Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inner dialog - Conversations you've had...

-JQ-

I almost forgot to preface this...I'm starting my second season and I'm currently a "D" class shooter (soon to leave this class though B) ) So the conversation below will not sound (assuming here) like a "pro"...just a beginning "joe"...

Yesterday at a local match, while in a transition between targets I had an interesting (to me) conversation with my "inner" self...

Self: I wonder if that shot was an A?

Self: Why are you asking these things now?

Self: Well, I can't see where I hit the target? Or for that matter of I hit it at all...

Self: Why are you looking at the target? Do you have sights?

Self: Yes I have sights...a nice bright red one...why do you ask?

Self: Where was that sight when the shot broke?

Self: In the center of the target A zone...I think because the target was fuzzy...

Self: Do you trust your sights?

Self: Yes.

Sights: Do you trust me?

Self: Yes sights I trust you.

Self: Trust your sights.

Self: Quit talking about it and GO! $@%$%!

-----

This seemed to become clear in the middle of a run...I shot well for the rest of the day and ended up with my best classifier to date...everything seemed so slow...

:cheers:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that's a sign of speed. I have JUST started to have an awareness of the course as I shoot it and have that inner dialog...

If nothing else, its nice ot have someone to talk to while shooting!

I get tickled at my son (28) sometimes. He will be shooting and for some reason starts talking to the targets....

"Yeah, come get ya some of this....You want some of this?.....Just stand there, I'll get you eventually."

The first time I noticed it was when the RO was laughing his behind off.

Although it does come natural. When I shoot revolver, I have a lot of time on my hands and for some reason I talk to the targets, RO, Myself... It doesn't matter. :wacko:

Ain't this a grand game :cheers:

dj

I start with the internal dialog when things aren't going as expected. Sunday first stage I shot the first array of targets then took off running to the next planned position and for some reason I stopped short and started shooting at a target in an unplanned sequence. That got me talking to myself. :wacko:

Edited by Greg Bell

I shoot with my Dad and nephew. Anyways, the nephew is going to shoot a speed shoot, 4 poppers of which any will activate two drop turners. These drop turners are fast. There and gone fast. Nephew steps up to line, buzzer goes off, shoots two most right poppers then right drop turner, then left drop turner, and finally last two poppers. I look at timer and whistle, 13 year old nephew did a 4.75 and all A's. My turn. Self..... "kid ain't better than you" "Shoot all 4 poppers then paper." "NO", "YES" , "NO" , "YES" , BEEEEEEP!!! What a nightmare. Down 3 and a second slower. SELF TALK SUCKS FOR ME. I usually just watch my movie and shoot. I'm really proud of that kid! He ended up 3rd on the stage, only a Master and A guy beat him.

yes that is funny even into my 19 year at shooting matches.

The funny thing about the Bang is when you are shooting good the Bang is a bit of a surprise.

The best thing about shooting is when all that can quiet the mind and just watch. You see things that take place in one tenth of a second that takes ten lines of print to explain. That is what makes training worth wile.

Well really that is the main reason I shoot.

The extra traffic in your head is part of the Leaning Curve.

Standby!

Beep!

Bang!

"Somethings not right..."

Bang!

"This is really ****ing loud"

Bang!

"Muffs are around your neck idiot, ah that's it, I'm good... Next target... Shoot!!!

I always double plug, but I have left without my muffs a few times..

Conversation with self this past Sunday...

Last target around that wall, run, run, run

No you dummy, you can't run you're wearing a brace on a sprained ankle.

Well just go faster

Oh crap, what did I trip over

This is not going to be a soft landing

You have to turn your body in the air to keep the muzzle in a safe direction

Make sure your finger is off the trigger

Don't let the gun hit the ground when you do

Ooomph, that wasn't so bad

No bang... RO never said stop...

So raise up "Grace" and put two shots in the target and get this thing done :rolleyes:

wow! that reload went good

Wow! Look how close I am to the targets after the relaod This will be easy.

bang,bang....bang,bang....bang,bang....

Alhpa Mike, Alpha Mike, Alhpa Delta

W.T.F.

Mine usually goes something like:

I'm ready.

I've got a plan.

Slow and steady.

Beep.

Pause.

Pause.

Crap.

What was my plan now?

Bang, bang, bang, bang....

You're shooting too fast, slow down.

Why won't that popper fall?

The swinger didn't go that fast in the walk thru did it?

Thank god that's over.

What do you mean, "failure to engage".

Where did that come from. I never even saw that target.

I'm screwed now.

Next stage will be better...

Based on watching some of these videos from GM/M's, I'm convinced that some of those guys are thinking about grocery lists and whether or not they turned off the coffee pot!

I recently shot a stage that went like this:

react on the start of the buzzer, react on the start of the buzzer

front sight

next target

run

faster

slow down

next target

I hope the mag stays in the gun

my gun feels lighter

what was that thud?

crap the mag fell out

draw another or bend down?

but I'm gonna need that mag for the texas star

ok, draw another, shoot one handed, bend and retrieve mag

front sight

crap, how do I hold the gun with a mag in my support hand? never done that in dry fire

crap, I shot the hard cover, oh well, burned enough time here, eat it and move on

Once I learned to quiet my inner voice, the silence lead to better stages........

For me, the inner dialog only occurs after the stage is completed. I find that I can run through the entire stage

like it was movie and see virtually everything I did right and wrong. Many times, when I have had a miss, I can

run through the stage in my mind and realize just where I pulled off a target too fast or even broke a shot when

hard-cover was in the sight.

I recently had a stage where I had to do an unplanned reload.....fumbled a mag, grab another, reloaded, and racked

the slide ejecting a loaded round :blink: . I simply reacted to the situation during the stage, no voices telling me a thing. AFTER I finished, my inner voice kept saying....What the @#$@#$!! did you just do on that reload? :wacko: Why the @#$@#!!

did you rack the slide when you knew there was a loaded round chambered? :blink: I laughed it off and went on the next stage, there was no point in argueing with myself, I never win :roflol:

Edited by matt2ace

My inner voice speaks of expectations.

My inner voice is critical and judgemental.

My inner voice does not allow any deviation from the plan.

My inner voice screams "Failure! FUBAR! You screwed up! It's too late! It's hopeless - just give up right now!" anytime anything "goes wrong".

I listen to my inner voice.

I will no longer listen to my inner voice.

I do not need an inner voice.

I will not HAVE an inner voice.

I will observe the shooting, and let it flow from what I have trained to do.

If things go "awry", I will take note, as I would of anything in my shooting, and allow the flow of shooting to compensate.

:closedeyes::closedeyes::closedeyes:

Mine often says "Why did I just eject that mag?"

Or the worst is "Hey alright... followed by "Bob Saget!"

I've decided now that the worst thing for me to do is be happy about the way things are going when I'm still on the clock.