Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MEC 900H

hitman

Ran into a deal on a 900H.

Anyone have one of these Hydrolic units?

If so how you like it, any problems.

I have talked to a few reloaders about hydraulic or electric drives for Mec reloading machines. All favored the electric system. You may want to give the electric system some consideration. My sample was small ... and all kinds of other qualifications.

Ran into a deal on a 900H.

Anyone have one of these Hydrolic units?

If so how you like it, any problems.

My hydraulic was one of the first ones they sold. I put about 30 tons of shot through mine with only one problem. The hydraulic cylinder started leaking at about 20 tons. MEC replaced it for no charge.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to watch the electric and hydro Mecs demonstrated at the SW Grand side by side loading several rounds. The hydraulic version is quicker because you can be grabbing a case and a wad while it is cycling. Both are fast. I think the big selling point of the electric is it's quiet and is not easy to leave a finger in there while the loader cycles. With the electric you have to hold two buttons down until it cycles, the hydro uses a foot pedal so both hands are free.

Anyway I will know soon as I have a hydro coming in this week I hope. I didn't want to give up the speed of my dillon but my shoulder and elbow just can't take it anymore. Going to pack up the XL900 and send it in to Dillon for a tune up to make sure it is is perfect condition and then it will be for sale.

I got to watch the electric and hydro Mecs demonstrated at the SW Grand side by side loading several rounds. The hydraulic version is quicker because you can be grabbing a case and a wad while it is cycling. Both are fast. I think the big selling point of the electric is it's quiet and is not easy to leave a finger in there while the loader cycles. With the electric you have to hold two buttons down until it cycles, the hydro uses a foot pedal so both hands are free.

Anyway I will know soon as I have a hydro coming in this week I hope. I didn't want to give up the speed of my dillon but my shoulder and elbow just can't take it anymore. Going to pack up the XL900 and send it in to Dillon for a tune up to make sure it is is perfect condition and then it will be for sale.

I think you'll like it. So far, I haven't pinched a finger with it I don't know if they changed the design of the electric unit, but with the hydraulic you can tell by the sound if something isn't going right and you can just back off the pedal. My friend with the electric unit says that once the machine starts to "jam" it stops by blowing its fuse and there's no backing up.

This may be the thread to answer my question.

If I were to buy a reloader, which would be better? The Mec 9000 or the Dillon?

I haven't done a search, I'm sure I'll hear about that. I will. But for those that have experience or have owner both machines, what are the preferences?

I'm leaning MEC but have been a Dillon guy for all these years with the handgun stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

• 1 year later...

I've run several loaders over the last 35 years. I've got a Mec 9000H. It's my favorite. Loaded thousands of rounds and still going strong. Love the hydrolics. Sooo much easier on the arm. The biggest problem is running out of components because you are loading so many shells.