Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Filling 40 Load

EricW

Anybody have a pet load for .40 that fills a substantial portion of the case?  I'd like to actually be able to clearly *see* the charge at the bottom of the case before I put the bullet in.  Right now, the Titegroup is just a little dab waaay down at the bottom.  Tough to see down there with the press up on a strong mount.  Right now I'm open to anything:  slow burning powders, Gucci powder from Europe, whatever.  It all seems worth it after the near KB on Sunday.

I figure this will have to be my "safety" system until I can upgrade to a 650 or a 1050 with a powder check station.

Thanks!

E

What are you loading for?

155/125PF loads, I'd go with 3.6 - 4.0 of Clays.

180/165PF loads, I'd go with 5.5 - 6.0 of WST.

155 and 165 Hi-performance loads, I'd go with 7.4 -7.8

and 6.7 -7.5 of Power pistol respectively.

Work up any load slowly.....your mileage may vary.

TR

Be careful with that approach.  If the case is filled too much, and your press operation is jerky, you'll be spilling enough powder to make the press hard to operate after a few hundred rounds.  Stopping every 200 rounds to strip and clean the press sucks.

Perhaps a mirror and light setup, to get a good view into the case?

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 8:06 am on Sep. 4, 2002)

I am shooting a G35 in standarddivision.

Reloading on a Dillon SD, for visual checking of the powder charge i placed a spotlight next to the press.

Rounds :

- once fired Winchester brass

- Federal SP200mag. primer

-  6.5 grain VV3N37     or  5.5 VV340

- bullet 180 grains FPRN Frontier (actualy 177 grains)

- O.A.L.  between 28.6 - 28.7 mm

Both powdercharge produce in my gun PF 178

Case is well enough filled to notice double or no charges

Pat,

I'm hip to the light & mirror.   I've been fooling with a Sears, mechanics one wth limited success.  I just want a double charge to be visibly obvious until I can upgrade to a better press.  

E

look at IMR's website.  They have some 'bulky' powders.

http://www.imrpowder.com/handgun/40sw-3.html

7.2 grains of 800-X is alot.  I know 800-X is about the size of corn flakes and burns pretty slow.  It may leave a big mess after a few shots.  It does in my 12 GA OU!

I would go with 700-X myself.  I'm actually going to try that for my 135gr production loads.

(Edited by Chris at 12:33 pm on Sep. 4, 2002)

ErikW,

try with Nitrokemia Rex 3 (the green can) powder.

It's a fairly slow burning powder, and it is quite bulky too. It's not as clean as Vihtavuori, but it's cheap (at least here in Italy).

My training load is the following:

- Fiocchi Brass

- CCI 500 small pistol primers

- 4.8 grs Rex 3 powder

- 200 grs lead FP-BB bullet

- 1.200" O.A.L.

- 175 P.F.

this should give you the visual help you're looking for.

For more info on reloading with Rex 3 powder, visit my web site (www.teamoffire.it), in the english section, reloading page, Infinity file.

EricW, I have just started using 5.8 of Universal at 1.200" around 939 fps. light color and easy to see.  

I do have to work the press slower than I did with TG.  Cuz what Pat said.

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 12:54 pm on Sep. 5, 2002)

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 4:14 pm on Sep. 5, 2002)

Jon, I confess the bulletts sat in my truck for about three hours before the match ( getting warmed up) and the chrono was the second stage i shot so likely still warm.  The precision bulletts are lead with a moly coating of some sort and may move along a little faster  down the barrel  than jacketed ones.  I was alittle worried before the match and thought that I should crank up the charge a coulpe of tenths but had alredy made up 500 of them so decided what the hell if I made minor I would just shot all A aone hits ;)