Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Official Area 4 match annoucement - 2009

I can say a couple things about Friday...

1) The shooting was fun

2) the mud was horrendous, and I think I came close to falling either splayed forward or flat on my back 4 or 5 times

3) I won't be coming in anywhere near the top of my class. Probably dead last. That's what slogging though sucky mud at 1/4 speed and having 3 FTEs will do to you..

4) I shot all stages, didn't DQ. I got plenty of warnings, but that is just good ROing. The temptation to leave after lunch and go get drunk was strong, but I didn't think I could get my car out of where I parked it in the slide lot.

5) A Nissan Maxima can be parked in a mud pond AND driven back out. It's all in momentum management.

I don't know if I could do this whole thing again, though.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw the animals lining up 2X2 on stage one first thing Friday!

I would love to have shot the match dry. The stages would have been so much faster. I think the weekend times will show that. Was still fun though. I should k ow better them to shoot at DTR on a Friday for a big match! :)

I had a lot of fun shooting this match, even with the mud. I kept reminding myself that it wasn't raining, and therefore it was going to be ok. Seriously, this was a great match. The ROs put a lot of work in to it, and although we competitors got to trudge around in the mud some on each stage, the ROs got to do it all day. Today must have been like heaven for them out there. It was a lot drier. We talked about bringing in a pumper truck overnight to drench the stages again, but couldn't get one scheduled quickly enough. :roflol:

Thanks to Lee, Ken and all the ROs, who put on a great match. The stages were well designed, technical and fun. It was a good match and I really enjoyed it. :cheers:

The conditions definitely slowed us all down on Friday, but I did all right anyway. I'm glad it is drying out and I hope that all of the Sat/Sun shooters have a great, safe match. I would like to shoot this match dry, though. :lol:

I met a lot of great people and got to shoot a great match. It was a good weekend.

Pics from the match Friday.

Picture002.jpg

Mud Bowl Deja Vu.

Picture003.jpg

Difficult Conditions.

Picture001.jpg

Squad 2 waiting to shoot stage 3.

Picture.jpg

Billy (different Billy than Richmond Billy) is standing in a metal shooting box. Can you see it?

Thanks for all the laughs to the shooters in Squad 2. Really rough day. I would do it again.

PS. I'm going to build that step on thing that lowered the window on stage 11. It was awesome!!!! I might even bring it to the range one day and put it in a stage :)

Well, about the only thing we couldn't control bit us in the a$$. Not much we could have done about the weather though....

Anyway, we still had 237 shooters shoot the match just about doubling lat year. We had to toss Stage 1 which was under water Friday morning but the other 11 stages were workable and the match was still > 300 rounds! Saturday and Sunday shooting was pretty good, just a bit chilly.

Thanks to all the shooters, we heard ZERO complaints except for that rain thing which I didn't order. A BIG thanks to ALL the staff and RO's, I think we did real good given the circumstances.

Final scores were posted electronically at 12:40 PM, and on paper at 1:00 PM. Awards were done shortly there after with only a slight delay as our Open Division Winner had to run an errand....(no, not kidding...). Anyway, we got it done and had help from the shooter to police the range. Thanks again!

We had a BIG monitor displaying rolling results using the USPSA results server and had 2 laptops for which shooters could verify there own results. We got alot of compliments on making this service available and hope to see other big matches use it in the future. Look for a Front Sight article soon.

Lastly, we will have an anonymous comments page and an email form setup to send a note to ALL the sponsors within the next week or so....Please support those sponsors who helped make this match happen, no one got a prize worth less then $50 and many, many got stuff worth up to $500! This match would not have happened without their support. Please let us know what we did good and provide constructive critisim if you feel we need it.

Lee Neel

2009 Area 4 Championship website

I ask myself why I RO matches in Wichita Falls, what with the weather and all. Then I look around and see so many friends that I've made simply by doing so. It's a no-brainer for me. There are not many communities like the shooting community.

You kids toughed it out again, and I respect that.

This match was a good test of shooting, and I learned a lot. I had the advantage of being a first-hand witness to every single shooter on the range. I was really impressed by the quality of the shooting, down to the last shooter. I'm not sure that I've ever attended or RO'd a match that ran as smoothly as this one, weather notwithstanding. My sincere thanks and appreciation to Ken, Lee, and the entire staff. Thanks to Arthur Brown for his Range Master tutelage - that man knows the rule book. Thanks to Robert Porter for the Double Tap Ranch, and the crew that set up the stages over the last several weeks.

The scoring system was awesome, and results were posted and awards handed out in record time. The results were posted online before I even got home to Dallas.

Area 4 is on the move, and I'm looking forward to bigger and better things to come.

Thanks to all.

jr

This was my first match over a level one and despite a less than stellar performance I had an awesome time. W'ere sitting in outback in shreveport right now. About to finish the second half of our drive to baton rouge. I have some pics of the range and squad 23 I'll post up tomorrow.

A big thanks to the staff, the ROs and to my squad. My friend and I are fairly new shooters and I only knew one guy on my squad from another site prior to the match but everyone on my squad was amazingly friendly and helpful to us new shooters. That is truly a testament to the nature of the sport.

See you guys at gator classic and hopefully at double tap. I'm packing heavy cold gear for that. ;)

-Jeremy

It was a great match. Very well run. Thanks to all the people that made it happen.

The stages were all awesome. I just wish I would have been able to shoot them in better conditions, but it's always a roll of the dice with the weather.

It definitely effected my stage planning, wherever there was dry-ish ground was the way to go :roflol:

It was a great match. Very well run. Thanks to all the people that made it happen.

The stages were all awesome. I just wish I would have been able to shoot them in better conditions, but it's always a roll of the dice with the weather.

It definitely effected my stage planning, wherever there was dry-ish ground was the way to go :roflol:

Dry-ish or soft???? ;):wacko:

Good job, Jordan. Even with the inclement weather & conditions, you guys did great!

MLM

A big thanks to all those who planned, setup, RO'd and attended the match. Everything the match staff could control went smoooooth!! GREAT JOB FOLKS. Fun stages & Great people to shoot with. Area 4 is back in a big way....

Interesting story from the chrono stage;

My CZ Shadow didnt fit in the box (!)

The RO tried and tried, then asked me if I wanted to try it.

I'm thinking, "its a stock mag, if Matt Minks gun fit, mine has to also right?"

At Phil Strader's suggestion, I flipped the gun over, and it slipped right in with room to spare.

The box, the nice shiney fancy machined metal box, is not 'in true'.

My gun also weighed quite a bit a bit differently than it did at nationals (no changes, same configuration)

I'm sure other have some epic chrono stories from A4.