Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade-Tech conversion problem

bossharley

I am a new shooter and will be starting IDPA at my local club. I purchased a Blade-tech DOH and want to remove the drop down section.

The problem, one of the screws on the mount appears to be glued in and the backing rotates freely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a beginner

John

I had the same issue. You just gotta find a way to keep the backing from rotating. I just cut out a little strip of sandpaper and pressed on it with my thumb as I unscrewed the bolt.

Here's what I did on a different model holster with the same problem.

Find a bolt and matching nut with the same size threads. If you have a few thread available on the back side of your problem fastener, thread in the bolt with nut as far as you can, then tighten the nut up against the back of the spinning fastener in the holster to act as a locknut. Then you shout be able to put a wrench on your new locknut and hold the faster from the back to keep it from spinning as you loosen the holster attachment screw.

Hope my explanation was clear...should work like a charm if you have a few threads available. Worked for me for even holster fasteners with locktite on the threads.

Good luck.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

I am a new shooter and will be starting IDPA at my local club. I purchased a Blade-tech DOH and want to remove the drop down section.

The problem, one of the screws on the mount appears to be glued in and the backing rotates freely.

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a beginner

John

I just bought one myself. Now I'm prepared for the headache ahead of time. Thanks!

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a beginner

John

I just bought one myself. Now I'm prepared for the headache ahead of time. Thanks!

Mine is really stuck in there

1) latex glove didn't work for me

2) sandpaper just polished up the screw head!

3) threading a screw/bolt from the other side, didn't work as soon as I started to unscrew the outside screw - the inside one just unscrews as that one is not glued in.

I guess I can always drill out the screw, or try cutting a slot in the back nut, but then might have to replace them before using the holster.

I have sent Blade-tech an email - hope they have decent customer service -

I was really hoping to use this next weekend in my first IDPA shoot, but doesn't look good so far.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I use a small dremel cut off wheel and cut slots in mine. This allows me to loosen or tighten as needed. I actually get mine where I want them then loctite them so I don't need to worry about loosening.

+1 to NoSteel's answer. I did the same, and have a right-angle screw-driver I can use inside the holster. They do really, really suck, and it always amuses me when folks say, "Oh, you can switch the configuration around, and back, for IDPA and USPSA, and..."

I use a small dremel cut off wheel and cut slots in mine. This allows me to loosen or tighten as needed. I actually get mine where I want them then loctite them so I don't need to worry about loosening.

I was trying to formulate this idea as well. Just wondering how wide to cut the slots - then what to use to slip into the slots. I was thinking of a flat blade screwdriver bit, held by vice grips or pliers.

It would be helpful to have 3 hands....

Thanks for the ideas and support.

John

"I have sent Blade-tech an email - hope they have decent customer service -" :roflol::lol:
My thoughts exactly. But I did not want to add fuel to the guy's fire. I have been there, done that, got that Tshirt.

Seriously, If I had to guess you will end up sending it back if it is stuck that bad. The only other thing I can think of is drill a hole into the "nut" from outside the holster and stick something in it for leverage. That is if you can get a good angle on it. Good luck

This worked great < 1 minute with the dremel, nice flathead screwdriver and it was like it wasn't stuck at all. I think I may 'notch' them all to be sure I don't have any further issues.

Blade-tech was very friendly, but not helpful - first they asked if I had lock-tited it in there as if that was a bad thing(they recommend it), then said just grab it with pliers - I couldn't get a solid hold at all -

finally send it back to them and they will get it free......

Thanks for everyone's help

We change a lot of BT holster attachments and have run into this before, some of the screws they use have a blue thnreadlocker patch on them and it's really tough to get them out. Once you get those out you need to replace them with the screws that do not have the threadlocker on them but you will need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't fall out during a match, I carry spare screws because of this. If you don't have some new screws send me a pm and I'll send you some once we figure out which ones they are.

• 10 years later...