Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I ordered an RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo

I ordered an RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo

I heard a lot of good things about it and finally order one from Midway - to my house $299.02 (best price I found - and it was Available, can you believe it?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...m_campaign=9315

I plan to use it more with my stick powders than with ball.

Hack

Edited by Hack

Another brother told me he followed my link and the price is 319.99.

Here's my response to him:

"Wow, hayseed, last night it showed 319.99, but it was also listed in RED as "ON SALE" for 287.99 and with S&H (11.03) it cost me 299.02.

I just clicked on the link I gave and see that the read sale price is gone, it just shows 319.99.

Looks like I got lucky and bought it just in time for the sale price.

You may try calling Midway and see if they'd do the sale price for you."

Hack

I will soon be buying a powder dispenser myself but had been leaning toward the Lyman. Why did you opt for the RCBS? Thanks in advance.

Two reasons:

1- I already have an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale and it is great. So, I figured that had to count for something. Truthfully, I didn't even think about the Lyman, no reason not to, it just didn't enter my mind. You may want to re-visit Midway and read the rating on the two.

2- And speaking of ratings, after I read all the ratings on the RCBS 1500 Combo on Midway (I think their were 48, almost 5 stars across the board), it reinforced my belief that this was a good dispenser and since it was on sale for $287, I figured I'd drop the dime on it. Good thing I did, too, because this morning the sale was gone and it was back up to $320.

But it can be had for under $300 ($299.99 at Midsouth) - but the stock is low and I'll bet soon to be "Out of Stock".

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item...?sku=0004498923

Hack

Edited by Hack

The RCBS is the way to go.

Leave it powered up and turned on ALL the time. That is important in getting consistent and repeatable accuracy out of it. Also make sure you recalibrate it each time you use it.

My experience with the ChargeMaster is mixed.

When it is working, it works great. About half the time, though, it acts up while dispensing powder. It acts sort of like there's a clutch that is slipping; the motor runs but the trickler tube doesn't. The scale part has worked well. RCBS says they will warranty the ChargeMaster, but I'm still out the return shipping and a few weeks use.

I also have a 750 scale that has been problematic. It drifts pretty dramatically. It finally drove me to getting the Uniquetek scale that is accurate to 0.02 grain. I've had it several months now and love it.

Wow... VERY nice. I use a method for developing my loads that gives me a large margin for error in throwing charges, but having the ability to get that accurate is a good feature in a scale. Might have to pick one up anyway.