excellent, thanks. After my last post, I did find the info on the box size the gun must fit in, so I guess the limit will be the height of the box (n theory)

-MB

My XD has the Canyon Creek version of the extended mag release (the one that just moves it over) and it fits in the box very easily. I am sure the others do also.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
That is the hard way. If you have to do another one give me a call, as there is a MUCH easier way to swap them out.

Just got mine... Scott told me the easy way to install it... took 5 min from start to finish.

What a HUGE improvement. After I installed tru-grip the additional few thou of thickness made it very hard for me to reach the magazine release with my thumb. The plus .1 extended mag catch completely solves that problem. Just in time for the FL state championship.

Thanks Scott