Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ord. ? Is this a good deal?

SammyK

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advise here. I have a chance to buy a Para Ord. S14.45 limited for $995 plus tax. It is new in box. Does this seem to be a good deal? I know nothing about Para Ord. pistols I have heard some bad things from some people at the public range I use form time to time but I would have to say i don't trust that group. Problems they are talkig about are FTE and stovepiping mainly. Do these come with two mags new?

Here is a link to the manufactures page Para S14.45

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Some people are having FTE problems because of the power extractor. If you add a few hundred you can get a used edge/eagle or even a used custom built.

I have had a Para P14 that I still shoot regularly since 1996 and have never really had a problem with it. If you do buy it remember that, if you do not like it, that Para does not hold their value like other brands.

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advise here. I have a chance to buy a Para Ord. S14.45 limited for $995 plus tax. It is new in box. Does this seem to be a good deal? I know nothing about Para Ord. pistols I have heard some bad things from some people at the public range I use form time to time but I would have to say i don't trust that group. Problems they are talkig about are FTE and stovepiping mainly. Do these come with two mags new?

Here is a link to the manufactures page Para S14.45

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Price seems awfully high. I've seen well-worked over, professionally tuned Para's with lots of upgraded parts for well under 1K. For me, I'd rather get a used, known-reliable gun with several thousand rounds through it and some custom work done than a box-stock gun.

I agree, price is a little on the high side. I bought an SX1640S for $450 and recently a PX189S for $500, both in excellent condition. Figure the cost of converting them to a series 70 and changing out some of the parts (trigger group, ambi-safety, and getting rid of the PXT) will make up for the rest of my spending. Great guns, but there are definately some things that need to go (PXT!). Just my $.02.

Regards,

Brian

Price is OK, but it certainly isn't a steal. I have a 16.40 that I like, but it has had trigger work, a mag well and sights added. In hindsight, for the amount of money that I threw into it, I'd probably have been happier with a stock Edge.

Don't have a Para, my shooting buddy bought one and after spending more money to get it where he really liked it...... he had Cheely build him a custom EDGE. He would most likely say he should have just gotten the EDGE in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

I would avoid Para Ordnance and try and find a used Edge or Eagle for a little more money. If you start replacing the so-so OEM Para parts, you could probably get an STI. I had a mildly tricked out P-14 that was totally reliable start to give me mutliple types of unexplainable problems during a state match. I nearly cut it in half with a blowtorch. The other guys at the club couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either. I ended up dumping it and getting an Edge.

Keep checking this site for a good deal on a Para. That being said, I drank the kool-aid and sold my P-16 and bought two STI's. One is a bone stock Tactical 5.0 and the other is a Benny Hill Custom job. Both are fine pistols. Run great, very tight, very accurate and reliable. But, here's the kicker. My scores have been slightly lower since I transitioned to the STI's. I can't quite put my finger on it yet, but it may be the slightly lighter weight. I shot my Para trouble free for over 13 years and I have only had the STI's a few months. I am sure with a little more trigger time things will come around.

I said all that to say , don't fear the Para they can be very good guns for the money.

I currently own three Paras, 2 Limited and one Open. One Ltd is a frame only built by EGW, the other is a Para LTD with a magwell and a trigger job. The open gun is essentially a ground up build. OLD SCHOOL with a tube sight, It generally runs well, just stole its aftec for my new STI open gun that was puking all the time.

The question is this, would I buy a Para if I were doing this again today? I would probably not. I would probably buy and STI maybe a sight tracker. Downside is the one to two round deficit vs the Para, upsides are the many qualified builders, the support that STI gives to shooters through the contingency program.

Am I generally happy with my Paras? Yes. I have had some problems, mostly due to my own fault and some to a barrel replacement that could have been better.

Jim

I have a S14-45 and besides a trigger reset problem from a wider mag body it has been great. I did a trigger job(2.5lbs pull) and added a DP magwell, mag ext(holds 18+1)and some skateboard tape. I have about 1400 rounds through it and I really like the gun. $995 is cheaper than what I paid. :angry2: