Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Cynergy

38stupid

I started shooting clays about 8 years ago and the wife put the brakes on that! - Too many shooting hobbies.

I now want to start shooting clays and have always loved the Brownings. How have the Cynergy guns been working?

38 Stupid

I debated long and hard between the Cynergy and the Citori.

As you may read in other threads, I chose the Citori. I think the Cynergy is at least as good, if not better. I simply wanted a more traditional look.

My suspicion is that the two guns would perform nearly the same, but that at the end of the day I'd be a little more sore than a shooter with the Cynergy . . .

It was a sacrifice I was willing to make, but let me tell you I thought a good bit about it.

I'll end this little note by saying I'm just starting in the shotgun game - so my opinion is just an opinion. I don't have a ton of experience in this space.

Jack

I debated long and hard between the Cynergy and the Citori.

As you may read in other threads, I chose the Citori. I think the Cynergy is at least as good, if not better. I simply wanted a more traditional look.

My suspicion is that the two guns would perform nearly the same, but that at the end of the day I'd be a little more sore than a shooter with the Cynergy . . .

It was a sacrifice I was willing to make, but let me tell you I thought a good bit about it.

I'll end this little note by saying I'm just starting in the shotgun game - so my opinion is just an opinion. I don't have a ton of experience in this space.

Jack

I am going to the NRA meeting in Phoenix. I plan on spending a lot of time in the Browning booth. I had a Citori trap gun years ago and kick myself

for selling it.

Not being able to shoot them makes the decision much more difficult.

Bob

I haven't shot one, but one person I know that has a Cynergy likes it.

Initially, they had a recall and some issues I've "read", like many new guns, but it's been out now for almost 5 years I believe.

If it were me, I'd ask around a lot, and I don't consider the "modern changes" of any value. Meaning, striker fired, no hinge pin, etc...because the traditional lock-work, trigger designs are so reliable and durable. Their "flex" pad probably does reduce recoil a bit, but it might move too much also...not sure. They have traditional stocks also.

So, IMHO, it would boil down to balance, feel, price, maybe looks. :)

Not much help, but as you know without shooting one, the decision is more difficult.

One of my shooting partners has one and likes it. I always look at what equipment is at a big regional SC match. In Georgia, I would see no more than 2 Cynergys at a regional match, state shoot, etc. Just something to consider.

Please indulge me... I do know the question you asked.

I am working on refining my answer to a newish serious shooter should I buy a __________ ? It may have a, tell me about it, rider with the question.

Advice

Buy it. Shoot it a lot. Take lesson(s). Get fitted. Shoot more.

it = any reasonably modern popular gun with names like Browning, Berretta, Blazer, C. Guerini, Krieghoff, and Perazzi.

Maybe the my refined answer might read.

Buy it. Shoot it. If you shoot it a lot, take lesson(s), get fitted, shoot more.

Shoot competition, develop a good lost puppy routine and borrow every gun you can and put a few of your rounds through them.

Then you are ready to ask yourself which gun is best for me.

Otherwise you may want to sit down read and ask a bunch or two of questions. Develop criteria for the games or uses and ask if xyz meets them.

On another occasion I might write to a newish clay shooter buy a 12 gauge Beretta 391 or 3901 with 28 - 30" barrel and follow the bold advice above. (probably has the lowest failure rate of any of the stuff I wrote.)

I have one and love it. It is a 32" sporting clays model. For me the fit is perfect. I also really like the striker based firing system on the gun. The trigger feel is great and you don't have to wory about shooting a load heavy enough load to run the reset on the firing pin. The gun has the finest of all of the choke systems on it, the Invector Plus system. The gun is set up for sporting clays and shoots about 80% high for me with the fit on my gun. This means that even on overhead incoming targets I can still see the clay when I pull the trigger. I also shoot alot of skeet for sporting clays practice, the only problem I have found with the 32" gun is that it is a little slow on station 8 but it rocks on station 4. I think I have more misses on 8 than I do on 4. I love how low the centerline of the gun is. It seems to really help with recoil and with the sporting clays loads they are'nt quite as punishing. You will have to be an olympic shooter to wear it out. The gun has a really great balance to it even with 32" barrels on it. You will have to used to the diffrent look of it. It does not have the traditional look to it. I recomend you get it 100%, UNLESS it doesn't fit you. In all reality this is the MOST, repeat, MOST important thing in getting a sporting clays gun. If a $700 Remington Sparton fits you better than a $30,000 Beretta, you would shoot the Sparton better. It doesn't really matter what gun you think is best or what gun has X,Y,Z features, you need a gun that fits.

Scott

You see a few of them here in the Houston area with a couple of NSCA masters using them. One a sponsored shooter and the other with over 100,000 rds through his. I test drove one and came really close to buyng it. Like the balance, the fact that it shoots where I look and the fact that the funky recoil pad does work pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate on the Cynergy if it fits you and your shooting style/technique (moves with you). Key is to test drive before buying.

MikeTX

• 2 months later...

I have two.

Started with a 30" model and traded for a 32", like the long barrels better myself.

I have pounded out 375 rounds in two hours while taking a lesson and still no sore shoulder.

You also can use subgauge tubes with no trigger work to get it to reset like the citori.

It comes with all the bells and whistles everyone sends thier guns off to have done.

If you are still looking I have one NIB I will make a deal on.

Brad

I have two.

Started with a 30" model and traded for a 32", like the long barrels better myself.

I have pounded out 375 rounds in two hours while taking a lesson and still no sore shoulder.

You also can use subgauge tubes with no trigger work to get it to reset like the citori.

It comes with all the bells and whistles everyone sends thier guns off to have done.

If you are still looking I have one NIB I will make a deal on.

Brad

Send a PM on the details of the gun and price. Model, rounds thru it, etc.

38Stupid

• 2 years later...

I started shooting clays about 8 years ago and the wife put the brakes on that! - Too many shooting hobbies.

I now want to start shooting clays and have always loved the Brownings. How have the Cynergy guns been working?

38 Stupid

I had one and really did not like the way it felt, and sold it

Browning has a "new" O/U coming out next year I read, so if you want a Browning and something different!

The new "725" has mechanical triggers and a 'lower' receiver...less height.

Appears to be similiar to the standard brownings, but "updated"...if you will!

Just FYI if you are still looking!!

• 1 year later...