Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA cover vest / concealment garment

big_kahuna

What is the fastest and/or "gamiest" IDPA cover vest or concealment garment? Looking for the maximum performance advantage within the rules and without incurring an FTDR. Doesn't need to be uber-comfortable for all day wear if I can take it off between stages, but comfort is a plus. Nor does it need to be attractive (but there is a limit to how gross it can look... for a swimsuit example, bermuda shorts are OK but the Borat-style man-thong is going too far). Nor functional for any use except IDPA matches. Have no plans to ever wear this thing out in the world or use it for real life.

Yes, I have searched but I guess my search-fu is weak. Found some great threads on best garment / vest for hot weather, hawaiian shirts, "shoot-me-first" 5.11 vest, concealed carry clothiers, EOTAC, Woolrich Elite, Dale Hunnicutt vest, etc. I couldn't find any threads specifically focused on optimized IDPA match performance as the primary criteria.

Also, is it advantageous to have a large pocket to drop mags into during RWR? Or just cram the mag in a pants pocket? Sorry for the newb questions, this IDPA stuff is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Just go to the IDPA website-they have a small store which sells the IDPA-approved vests.

What is the fastest and/or "gamiest" IDPA cover vest or concealment garment? Looking for the maximum performance advantage within the rules and without incurring an FTDR. Doesn't need to be uber-comfortable for all day wear if I can take it off between stages, but comfort is a plus. Nor does it need to be attractive (but there is a limit to how gross it can look... for a swimsuit example, bermuda shorts are OK but the Borat-style man-thong is going too far). Nor functional for any use except IDPA matches. Have no plans to ever wear this thing out in the world or use it for real life.

Yes, I have searched but I guess my search-fu is weak. Found some great threads on best garment / vest for hot weather, hawaiian shirts, "shoot-me-first" 5.11 vest, concealed carry clothiers, EOTAC, Woolrich Elite, Dale Hunnicutt vest, etc. I couldn't find any threads specifically focused on optimized IDPA match performance as the primary criteria.

Also, is it advantageous to have a large pocket to drop mags into during RWR? Or just cram the mag in a pants pocket? Sorry for the newb questions, this IDPA stuff is new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Woolrich Elite or 5.11 are stiff enough to be gamey. I do not use the vest pockets for RWR, I use front pants pocket. My reasoning is classifiers or standards aren't shot with concealment so I want a consistent place to stuff the mag. JMO

This is by far the gameyist. http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/ Nothing referenced above is even close to being in the same league. And yes, people have used them for years now at the Nationals.

I borrowed one for a few stages a few weeks ago and I would agree with the above. I use a 5.11 tactical vest though and it is pretty good. I can also use it for my photography so I killed 2 birds.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to be a gamer here's some advice. Buy a vest that is one or two sizes too small. You will still have arm movement and you'll have less material to sweep out of the way. There's nothing that says you must be able to close the zipper or buttons. Also, a lot of guys are wearing oversized carpenter pants. Unlike, the pocket cut on traditional jeans or 5.11 style jeans the pocket is easy to get into from the top and if the pants are too big they'll be bunched up and easy to get into. IMHO going to the vest pocket when performing a tac-load is too time consuming.

FYI, the top shooters are doing any of this stuff. They just have mastered the art of squeezing the trigger real fast from shot to shot.

FYI, the top shooters are[n't] doing any of this stuff. They just have mastered the art of squeezing the trigger real fast from shot to shot.
Ah...you mean 'shooting'? :) Edited by Bongo Boy

I use a Thunder Ranch vest I got off ebay. It's lightweight cotton that is vented but within the rules of the IDPA. Stiff enough to sweep it out of the way, and plenty of pockets to hold things. Got it for $27 shipped and it was new. I've seen them for $40 to $80 elsewhere on the net. To me it's a 5.11/Woolrich knock off, so it doesn't look generic IMO. Only comes in 3 colors though.

The 5.11 or Woolrich vests are great. You need to Iion and starch them to keep them stiff so they sweep back straight and fluid. I use a Mountain Hardwear Jacket or vest because I'm really tall and I need to cover the gun. Great luck with it so far. My draw is about 1.2... 1 shot @ 5 yards.

Edited by Doublehaul

Gotta love the "gaming of IDPA" It cracks me up every time, and I love to do it myself.

For some, it's the whole other part of the sport that is done while waiting to shoot.

I say wear a nice blazer or sport jacket (white collar) Ratty old ripped up flannel shirt with pockets (blue collar)

Speedo and mesh vest for... well... the true gamer. If your gonna game it, messing with everyone else's heads is a huge percentage of the object of the act.

Speedo and mesh vest for... well... the true gamer. If your gonna game it, messing with everyone else's heads is a huge percentage of the object of the act.

:P That reminds me of the first time I saw someone shooting in a skin tight Underarmor shirt. It was at a sanctioned match. The SO calmly asked "does that shirt make you shoot faster?". :lol: Messing with everyone else's head would fall under the column of the big boys with man-boobs in the UA... Seen that too. :sick:

Update:

My son and I actually got to examine some of the aforementioned vests, but unfortunately not the uber-gamer one from competitiveconcealment.com. After trying a few different concealment garments (some jackets and a few vests) with a few practice sweeps/draws, we both felt that any reasonably stiff garment seems to work fine for us. None of the vests we tried seemed significantly faster than the others, so I started to eliminate candidates based on other criteria. Here's the process of elimination I went through:

The uber-gamer competitiveconcealment.com vest has an 8 week wait before delivery: I'm impatient enough to veto on this basis alone. If I could get one now I would be all over it.

5.11, Eotac Tactical 101, and Woolrich Elite 44903 vests seemed hot and heavy. The temperatures here in the desert are getting into the 80s and these vests were tolerable... but I can imagine how unhappy I would be in one of these vests when it is warmer. Also don't see the benefits of all the extra pockets, pouches and doodads.

Of the ones I tried, I narrowed the choices down to the Woolrich Elite Lightweight Vest 44424 and the Eotac Discreet Lightweight 102 Vest. Both were stiff enough to sweep well, and light / vented enough to mimize heat loading. Plus, no extraneous pockets or gadgetry. I believe either of these would be a fine choice.

Also want to see the Concealed Carry Clothiers vest that Duaine mentioned, the Tropic one that actually "looks like... a vest." Unfortunately I don't know anyone local who might let me test drive it. It basically looks like a more discrete version of the Woolrich and Eotac lightweights, and seems really interesting. Considering buying one even though I haven't seen it in person, just because it looks different (in a good way, i.e. not "tactical" in appearance).

My son just bought the Eotac Discreet Lightweight 102 for himself and really likes it. He ordered it Monday morning from gmstactical.com, arrived today (Wednesday). He's been dry practicing with it for a couple of hours (you know how kids are with new toys) and he says it is really comfortable.

I still haven't decided which one I'll get for myself yet... and I haven't ruled out a goodwill garment or a BDU coat with the sleeves cut off (both really cheap alternatives). More to follow.

• 6 years later...

Using a sport coat may not be legal per IDPA rules. Because of the cut of most sport coats, when doing the "scarecrow" stance, because of the cut and normal shoulder, it opens enough that one can see the gun from the front. The only option is to button the top button. With this, it becomes legal.....at least when I check 8 of my sport coats. (did this because I want to shoot a sanctioned match in the future and want to be the best dressed revolver shooter there <G>)

Using a sport coat may not be legal per IDPA rules. Because of the cut of most sport coats, when doing the "scarecrow" stance, because of the cut and normal shoulder, it opens enough that one can see the gun from the front. The only option is to button the top button. With this, it becomes legal.....at least when I check 8 of my sport coats. (did this because I want to shoot a sanctioned match in the future and want to be the best dressed revolver shooter there <G>)

I wear a sport coat to work each day, and some days for indoor matches I just ran it as a concealment garment in the cold weather months. I use athletic/tailored fit and I can pass scarecrow with those, but (!) we don't check gear for a weekly indoor match as long as your satisfying the intent of the rules and not gaining competitive advantage we let it slide.

tongue.gif That reminds me of the first time I saw someone shooting in a skin tight Underarmor shirt. It was at a sanctioned match. The SO calmly asked "does that shirt make you shoot faster?". laugh.gif Messing with everyone else's head would fall under the column of the big boys with man-boobs in the UA... Seen that too. :sick:
There was a guy in my squad at the last match wearing exactly that...a tight-fitting "under armor" type shirt for a concealment garment. He passed the scarecrow test easily. I watched him a few times and it sure looked slower to draw from. However, the draw was really the only issue. After he lifted the shirt above his belt line to access the gun, the shirt stayed there! Now his access to spare mags was way faster! He simply used both hands at the buzzer to pull the shirt up above his gun belt, and he was off to the races. Pretty creative IMO...I could see it working for a BUG shooter that may have to reload 3 times (if he has a miss) in a stage. Edited by BillR1

I’ve only shot 3 matches thus far, but my patriot vest has served me well. It's light and airy enough to not be uncomfortable in the California heat, and it came in LT sizes which is why I got it over 511/woolrich offerings. the interrior pockets also stiffen the front pannels quite well, making them fold back rather than crumple. http://concealedcarryoutfitters.com/PatriotVest.php

For the gamiest rig though, I did have an idea...

I’ve looked through the rules, but I’m guessing others know them better than i do. Is there a requirement the concealment garment be retained throughout the course of fire? if not, seems you could shave a second or two by adopting a "tactical sarong", i.e. wrapping a shemagh scarf around your gear and clipping it in place. Buzzer sounds, you sweep it away and it falls to the ground leaving your gear unimpeded.

Begs the question though: are you gamer enough to shoot in a dress? :blush:

I’ve only shot 3 matches thus far, but my patriot vest has served me well. It's light and airy enough to not be uncomfortable in the California heat, and it came in LT sizes which is why I got it over 511/woolrich offerings. the interrior pockets also stiffen the front pannels quite well, making them fold back rather than crumple. http://concealedcarryoutfitters.com/PatriotVest.php

I’ve looked through the rules, but I’m guessing others know them better than i do. Is there a requirement the concealment garment be retained throughout the course of fire? if not, seems you could shave a second or two by adopting a "tactical sarong", i.e. wrapping a shemagh scarf around your gear and clipping it in place. Buzzer sounds, you sweep it away and it falls to the ground leaving your gear unimpeded.

Fun idea. I can't quite quote scripture and verse but I think the spirit of the rules is that the mags are drawn from concealment as well.

Gamer to the Max! I like it!

Fun idea. I can't quite quote scripture and verse but I think the spirit of the rules is that the mags are drawn from concealment as well.

isn't the whole point of being a "gamer" saying to hell with the spirit of the rule, how far can i streach the letter of the rule in my favor?