Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taurus PT 1911

fenwick

I bought one when the first came out a little over two years ago i think. I put about 6,000 rounds through it before I buldged the barrel with a squib. I really liked it.

What did you do with it after this? Did you send it back to Taurus for repair?

Like most of the others, I really like mine. Been using it for over a year with no problems other than, eh, operator error. I also bulged the barrel (looks kind of cool) and have a barrel backordered. Judging from how long its been since I ordered the replacement barrel, it must be coming to me on foot. :roflol:

Also, don't buy Taurus mags; they're overpriced. Get some Wilson Combats; works great!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own two Kimbers (series I Yonkers Kimbers) and it's a night and day difference between what $6-700 buys you and $1000.

YMMV.

I got no dog in this fight, but I shoot with guys that think of Kimbers as cheap pieces of crap. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder, or as some might say, holder of the billfolder. Well just a thought.

I got no dog in this fight, but I shoot with guys that think of Kimbers as cheap pieces of crap. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder, or as some might say, holder of the billfolder. Well just a thought.

I agree. I shared my experience. I'm really happy with my Kimbers. They're not Wilsons, RRAs, or Baers, but they're a hell of a lot better than my friend's old Taurus.

• 3 months later...
The only problem I've had with mine is a broken ejector (even when it broke, it still ran... just freaked me out when I took it apart to clean it after Area 3 last year)... slapped in a new extended one (forged... not mim), and it still runs great.

This piece didn't break until well after 30,000 rounds... and I have another 10,000+ through it with no problems.

The only "work" I've done to mine is to put on some wrap around grips. My next project is a magwell. Yes... I use the sights that came with it. They aren't great, but they do the job once you get used to them.

This is the piece that I use for Single Stack competition, and occasionally L10...

Frank

Please...What do you mean by: (forged... not mim)?

Thanks,

Larry P

MIM stands for Metal Injection Molded, it is a precise way of casting metal so that it requires less (or no) machining to get it to final dimension. It is considerably cheaper to mass produce MIM parts than to mass produce forged parts.

Hurley

I tend to think that the Taurus is a cheap piece of crap.

Perhaps not a bad starter, but certainly nowhere near the fit and finish of a quality 1911.

My first IDPA gun was a PT 1911. I then purchased a STI Spartan and noticed a considerable difference immediately. Much, much, much, more accurate and smoother action.