Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mac's Solid State Drive?

benos

I was shopping in Apple's refurb store for a new 13" Macbook, for travel/work, and saw the have a solid state drive in a refurb Macbook:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0FV0LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

I don't really want the Macbook Air, as I'd like like it to be like the rest of my macs, port-wise. I won't do a lot of real work with it, so it doesn't have to be any sort of power monster. Email (Entourage), Excel, and maybe some website work in GoLive, now and then. Mostly I want it to be light and portable, but still be able to do everything with than I can do with my G5 tower, or 15" Powerbook.

Does anyone have an experience with a mac with a solid state drive?

Thanks,

be

With SSD's you need to know "who" as in who made it and "what" as in what technology. By NO means are all SSD's equal. SLC, MLC, yadda, yadda, yadda. If you want a good read on SSD's check THIS out.

Edit to add: 128GB solid-state drive is no where near enough information about a SSD to know if it's worth it's weight in gold or gunk.

Edited by SLM

SSD's are definitely the wave of the future and the not too distant future. There's just some quirks that need ironed out before they are really main stream ready IMO. Capacities are coming up, prices are coming down (for both SLC and MLC) and speeds are coming around (as Intel proved) for the MLC drives. I just think there are too many unknowns right now to take a chance. SATA 6 GB/S in also coming shortly so SATA is also getting a refresh. That will make more of an impact as SSD's mature and in year or less (I hope and think) should make for screaming fast data access. It won't make much difference, if any, with physical drives due to the limitations of mechanical parts but... 6GB SATA with a SLC or properly done MLC SSD should equate to sub 5 second boots with Windows 7 (after the BIOS is done doing its thing of course). I'd think a Mac would be right in there time wise too!

:surprise:

EDIT: My 1,000th post, YAY!! :cheers:

Edited by SLM

SSD's are definitely the wave of the future and the not too distant future. There's just some quirks that need ironed out before they are really main stream ready IMO. Capacities are coming up, prices are coming down (for both SLC and MLC) and speeds are coming around (as Intel proved) for the MLC drives. I just think there are too many unknowns right now to take a chance. SATA 6 GB/S in also coming shortly so SATA is also getting a refresh. That will make more of an impact as SSD's mature and in year or less (I hope and think) should make for screaming fast data access. It won't make much difference, if any, with physical drives due to the limitations of mechanical parts but... 6GB SATA with a SLC or properly done MLC SSD should equate to sub 5 second boots with Windows 7 (after the BIOS is done doing its thing of course). I'd think a Mac would be right in there time wise too!

:surprise:

EDIT: My 1,000th post, YAY!! :cheers:

I got that vibe from reading the article you linked.

Thanks again,

be