Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie - Brass Cleaning

Hey All!! First post here. I know this is a blue forum and I hope my red reloader will not sway your responses!! In any case, I am new to reloading and have run my first batch of 400 9mm casings through my vibratory cleaner. I used the Lyman corncob and their turbo brite. My question is how do I get my brass looking new without wiping down each piece (which I did)? Please forward suggestions on getting that new car finish without having to touch each casing by hand.

I'm not familiar with the Lyman corncob media so I don't know the size (diameter) of it. Generally the smaller the media the cleaner the brass. I use corncob media from Sportsmans Warehouse ($19.95/20# bucket) and Nu Finish car finish cleaner (WalMart) with bright shiny results after an hour in my tumbler.

CYa,

Pat

FWIW, shiny brass does not shoot any better than dull. But if it's shiny you want, try adding some polish to the media. There is stuff specifically made for shooting, but if you search the forum you will find a number of other suggestions.

If dusty residue is the problem try putting a dryer sheet in with the brass. It'll help pickup the dust.

Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Most likely what you have is residue left on the cases from the Turbo Brite. It kind of looks like the haze left on your car when you wax it yes? If so, the best way I've found to get it off is to run the brass through the tumbler again in fresh, clean corn cob with some 90% or stronger isopropyl alcohol. Wipe the tumbler out with a rag with some of the alcohol on it first. Add the media, pour in a couple tablespoons of alcohol and run the tumbler for a few minutes to disperse the alcohol. Then add your brass and tumble for 10 to 15 minutes or so and check it. If it was good and cleaned/polished that should make it look almost brand new.

Recently I tried some "Prep-all" from the car paint section of wally world (next to the acetone) I poured some on finished rounds, and dusty dull brass, and some oily resized rifle brass.

All at different times I might add...

"tumbled" them in a beach towel by hand for a min or two, and was very impressed with the result.