Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 or 135 grain Sinterfire for 40SW Major

Dowter

I just heard a glowing recommendation for 125gr Sinterfire bullets.  Basically they said that there was very low muzzle rise.  

OK.  I've been down this road before.  What's the trade-off when you shoot a real fast 125gr bullet at major pf?

What's cool is that sinterfire already has loading data for the powder that I'm using - Titegroup.  I'm just waiting to hear what the trade-off is.

BTW- Sinterfire has a short OAL for their bullets - 1.120.  I prefer to load at 1.200.  What's the trade off there too?

Thanks in advance.

(Edited by Dowter at 6:38 pm on Sep. 22, 2002)

The short load length will be because the projectile will have a very short bearing surface (parrallel bits on side of bullet) and you have to have a reasonable amount in the case to get a good grip, to keep it straight and to make sure that the projectile does not dislodge when feeding, and no you can't just up the crimp.

The slide speed will probably get quite high and you will have to experiment with springs, but that will be fairly easy to do. Make sure that you keep an eye on your shokbuffs, they will wear like an open gun. Best thing will be the flattening of the trajectory, should you need to shoot out to 50Y.

Impressive muzzle blast and flash in low light. Increased barrel wear from all that burning gas, I expect?!?!?!?!?

Really watch primer movement and firing pin length, the pressure will peak quite quickly and you will have to be very careful about primers and case head expansion.

Only use a full supported chamber, just in case.

I have used 135grainers Noslers and 140gr Lead, all at Major PF in my Ruger PC 40S&W rifle. Great fun on goats and rabbits. I have yet to try them in my pistols.

Dowter, Beven Grams uses the sinterfire bullets, and also distributes them.  Drop him a line, and he can answer your questions.  He gave me some to try, and they are very different.  The length of the bullet is very similar to the 180JHPS I am using now, since they use sintered copper instead of lead.  The loads I worked up were a good bit sharper than the 180s and the muzzle seemed to jump less.  They really shine on steel where you get no splash back what so ever.  The only caution I have heard is to watch your crimp.  The bullets are brittle, and will crack if you crimp them.

I asked Beven about the OAL.  From what I remember, a Sinterfire 125gr has the profile of a 180gr lead (same size, less dense), so you can indeed load out to 1.200.

FWIW, I have noticed a significant reduction in muzzle flip by switching from 180 grs to 165grs.  I didn't switch powder, just had to use a bit more is all.  I know that Beven uses either N340 or N350, but I don't know what that powder/bullet combo might yeild in a non-comped gun.  

Hi Dowter.

I have been using Sinterfire 125g .40 bullets at major pf for several years now, and their 105g .40 bullet at a 140 pf for steel. The 125g is the same size as a 180g lead bullet, so it can be loaded up to an OAL of 2.225" if you want, but I would recommend 1.175" max for the 125g and 1.155" for the 105g bullet. These lengths are easier to use for the reason of getting  rid of the bell in the loading process. Austin Hemphill hit on several good points about the crimp. Don't crimp, just get rid of the bell. He also noticed the great point about using frangible bullets. No more getting hit by your own bullet frags.

Both Austin and Big Dave confirmed my feelings on using lighter .40cal. bullets. The lighter the bullet, the less muzzle flip you will get, but with more recoil. I use the 125g in both open and limited. The front sight comes back to the target very fast for the second shot, and the trade in more recoil is worth it for me. In open, the higher pressure load works the comp better. The speed of the bullet to the target is great for steel, (950fps vs 1375fps) compaired to a 180g lead bullet.

Titegroup will be too fast of a powder for major pf, but will work for minor. I do use N340 for my major pf loads with the 125g Sinterfire bullets.