Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armscor Brass

SVI4ME

I bought some Armscor Brass from the Nats. Has the jury made any decisions? I have heard some good and some bad. I only keep my brass about 4 or 5 loadings anyway before losing it and it is cheaper than Starline.

:o

Rob

got a case or supercomp to try as practice ammo b4 bend. and yes, the headstamp is the same as 38 super...in fact, i found about 11 out of 1,000 were actually the wrong caliber. i won't buy them again...primer pockets really out of spec, compared to starline...smashed a bunch. also, they sure seem to be less willing to flare at stage 2, which caused a number of bullets to smash the brass on stage 3. i did not change my dies from the set i use w/starline.

My experience was pretty similar. Primer pockets were very irregular, some tight, some loose. Case length varied alot. Many lengthwise splits in the case on first firing. I loaded 200 rounds fired about 50 and threw the rest away.

We ran about 5,000 pieces and had similar experiences as well. Some ensuing discussions at the Nats with some top dawgs indicated they too were having similar experiences. General consensus is that they are GREAT for practice, but to continue with the Starline for big matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a case of Armscor 38 super rimless brass last year, and have used it all season. I was very meticulous about keeping track of how many loadings I went through on them.

Basically, I used 2-3 firings with practice loads (162 PF, but we only need 160 in IPSC rules, not USPSA), before taking them to matches where I loaded 169 PF (115 grn Montana Gold JHP, 9.2 grns V3n37 Federal Small Rifle Primer loaded on Dillon 1050).

I made it all the way up to 10 firings before any of the brass started to show any cracks at the case mouth, but I was losing most of my brass after about 5-6 firings anyways.

Out of the case of 2500, I did have about 10 that were regular .38 super instead of rimless, but since I use a .223 shellplate, I caught those pretty quick. Some of the primer pockets seemed a bit tighter and resulted in primers that didn't quite seat as deep as the rest, but primers still seated fine and fired fine.

2 out of the case did not have a primer flash hole.

Not having had any major problems with the brass, I plan on buying another 10k in the Spring, as soon as we can get import permits for the stuff.

• 3 years later...

I have a couple cases of this brass, AP02 and AP04

This past weekend, i shot some of my full power loads, (170PF) through my new STI. Out of a about 150 shots, I had at least 10 split cases. Not had problems prior. Number or reloads not certain. Question, could the splits be from hot brass hitting cold snpw?

I will continue to use this stuff, but am thinking that I may want to carefully segregate it as to number of loads from now on. Keep the used stuff I have, run it out a time or two and lose it, then start fresh and keep count.

Comments?

I also have Starline and Lapua brass in case lots that I will probably use for steel where I have a reasonable chance of recovery.

Jim

I recently purchased 2500 38 supers, and they seemed to be doing fine but I have found a few (about 5/700) that split after the first firing. Not sure what to think, but plan on keeping a close eye on them.

I've never bought any Armscor brass. All the AP 38 super brass I've used has been found on the range. With that out of the way, all the AP brass I've loaded and shot has worked fine out of my pistols, but that hasn't been that large a sample to base a comprehensive test on.

Iam out of 38 Rimless right now, That should help... :blink::blink:

Ivan

:o

That just won't do Ivan!

I purchased a couple thousand rounds of Starline 38 Supercomp and a couple thousand Armscorp 38 rimless when I got the Open Blaster and the 1050. Starline sucks big time, rim is too fat to go into my press about 15 to 20% of the time. (Must be a bad batch). If you really want to cuss your reloader try getting a smashed piece of brass out of a 1050. :angry:

Never a problem with the Armscorp and it costs less! :)

My experience was pretty similar. Primer pockets were very irregular, some tight, some loose. Case length varied alot. Many lengthwise splits in the case on first firing. I loaded 200 rounds fired about 50 and threw the rest away.

My last batch (2006) had some split in the press before first firing.

THEY do not feed feed very well like THAT! :lol:

The first batch of Armscor I had was a little better.

I loose my brass pretty fast so I wasn't expecting to load 10 or 12 reloads like some people claim they get with the extra good brands.

I think Armsor can have a niche market with their brass if they can keep the price way below Starline, Lapau and Hornady.

But if I were young and super serious I would buy the extra good stuff! :P

FM

I recently purchased 2500 38 supers, and they seemed to be doing fine but I have found a few (about 5/700) that split after the first firing. Not sure what to think, but plan on keeping a close eye on them.

Sorry for reading this thread in reverse but DMH's ratios have to be real close to mine. I just didn't expect to split loading them before becoming once fired brass. I case gage all of my ammo and the split ones passed without me seeing the split. They don't feed in real life very well however! :lol:

FM