Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cupping Of Caseheads In Speer Brass

kevin c

I regularly find 9mm and 40sw once fired factory ammo brass from Speer that looks, for lack of a better description, cupped. A friend of mine speculated that this might be hard extraction bending the extractor rim, but the cupping is symmetric around the primer pocket. I don't think that this is a firearm specific breechface problem because I haven't ever seen this in any other brand of factory ammo case.

The brass seems to reload and shoot fine, but I am curious why I see this, and not in other brands of ammo.

The concavity on some of the Speer brass is from a particular machine. To date the engineers have been unable to eliminate it on that machine. Other machines, essentially identical, do not leave the brass with the concave head. When first discovered, besides trying to eliminate it, testing was conducted to evaluate the effect on function. No problems were found with the ammunition in functioning, so, at least until they can discoiver and eliminate the cause, the decision was made to allow it as "normal" for that machine.

We're not happy it looks that way, but are certain it is cosmetic, and will not cause functional problems.

Guy