Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting 155 gr in a 45

shadetree

I did it years ago....lead SWC's.  I liked them a lot, but getting the OAL is tough, reliability is sometimes an issue.  You need to seat the bullet to where the bullet edge is flush with the case mouth, not stepped up like you typically do with the bigger wadcutters.

You did not mention brand or bullet style, but since the weight is 155 (not 152) I assume you are talking about the sintered Iron powder, copper-electroplated rounded flat point by WestCoast bullet. Tried them in .45ACP w/ titegroup and have  been impressed with the shooting quality. If price comes down, I may switch to them entirely. These are a rounded flat point design (same design as used by the top guys) and in .45, they are quite large for the weight - about like a 260grn lead bullet. Seemed like Titegroup would be a good propellant for the ltd case volume. Got to about 160 Powerfactor first time out and both function and accuracy were very good.

Expiramented with the lead National bullet 152 SWCs some time ago - these were once the darlings of many of the .45 open gun shooters - they really got the comp working. For my limited gun, the 152s lacked the quality control and involved too much loading hassle to bother with - I switched to the plated bullets. Now the new sintered bullets, well we shall see.

• 1 month later...