Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inner dialog - Conversations you've had...

-JQ-

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it often goes like this: At Are you ready take a deep breath and slowly let it out until the beep. At the beep I go through the stage going over my mental notes as to where I need to slow down for tighter shots and where I really need to kick it in the butt to go faster. I also count the rounds with mental notes as to where I need to do my mag change if needed. Although sometimes it is just: DANG this is too fun to be legal. ROFL

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

I have gone thru like three stages of inner dialog scince I started shooting.

First went like this;

RO: Shooter ready??Stand by----

Beeep

Draw

Ok dont break the 180

Shoot shoot

finger out of trigger guard

Dont break the 180

Shoot, shoot

finger out of triger guard

Whew

RO: shooter if you are finished-----

Second like this;

RO: Shooter ready?? Stand by---

Beeep

Draw, (slow is smooth)

2 targets over there

dont forget the mag change

Texas star (work top down)

Front sight

Front sight

RO: If you are finished-----

current dialog;

RO: shooter ready?? stand by---

Beep

RO: If you are finished----

I find that the inner dialogue must take place instantaneously for me. Usually I only have it when I screw something up. Then when I tell someone what was happening in my mind it takes atleast 5 times as long to actually say it than it took to actually happen.

Recently it was caught on video. The stage called for shooting a popper early in the stage to activate a drop out target that could be shot later in the stage from a platform. When I got to the platform the conversation went: "Where's the target? There should be a target there. You missed the steel idiot. Keep shooting. Get it later." When I watched the video there wasn't any pause at all when that conversation took place.

western states single stack, early morning day 1, sun peaking up over the mountain:

bang

"wow, i can see the sun on the bullets and watch them go down range, that's so cool!"

"pull the trigger you idiot you're wasting time!"

2-day match somewhere relatively recently:

bang bang

bang bang

bang bang

"huh"

"that target already has two holes in it"

"that's odd, i haven't shot it yet"

"huh"

bang bang

the sad part was i repeated that conversation on the next 3 targets that had not been taped after the previous shooter.

Wow! I must be way behind the curve if everyone's inner shooter actually talks in sentences! Mine is a much simpler conversationalist....

"Reload! Reload! Reload!"

"Run! Run! Run!"

"Stop! There! There!"

"Ah S*&T!"

"Stupid!"

Since I changed from Open to Revolver, all he seems to do is laugh through the entire stage!

One of our local hospitals has a ward on the seventh floor for you folks.-----------Larry

Can you put me in for a room with a view? It's getting crowded in here. :surprise:

• 5 weeks later...

My inner dialogue starts talking with my gun, makes it angry and starts malfunctioning. Then I become super human. For the rest of the stage after my mind tells my finger to squeeze the trigger I say to myself

"Is it gonna go"

"Is it gonna go"

"Oh crap its not"

BANG

"wheeeew it worked"

"where the hell did that shot go?"

"were you even looking at the sights or the gun?"

"I wish I could think this fast when a dodgeball is coming at my face"

• 1 month later...

I had a conversation with myself on a long stage where I only had four mags on my belt and I planned to use all of them (because I shoot Production). It went a little something like this:

beep

bang bang - bang bang - bang bang

(run and reload) "What are those guys saying behind me? It sounds like they are laughing awfully loudly. Oh s**t, I must have pulled out my second mag during that reload!"

bang bang - bang bang - bang bang - bang bang (no shoot) bang (make up)

(run and reload) "How can I make this up? I guess I need to shoot my last mag until empty and hope there aren't too many targets left."

bang bang - bang bang - bang bang - bang bang

(run)

bang bang - bang

(STANDING RELOAD)

bang

(run)

bang bang - bang bang - bang bang

(unload and show clear, find full fourth mag on my belt) "Why the h**l would I think laughter meant you dropped a mag? I am an idiot."

Although it my favorite conversation was on a 24 round course:

beep

bang bang (hit a no shoot) - "This isn't going so well. I need to abandon my plan."

(crappiness ensues for the next 22 bangs)

• 1 month later...

If I'm shooting well, it usually goes something like:

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! for the the entire stage.

If I screw up, various phases such as:

"Really? WTF was that?"

"My grip sucked there"

"That didn't feel right"

"Moron!"

"Nice little prance we did there, ***"

"Hmm, where is/was my sight?"

My last match, we had two ports with close in target through the ports, 2 with no-shoots, two without.

I realized on the third target of each array, I was shooting without even seeing the sights. Point shooting head-shots, and Alphas at speed...

Seven months in, the gun is "becoming one" with the hands and eyes. It was a nice feeling/realization.

With every sport I've done, basketball, golf, and now shooting... at some point you find the "zone" where time slows down and everything falls into place. With golf, I could feel the face angle of the club before impact and know exactly what the ball was going to do off the face. Time slowed down at impact, and the feel was exceptional. Took me YEARS to reach. Now, similar sensations are happening with the gun. Transitions slow down, the front sight comes into focus on the longer shots, and the eyes focus more on the target close in.

The saying: You can shoot as fast as you can see... begins to make sense. When you enter the "zone" and start seeing as fast as you shoot!

What was going through my head mid-stage?:

"Gee... I'm seeing every hit, calling shots, and shooting exactly where my eyes are looking at. Wow... COOL!"

Then there was the NEXT stage:

"What the hell happened to that feeling from the LAST stage???" on my third miss on the same steel... LOL

JeffWard

One thing that I keep in mind (remind myself of) is to stick with my plan. Another is not to worry about what other shooters think about the way I shoot the stage. If I start to be concerned about other shooters opinions of how I am shooting a stage, then it causes me to hesitate. I have seen this in reviewing videos of myself shooting.

I normally will engage every target that I can see from a particular location, including those that I can engage from other locations in the stage that are closer. In my mind it is the best thing for me. I can always engage the target from the closer location if I need to, and I can pass it by if I effectively engaged it earlier.

Suffice to say that often this plan does is not agreeable with other shooters discussing during the walk through. It generally works for me though. I can usually make the longer shots and once I became confident at that it became my preferred method.

Edited by Blueridge

• 1 month later...

my most memorable inner dialogue was on a TX star, shot through a low port.

I was playing in revo that day.

"low, lower, bang - why is that thing spinning like crazy? bangbangbangbangbang, click, dang! reload, gun getting heavy, still in low port, legs start to cramp, arrgh, few more bangs, done - phew!"

RO said afterwards, "we were all wondering why you shot the bottom plate first.."

• 2 weeks later...

"Where are we going?" What I hear when subconscious me deviates from our plan.

"Nice group!" Said sarcastically when I noticed a make up shot right next to the c that caused the make up attempt. At least we are noticing when we're off now.

"Gun on target... why did you fire?!" Uninvited conscious me emphasizing how he thinks we should hose close "can't miss" targets, I didn't listen.

We're not crazy, it's just that I recently became aware of unconscious me. The present is really fascinating, I just wish I didn't have an idiot for a guide.