Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 load for Rem 660?

Flexmoney

I have a Remington 660 in .308 just sitting around.  I have some hunting rounds that I loaded many years ago (I did the loading on my father's recipes).

I'd like to break the gun out and see what it can do.  It's a short barreled and light gun (kicks like a mule).

Can anybody suggest some wimpy target or varmit loads that shoot accurately?

My wife has a Mohawk 600 in .308 Win with a shortened stock.  She doesn't even like 38 grains of 748 under a 150 gr. jacketed bullet.  A light accurate load she does like is about 8 grains of PB under 140 - 150 gr. cast lead bullet out to 100+ yds.    I like 16 - 20 grains of 2400 under 165 - 180 gr. cast lead bullet for 200 yds or more.

Thanks guys.

Keep them coming.  I am look to punch paper and test some optic...no need to knock anything over (Including me).

Easy to find component would be ideal.  I haven't reloaded rifle for about 15 years...it would be nice to find the suggested powders on my father's shelf.

You wooses.

Use 44grains H4895 and a 150gr projectile 2800fps in a 22", ??? in yours. Just go for it.

If you do really!!!!! want to keep recoil down use a 125gr nosler balistic tip and use 46grains BL-C2 or 748 whichever you have on hand, velocity 2700 in 22" so should run 2500 in the 660.

Or for real gentle loads for kids, try 200gr lead sized .310" and 9grains Winchester Super Target. 1000fps approx. All loads use Federal 210 Large Rifle Primer.

Flex, guess what I use that load for.

If standard loads are too strong, sell the rifle and get a 223.  A 308 is pretty stout unless you can see the bullet leave the barrel, and then you loose everything it was designed to do.  I wouldn't shoot an elephant with a .22 rimfire and I don't think I would teach a young girl to shoot with a 308 no matter what the load.

"...sell the rifle "

My father gave me this rifle.  It can't be bought.

There is no rifle hunting for deer in Ohio.  So I don't have the opportunity/need to shoot it much (the "triple duece" takes care of any groundhogs I need to dispatch).

The loads that I have for the gun were made up about a decade and a half ago.  I would have to assume they are full-power hunting loads.  (I don't have the rounds or a rifle reloading book at this house...nor the rifle, for that matter.)

Just looking for some target loads...as I am about the only person that likes to shoot the gun with the loads that I have.

Now...if anybody wants to come to Ohio and show me how tough they are...I have quite a few boxes of ammo for them to prove themselves on.  I could use the brass.

If no WST around use N320, Titegroup, HP38 or anything of similar burn rate for the lead. Use seperate brass and keep it that way.

Look up a Hodgdon manual, I use #26 for my lead loads. Try page 505. I have the new one, but its down stairs and I'm too lazy to go look.

24grains H4198 or IMR4198, 180gr Lead with Gas check = 1900 fps.

Or go with the 125grainers.

By the way I own an 8lb 458 x 2" based on a Sako 308 action, I NEVER shoot this puppy prone. 350gr Pointed Soft Point at 2250fps. Thats 3750ft lbs energy or F Me That Shook My Teeth. So send the airfare and I will give anything a crack.

Flex,

First things first, those loads will always belt, heavy bullet and light gun, not the best mix.

180gr Speer load should be very gentle only 2200fps in two diffent load manuals and out of a 22" barrel.

200gr again about 2200fps in a 22" barrel maybe a little less with a slower burner like 4350. ( well slow for 308 )

165gr ( one of my favourites ) this load with 4064 is 1gr more than Hodgdon reccomend and 1/2 grain more than Sierra, admitedly an old Sierra amnual. Try closer to 42.5 and I expect the recoil will reduce quite a bit.

All depends on exactly what you are going to annoy, targets or bambi.

I've gone out with women younger than those loads. But I do have whiskey that is somewhat older.

I had a feeling those loads had been around a while...and that they were for putting meat on the table.

This gun has tip-off scope rings...so that you can go to the steel sights at close range.  I don't really like the idea...so I am thinking about changing sighting systems.  My quest for a lighter load would be to have something soft and accurate so that I can test the equipment...knock down power isn't important at this time.

I'm not tied to any of those old loads.  I imagine that there is still some of that powder left on my father's reloading shelf though.

Thanks for all the advice so far everybody.

• 9 years later...

Flex,

How did the load development go? I found this during a search today. As an aside, Hodgdon is publishing "youth" loads using H4895 on their web site. I loaded some up and got acceptable (hunting) accuracy at 100 yds. A low recoil optin for practice and starting shooters.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf