Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crazy Bird

KGentry

Seen that before at my house. I had a car and the cardinal would set on the widow sill of the front door and see his reflection in the side mirror and then start challenging and fight the reflection. He pecked the hell out of that mirror. After mating season he quit until the next year. Evidently they are very territorial during mating season.

What's the position of the sun at the time this is happening? It's most likely due to the bird seeing the reflection of the trees in the glass on the door and thinking there's trees there also. We had a couple hit our sliding glass door the other day. The trees are 75+ feet behind the door but the reflection makes gives the illusion of trees for a couple days this time of year. Fortunately not long. If the bird doesn't break it's neck (yes, they will hit windows hard enough to kill themselves... trust me) it will most likely quit in a week or so when the Earth has rotated/revolved enough to change the angle of the sun on the glass. If you want to do the bird a favor put some waxed paper on the outside of the window so there's no reflection and I'd pretty well bet he'll quit doing that.

My Mom has one that shows up every day at the same window, with seeds and sticks in his mouth... He's attempting to be a good mate I guess and win the affections of the bird in the mirror. He doesn't attact, just struts and flys up against the glass... for hours.

I'm guessing not all birds of a feather, have the same IQ....

I know people like that...

JW

We have a cardinal that destroys our car mirrors every year. 3 in 3 years.... we've put platic bags over them, but he sits and craps all over the door and pecks through the plastic until he hits glass then gets medieval on it. If I was 100% sure I wouldn't miss, I'd end the little fellow's {and our} misery.