Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 or STI GP6?

Well, I just ordered an M&P Pro 9mm but it's going to take 4-6 weeks and I just feel like buying another gun. Anyways, what should I buy. I don't want anything expensive just something around $700 or so. I was looking at the CZ SP-01 Phantom or the STI GP6. Which one would you recommend and why? The gun won't really have any specific uses just something to mess around with. The M&P Pro will be my IDPA gun for when there isn't a USPSA match. Anyways, what are your experiences with either or both of these guns?

Thanks,

Pete

I own the GP6. I really can't say enough about it. Try before you buy if at all possible. I recently ran mine back to back with an SP01 over the chrony. The SP01 felt harsher in recoil and the trigger in single action sucks by comparison.

I'm using the fiber optic front sight, and Dynamic rear, with the big head mag release.

If I already have an STI, I would get the SPO1 so that way, I have 2 from the

best worlds. There really isn't a shooter I know that didnt like the SPO1. +1

on trying it out on the range. After all, you are the one that will shoot it.

I would pay attention on how you grip the gun NATURALLY. For me, That is where your

shooting foundation is.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

With US Production rules, i.e. 10 rounds max per mag, I'd go with a standard CZ-75. A CZ shoots as flat as can be with 9mm minor loads, so I feel, that the more weight hanging out there in front is a liability more than an asset. The only caveat is, that the CZ mags are crap, IMHO. When I used a CZ I irreparably broke 1 Mag per month. (The lips that hold the basepad separated from the tube.) Maybe you can go with Mecgars, that might be better. But I have no experience with them. Other than that, I think, the CZ-75 Platform is really good. The single action trigger on mine was very good. Although I didn't use the double action trigger much (I started in IPSC standard with it), I'd say, it was good. (Well yes, there i one more caveat: The slidestop tends to break. Be prepared to replace it once in a while and carry a spare for matches.)

With US Production rules, i.e. 10 rounds max per mag, I'd go with a standard CZ-75. A CZ shoots as flat as can be with 9mm minor loads, so I feel, that the more weight hanging out there in front is a liability more than an asset. The only caveat is, that the CZ mags are crap, IMHO. When I used a CZ I irreparably broke 1 Mag per month. (The lips that hold the basepad separated from the tube.) Maybe you can go with Mecgars, that might be better. But I have no experience with them. Other than that, I think, the CZ-75 Platform is really good. The single action trigger on mine was very good. Although I didn't use the double action trigger much (I started in IPSC standard with it), I'd say, it was good. (Well yes, there i one more caveat: The slidestop tends to break. Be prepared to replace it once in a while and carry a spare for matches.)

Strange, after many years of shooting CZ's in competition, never have had a mag go bad. Sure, a new magazine spring every few years but other than that they just keep running.

Go with the SP-01.

Strange, after many years of shooting CZ's in competition, never have had a mag go bad. Sure, a new magazine spring every few years but other than that they just keep running.

Go with the SP-01.

As far as more expierienced shooters told me, there seems to be a difference between current mags and older ones. The old ones, they told me could take, whatever you dished out. The newer ones kept breaking constantly. (Although CZ replaced them for free, it was a major hassle, to wait for the mags to be shipped to them and return. They really took their time.)

But to be fair, I'd like to add, that the concrete floor of the place where I train is very, very harsh on the mags. I had no problems with my Rescomp 2011 mags though. (BTW, I even broke 2 mags in one training session once, and everybody including the smith who sold them to me agreed, that the metallurgy or something must have been bad.) So, take it for what it's worth - my experience only. The mags I broke were 3 18 rounders and 1 15 rounder. (I only started using the 15 rounder, when most of my 18 rounders were on their way to be replaced.)

My CZ has run for 18 years with no part breakage. I am still using the original mag tubes with new springs and followers. I do carry a spare slide stop. The finish is worn but no rust and slide glide #3 keeps it tight. My best pistol.

I'd wait a while on the GP6. Too new and unproven for me. Not a bash just too new.

FWIW

Richard

Um, it's been in production since 2003. My origional K100 was made in 2004. Since then, they have improved an already great design. It's new to the US market, but it's not a new design.

I just saw a version of the GP-6 on Gunbroker that was made in Switzerland and looked great.It was called something else, but it is the same gun. I think there are several companies selling that very pistol with a different nomenclature.

I just shot a CZ 75 SA Tactical Sport. I liked it so much, that I think I will buy one. It was really accurate, felt and pointed alot like my HiPowers, and that trigger was SWEET! It has a couple of adjustments that you can do to taylor the trigger reset and take-up, seems like a limited set up right out of the box.

I asked, "Who did this trigger?"

"Stock" was the answer.

I just said "Whoa!"

We will see, but I got a feeling that I will be shooting one by the middle of the season. Try the CZs out. They are great guns. They really feel good in your hands.

Also, the front sights on the TS are removeable by drifting out a small roll pin, sliding the sight out, and putting the replacement in, then drifting the pin in. The mag release is also easily changed from RH to LH. Magwelll is nice and large too. What more can you ask for in a stock pistol? It is essentially a race ready pistol out of the box.

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

I own 3 STI's and theyre great, but the CZ will have you 30-40% more competitive the day you get it. Advice, dis' the Phantom and just buy a $525 all stell, sa/da non deckocker version from Angus Hobell - Ghost Products or Matt Mink of Automatic Accuracy (a 3 slot, then for $175, have either do a trigger job, install an 85 Combat trigger and competition rear fixed and f/o font sight, and get youself some grip tape. You will have one of, if not the most competitive legal production gun out there (I own 12 tweaked CZ's) - in your going to shoot IDPA too, then get an 85 Combat with the same work.

You wont regret it.

Jon

I never posted here but I ended up buying the CZ SP01 Custom. It's had a bit of work done to it and has a sick 2lb. SA trigger. I really like the gun so far and I'm now waiting on my Comp-Tac holster for it. I'll give it a whirl in IDPA when my gear arrives. I also picked up an M&P Pro 9mm to try out as well.

Pete

Please post how you like the new piece of sports equipment.

Never even held one in my hands, only saw pictures.

If you don't like it, there's always Teutonic Combat Tupperware.

(edited due to cranium flatulence)

post-16271-1240705509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Team Amish 1

Hello: I just bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow. The DA trigger was 11lbs untill I changed the hammer spring to a 13lb one on the advice of Stuart(EERW). It is now 6lbs without polishing yet. I am going to shoot it today to try it. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: I just bought a CZ SP-01 Shadow. The DA trigger was 11lbs untill I changed the hammer spring to a 13lb one on the advice of Stuart(EERW). It is now 6lbs without polishing yet. I am going to shoot it today to try it. Thanks, Eric

you may get some light primer strikes, we switche to federal primers and the problemwent away

you may get some light primer strikes, we switche to federal primers and the problemwent away

13# runs great for me..WIN and Fed primers are easy. CCI may need a little tweak.

I run a 13# clipped two or three oils and the diameter turned down..do some other tweaks in the gun..and can ignite anything. DA is anbout 5# with this.

Would love a chance to play with a GP6 great SA from the factory..DA is smooth, a little long compared to the CZ..but that's only one shot.

on bamaynes he got a bunch FTF (during a match that he still smoked everyone)he would do single action, double action without any idea when, it was funny on mine there was only a few so we switched to fed's i love this gun

sorry if i drifted