Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 reloading issue

Rchjr

Hello all,

I have been reloading for quite sometime and have never had this issue before. I bought some spanish .308 reloadable ammo awhile back. I reloaded it and when I shoot it from my m14 the first couple of shots will fire but not eject. I also have some brand new r & p brass and as soon as I use that it shoots and ejects just fine. The spanish brass I have cleaned out the primer pockets with the rcbs case prep machine. Check case length and trim as needed. This has happened on two seperate occassions now and I cant figure out what the problem might be. I dont think it is the rifle because it works flawlessly with the r & p brass.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Rchjr

Anyone know if this brass is uber soft and drags on the chamber walls during the reloading cycle?

Note: When I extract HOT rounds out of my bolt rifle, the brass is NOT hot.

Rich

uscbigdawg,

Thanks for the response, when I reload ( resize and deprime ) it feels like any other cartridge I might be reloading. I can tell no difference in the way it feels when reloaidng. When I ejected the cartridge and picked it up to see if looked different in any way it was a little warm to the touch, felt like most of them I pick up after firing.

Thanks again for the response,

Rchjr

Not what I meant. On brass that's uber soft when the round fires and expands to the chamber wall, on semi-auto's it can cause jams if it doesn't contract fast enough. I've seen Open pistols have problems with regular Starline brass in 38 Super (mine doesn't so go figure).

Just a thought.

Rich

Not what I meant. On brass that's uber soft when the round fires and expands to the chamber wall, on semi-auto's it can cause jams if it doesn't contract fast enough. I've seen Open pistols have problems with regular Starline brass in 38 Super (mine doesn't so go figure).

Just a thought.

Rich

Ah..........I see, I wish I had the head stamp markings with me I would post it. What is strange about this is that it is always the first two rounds that do it.Then the rest shoot fine.Then I use the r & p brass and have no problems.

Thanks again,

Rchjr

So the spanish stuff is fine after the first 2 rounds?

Yes, ejects like it is supposed to. This is the strangest thing that I have seen since reloading for the last 10 yrs. I started by reloading with a certian weight that I wanted to chronograph. I used the spanish brass and also made up some new brass as well ( 10 of each ). Set the chrono up first two shots would not eject, but the following 8 did. Changed clips, used the new brass and all 10 ejected like they were supposed to.

Reloaded another group of 20 up 10 spanish brass and 10 r & P. Got the chrono set up, first two of the spanish would not eject as before a week ago, then the following 8 worked fine. Changed clips, all 10 of the r & p brass worked just fine.

Went home scratching my head wondering what would casue that. At least I got the chrono results I was looking for!

Rchjr

Changed magazines?

Anyways, I'm guessing that you cleaned the rifle before each range session. Maybe your gas system needs to be fouled a smidge before working happy.

Rich

No I did not clean the rifle, but I did change magazines. That might be what the issue here is. I did use the same magazines ( I have 4 ) for each group of ammo each time. I will do an experiment and see if that might be the culprit.

Thanks,

Rchjr

• 2 weeks later...