Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Green Egg - BBQ grills

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gas grill is up to grilling temperature (450 - 500 degrees) in 8 - 10 minutes, max.

How long does it take the Traeger to get to 450 degrees?

Brian,

My Traeger takes about 30 minutes to get up to 450 or thereabouts. The firebox is about 4" in diameter, and there's a lot of volume to heat.

Just go to a BBQ cook off, or even watch one on TV. You never see anyone doing gas. Kinda like chili...beans are a no no.

They didn't sit in traffic for an hour and a half, have other things to get done, then get up for work the next morning.

Dan-work is way overrated...i gave that crap up 4 years ago. Suggest you do the same. It's never enuf, i know.

Up to this point, all my grilling is just cooking a couple pieces of meat for me and Candis for dinner. Steaks, burgers, fish, chops, bison steaks and burgers... 2 at a time.

I'm not a fan of the needing a plug for the Traeger, but if I really liked the thing - for my current cooking style - which I'm starting to doubt, it would be real easy to put a 110 box behind where it would be. (The wall panel is 15 feet to the right of the grill's spot.)

My drawback with the BGE - I don't think I want to dealing with lighting charcoal every night just to cook 2 pieces of meat.

That's the beauty of the gas grill - fire it up when Candis starts making the salads, and slap the meat on when the salads are done.

Maybe I should just stick with a gas grill. (I'll never have more than one grill).

Thanks for all the feedback.

I just saw this. I take it you already know how to cook bison, but just in case you don't the Trager isn't going to work very well. Sear those steaks over really high heat coals (like 500-600 degrees) for about 1.5 minutes each side then drop them to low heat and slow roast them till medium rare. There is no better meat on the planet. Sounds like that's right up the BGE's alley and with a bit of experimentation it would be fabulous.

I work 40+ hours a week and still find plenty of time to cook on the BGE 2-3 times a week. I've had several gas grills, a Traeger and now a large BGE. It is by far the most versatile grill I've ever owned. FWIW, I've never owned a true wood smoker. They do look interesting. Maybe one day.....

Up to this point, all my grilling is just cooking a couple pieces of meat for me and Candis for dinner. Steaks, burgers, fish, chops, bison steaks and burgers... 2 at a time.

I'm not a fan of the needing a plug for the Traeger, but if I really liked the thing - for my current cooking style - which I'm starting to doubt, it would be real easy to put a 110 box behind where it would be. (The wall panel is 15 feet to the right of the grill's spot.)

My drawback with the BGE - I don't think I want to dealing with lighting charcoal every night just to cook 2 pieces of meat.

That's the beauty of the gas grill - fire it up when Candis starts making the salads, and slap the meat on when the salads are done.

Maybe I should just stick with a gas grill. (I'll never have more than one grill).

Thanks for all the feedback.

I just saw this. I take it you already know how to cook bison, but just in case you don't the Trager isn't going to work very well. Sear those steaks over really high heat coals (like 500-600 degrees) for about 1.5 minutes each side then drop them to low heat and slow roast them till medium rare. There is no better meat on the planet. Sounds like that's right up the BGE's alley and with a bit of experimentation it would be fabulous.

I grill a mean bison ribeye - they are awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

What is the difference between Bison and Beef ?

Before any of you start I know buffalo and cows

Bison is a lot leaner and generally has a lower caloric content but higher protein and iron. The ribeyes are fantastic because the higher fat content, which you don't get in other bison products, contributes to an unbelievable, almost buttery flavor. Ground bison burgers have a similar creaminess to the taste. I'm pretty much a filet mignon person when it comes to beef because I don't care for the chewiness that fat provides, despite the fact the the 'flavor comes from fat.' Bison ribeyes are as good, if not better when BE grills them, than filet mignon. Also, bison almost never come from feedlots like cows often do so they are messed with a lot less than cows, in terms of antibiotics, hormones, etc.