Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011s

Chris Rhines

June of last year, I switched back to Limited from Production. Now, eight months and several thousand dollars later, I have one gun that doesn't work, and one pile of parts all over the bench. I've ruined four or five barrels trying to learn to fit the damn things, trashed a grip frame, broken parts, and generally wasted a huge amount of time.

The frustrating thing is that I'm normally very good with my hands. But working on 1911/2011-pattern guns just doesn't seem to click, and I don't know why.

I wish I still had my Glock 35.

- Chris

I have a few race guns myself. While they all run, I have really enjoyed shooting my XD9. I am going to shoot it in the rain tomorrow and it does not bother me a bit.

As far as trashing the parts, do you think it is your skills or is it possible you are just rushing the process? Take it slow and walk away if you get in a hurry or frustrated.

I would go on easy fitting first like installing a grip, balancing a trigger job, installing a safety, stripping grips, installing magwells. deburring parts to smooth all action parts, polishing parts with dremel work. Most important, if you dont have the tools, do not install parts like front sights or rear sights.NEVER rush and always be patient. I always treat all parts like GLASS!! so when its installed, they are perfect and no scratches. When I ruin a part, IM GETTING EXPIRIENCE and I also learn

to weld it up so I can reinstall again. Otherwise, get a gunsmith to do all work and save the money.

Hell, Chris...It's not that hard. Here's the way I did it.

Quit my job, sold my land and home. Moved several hundred miles to where the best gunsmith in America lives. Started hanging around his shop until he started letting me help (sweeping and phone answering) and tiny bit by little steps I learned how to build a 2011 - with him looking over my shoulder and coaching me. Only 2.5 years of unpaid apprenticeship is all it took me. I still am not a "real" gun builder but I have now done several that pass the muster with my mentor......

Not so hard - Nothing to it?

You think the "major names" don't have that bucket full of ruined shit in the corner of their shop?

Perhaps you have unreasonable expectations as to what a normal learning curve really is? :)

Learning gunsmithing on a 2011 platform is going to be about as expensive as it gets and ALL of us that have built 1911 types have spent a ton of money to get where we are now. You either have to accept that or pay for the work you need to be done. $1000 is a small fraction of what it will end up costing you to get really good at this.

Chris:

It took Edison a bazillion times to get the light bulb to work and many broken things along the way. Don't give up you will get there brother. Anyways until then you are more than welcome to shoot my gear. Or you should shoot that sweet CZ of your dad's. BTW people Chris's dad's CZ has the best trigger of all time.

Love ya brother.

I agree with the "starting with something cheaper to learn on" approach. I know that I am butchering the quote, but to further what pinman44 referred to about Edison. I vaguely remember hearing that someone once asked Edison why he kept trying to invent the light bulb after 292 failed attempts. He stated, "No, I learned 292 ways how to not make a light bulb." I know that I have butchered the number, quote, etc.; however, you get the point...

My .02,

redintex

Great stories about Edison, but this one may be even better. Edison had a pile of bulbs that wouldn't work in the corner of his shop until he "learned" from someone who already knew how to build a light bulb (Joseph Swan) and then had a successful career making/selling said light bulbs.

Learning on your own is far more frustrating and unproductive than learning from someone who knows what they are doing. :rolleyes:

I got this from a customer who tried to do their own fitting recently. I hope this makes you feel better about your attempts.

Another perfect example of why it's not a good idea to drink and dremel. :roflol:

Learning gunsmithing on a 2011 platform is going to be about as expensive as it gets and ALL of us that have built 1911 types have spent a ton of money to get where we are now. You either have to accept that or pay for the work you need to be done. $1000 is a small fraction of what it will end up costing you to get really good at this.

Howard is right. It takes a lot of time and money. And you will screw things up along the way so don't be so hard on yourself.