Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulging at base of 9x19 cases

matt2ace

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not an expert on the issue, but Wil Schuemann once told me that the radius on the AET (which is there to increase reliability) will show the pressure signs easily if there is a serious problem with your load. Similar to a check engine light on your dash board.

The flutes in the chamber are there to aid extraction. If a chamber is polished the brass can stick to the side of the chamber in a vapor lock situation. Much like sticking two pieces of glass together, a vapor lock is established. This requires additional force to extract the spent case and it takes energy out of the slide which is needed to rechamber the next round. So sometimes without the flutes it may appear to be feeding issue when it is really a extraction problem.

If you check the reloading manuals different brass in 9MM can change the pressure by 4k psi due to the case capacity. So mixing the brass can have serious affects, I only use one head stamp for my reloads. Decreasing the oal by .010" in a standard 9 MM load can also increase pressure by 10 k so be sure to lengthen your oal when adding powder to make major.

I am running a 124 hap at 1.180 aol with 7.0 autocomp in my AET barrels with no pressure signs.

Hope this helps.

In their website it was clearly stated that the bulgebuster wont work on 9x19 because of its rim and tapered case

That's correct, the case is tapered. That's why they recommend the 9x18 FCD if you want to use the bulge buster kit on your 9x19. They are nearly (.004" difference) same diameter at the largest portion of the case, according to SAAMI.