Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable Comb

Tangram

For the last week or two I have been having fun with duct tape and foam. I built up the comb and the results have been gratifying. So...

I am thinking of adding an adjustable comb. There are a myriad of choices. Any recommendations on brand? I'd probable send the stock to Dale Tate for the work. Any other recommendations for stock work in the Pacific Northwest?

Kolar in Racine WI does the best stock work I have ever seen, and shipping just the stock (if you are comfortable removing and reinstalling it) isn't a problem. Kolar routinely works on $50,000+ guns, and $1000 guns get the same attention to detail. They are the best I know of and I don't shop around with important gun work.

Make sure you keep the proper tools in your shooting bag to adjust or tighten the comb. I was always amazed how the adjustable comb knows when it is the fartherst station away from tools when it decides to come loose. Typically occurs at a state champiomship, etc.

I know from my partners experience - I locked my adjustable comb and never move it.

Keep a supply of washers that fit your comb posts with you, always use washers under your comb to support it, the set screw itself will never keep it in place and it's tough to shoot with a comb that adjusts itself along the way.

Keep a supply of washers that fit your comb posts with you, always use washers under your comb to support it, the set screw itself will never keep it in place and it's tough to shoot with a comb that adjusts itself along the way.

The washer idea is one that makes sense to me. I have also considered chucking up and appropriate sized tube and cut it to length after my correct setting is figured out. (Just a fancy washer, but it would be fun to make. If I could not find the correct tube inside diameter, it is not big deal to bore a sliding fit ring and cut the length to fit.

The washer idea is one that makes sense to me. I have also considered chucking up and appropriate sized tube and cut it to length after my correct setting is figured out. (Just a fancy washer, but it would be fun to make. If I could not find the correct tube inside diameter, it is not big deal to bore a sliding fit ring and cut the length to fit.

Plastic water line works just fine and is cheaper than the washers and weighs almost nothing so gun balance is unchanged. So what it is a tad larger than the posts.

• 3 months later...

Update of sorts

A month ago I found a nicely figured adjustable comb stock for my Beretta 682. The comb was added by Hollingsworth using his hardware. The stock easily installed on my gun.

Now I am trying to get it set up properly. I found the following article by David Holmes with some ideas about proper fit.

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archiv...llel%20Comb.pdf

Additional comb fitting feedback, your experience, books, or articles is appreciated. Any additional stock fitters in the NorthWest? (I've got it roughly dialed in but trying to fit the comb is a task better done with two sets of eyes. One set more experienced than mine.)

You can do some "basic" fitting by yourself with the gun in front of a mirror.

Unloaded gun, of course, stand in front of the mirror..far enough away so the barrels don't "whack" the mirror :rolleyes: .

Make sure the comb is high enough so your eye is above the rib. How high is a matter of what you like and what sports you shoot. But, the rib should never "block" any part of the eye.

Make sure the eye/face is centered over the rib, not looking down one side of the barrel for example.

If you "premount", then do that. If you start with a lowered position, you'll need to bring the gun up and mount...then adjust. If you use a shooting vest, I'd wear it while doing this.

Good article on the parallel comb. I don't shoot with parallel combs, but many people do, so I don't have a real opinion to be honest. For two shot sports, it makes "sense" to have some drop so the stock stays in your face better. But, I've seen too many good shooters shoot with varying "styles" and "stocks" to proclaim any "absolutes".

Of course, if you have someone whose knowledable, that can help...much better.

Edited by Irishlad

If you are serious about having the best adjustable comb.... and assuming this is so the gun fits you properly, then there simply is NO SUBSTITUTE for the work dome by Todd Nelson! Renee Tyson and I road tripped to Todd's shop and spent the day with him while he did a full workup on our twin 34" Guerini Magnus Sporting guns. BEST money I have ever spent in the shotgunning sports.... period. His hardware AND craftsmanship is second to none, and IN ADDITION to the top notch gunfitting service, Todd also gave us top notch form coaching... Cannot tell you how much the coaching has helped... Learnign about the shot "from the muzzle back to the ground" was a whole new experience...

Todd will do the work on your gun at any of the events he goes to each year (if you are quick and get on his schedule... it fills up quick), but I HIGHLY recommend making the trip to NW Alabama and getting the work done there. There's nothing like having his undivided attention for the entire process, with zero interruptions. It was a great trip, great results, that part of the country is absolutely beautiful, the people are great, AND we got to go visit the Coon Dog Cemetery!

• 2 weeks later...