Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't quite get why some people get all ga-ga eyed

I didn't not know quite where to put this OP, here in the non-Dillon section or in the Dillon section.

I am definitely a drinker of the Dillon blue Kool-aid.

From another forum I frequent, the Hornady Lock and Load users/buyers always bring up those 1,000 free bullets :rolleyes: as some sort of selling point for the L-n-L.

I don't get it.

:wacko:

Edited to add this: this is NOT meant to be a troll post. I could see how some people could construe it as such. Maybe some of you good folks out there could show me the math and maybe demonstrate how getting $80 to $150 worth of "free" bullets really makes the difference for you vs. buying a Dillon.

Edited by Chills1994

Free bullets were just a bonus. :cheers: If you like Blue, nothing wrong with that. I thought the Red press was far superior to the Blue one so that's what I bought. Had I thought the Blue was better I would have bought that one and not worried about the free bullets. For me, the bullets didn't have anything to do with what press I bought. The design of the press did.

And if you're not trolling... I'm not either.

:cheers:

Free bullets were just a bonus. :cheers: If you like Blue, nothing wrong with that. I thought the Red press was far superior to the Blue one so that's what I bought. Had I thought the Blue was better I would have bought that one and not worried about the free bullets. For me, the bullets didn't have anything to do with what press I bought. The design of the press did.
I agree. I tried a Dillon 550 first, it was fine but the LNL AP was better. Lateral move b/t 650 and LNL AP. I don't define myself as any kind of Kool Aid drinker.

^^^ Oh come on... I am asking a legitimate question here. I have both a 650 and a 550. With the 650, I could zip through those 1,000 free bullets in about an hour, definitely in an hour and a half.

So, then what?

I would NOT go back and buy more Hornady bullets. I would go with the cheapest I could find that worked and proved to be somewhat accurate.

^^^ Oh come on... I am asking a legitimate question here. I have both a 650 and a 550. With the 650, I could zip through those 1,000 free bullets in about an hour, definitely in an hour and a half.

So, then what?

I would NOT go back and buy more Hornady bullets. I would go with the cheapest I could find that worked and proved to be somewhat accurate.

You just answered your own question. After I spent an hour thirty, an hour forty five on those I cracked open a case of Montana Gold's (not more Hornady's) and kept loading. That's the point behind a progressive press. Lots of quality ammo in a fairly short amount of time, no matter the color of the press that the ammo comes out of.

You enjoy your Dillon, I'll enjoy my Hornady and we'll both have plenty of high quality ammo custom loaded to our unique requirements. :cheers:

...as long as there are primers to keep feeding it. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I suppose I will have to do the math myself and poke and prod around on Hornady's site to see if it their L-n-L is all that and a bag of chips, for the price.

As far as the other responses here...well... it just makes me look at how high...err... low their post count is.

That's all. It makes it easier for me to figure out how big a grain of salt I need to take their comments with.

:P

Yeah, I suppose I will have to do the math myself and poke and prod around on Hornady's site to see if it their L-n-L is all that and a bag of chips, for the price.

As far as the other responses here...well... it just makes me look at how high...err... low their post count is.

That's all. It makes it easier for me to figure out how big a grain of salt I need to take their comments with.

Ahh...We have you figured out now, huh? Come on to a forum and insult folks while hiding behind anonymous posts. Man up in the future and post under your real name and maybe I'll take YOU seriously. Character and integrity have nothing to do with post counts.

At ben b. .... you need to learn how to use the smiley's then. sarcasm or smart alleckeyness is difficult to interpret over the internet.

at larry crazes... you need to learn to interpret the smiley's. like this one:

which you missed in my post above. please tell me you aren't serious.

Edited by Chills1994

I bought my Hornady LnL with the ez-ject system last year.

It cost me $337.00

I got 1000 240 grain .44 cal XTP bullets for free. I was able to sell those bullets for $20.00 a box for a grand total of $200.00

So....

$337.00 - $200.00 = $137.00. The price of some singe stages.

The press has been absolutley fantastic and the best $137.00 I ever spent.

^^^ Cool! See that's just the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

I haven't looked at Hornady's website yet, but I am guessing that the LnL is an autoindexing progressive press... so comparing it to the 550 is kinda apples to oranges, but then again if it doesn't come with a casefeeder comparing it to a casefeeder equipped 650 is more like oranges to tangerines.

Right?

thinking out loud moment on.... I wonder if anyone has ever tried to retrofit a 550 into an autoindexing press??

Edited by Chills1994

Like any other sales promotion, it will appeal to some buyers more than others. It is definitely worth factoring into the equation as it does effect the final price, but if price is the primary issue then I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make to most people here because I'm pretty sure that for most people reading this, prices is not the primary concern.

I started with a Lee Pro (in part due to price and it part due to lack of experience) and I must say that for a first progressive press it was a good choice for me and if it had been a 4 station press I might still be using it. But I out grew a 3 station and I debated between the LnL and the Loadmaster and I believe I let price be too great a factor in my decision. In the end, I bought the Loadmaster and found that it just did not suit me. Let me repeat that, it wasn't that there was anything particularly wrong with the Loadmaster, it just did not suit ME.

I now have a 550 and am much more comfortable with the way it works. Since it does not auto index and has no case feeder, the amount of ammo I can produce in an hour may be lower with the 550 than with another press, but I have more control over it, which suits ME. I don't know about the LnL, I haven't tried one. Perhaps if I had, I would never have gone blue - how can I evaluate something I've never tried.

One of the tough things about all this is that how a press works for one person may be different for another. I've heard a lot of horror stories about problems with the Lee progressives, but they didn't really effect me that much. I've heard others extol the virtues of the 650 over the 550, but that has no appeal to me - I like manual indexing and don't really need an auto case feed, it works well for ME.

As always, your mileage may vary.

The LNL is a great press. I think it's on par with the 650. With the free bullets- the potential REAL cost of the LNL is about $200. I'm almost thinking about getting another! Hornady's service is awesome as well.

Honestly- I'd think all you Blue guys would welcome the competition. It's better for us in the long run.

PS- finding someone that has the LNL is a challenge these days- that must say something.

At ben b. .... you need to learn how to use the smiley's then. sarcasm or smart alleckeyness is difficult to interpret over the internet.

at larry crazes... you need to learn to interpret the smiley's. like this one:

which you missed in my post above. please tell me you aren't serious.

Done.

Edited by larry cazes

I bought a red one. I like it because it matches my new pumps.

Blue pumps? :sick:

Chris :roflol::roflol::roflol:

ETA: I just realized my avatar is a guy in all blue. Yep, I'm a dork. Red pumps just wouldn't go with that outfit. :cheers:

Edited by Resjudicata