Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Parts

cybrosh

Hi everyone,

A friend has a Para P-14.

I need to know what aftermarket parts are available for PARA(Ed brown/McCormick/Dawson/EGW, etc') :

Beavertail/Grip safety(High ride)

One piece 5" Guide Rod(Bushing)

Flat Mainspring housing

Preferably, drop in parts, once more for PARA.

Thanks!

Sharon,

Thanks for the reply.

Up until know, he was quite lucky. A Wilson's grip safety was surprisingly drop in, but he didn't like it. Thought he should have had it fitted.

I guess we'll have to use a jig for a new series 80 beavertail, but do you know anything that would be close to drop in so he wouldn't have to tinker with it too much?

the only 1911 parts that will not fit are: magazine catch, magazines, triggers, mag funnels, and power extractor. As far as I know, all other 1911 parts will fit. Do not count on any parts dropping in and working.

Add to that list the sear spring. The frame slot is a tad lower than the standard 1911 and may be too low.

Later,

Chuck

You can customize your Para for competition sustantially. Its geometry is the same as the 1911 except for three things, the trigger bow, the mag catch and the magwell. Apart from that anything thats fits a 1911 will work in a Para.

Theres a host of manufacturers out there and its one of personal choice and budget.

Like any other off the shelf "budget" 1911, the first thing that anyone in the the shooting sports will recommend will be to rip out all the tigger/hammer parts and replace them with higher quality parts.

If you are willing to remove the firing pin safety (commonly known as series 80) so you can fit any standard 1911 hammer and sear components. The mag catch and trigger bow is specific to para, so make sure you order accordingly for compatibility.

You can convert your P-14 by simply replacing the series 80 parts with a spacing plate thats available from Dawson and buying a new sear and hammer. Most competitors that have very high grips deactivate their grip saftey too (it's a personal choice) so that it doesnt interfere with the quality of the trigger pull. NOTE that deactivating factory fitted safety's is not legal in IDPA competition nor recommended if you are going to carry your P14 and should only done when you are willing to accept any potential liablity for the modifications.

Deactiviating the grip safety can be accomplished by simply removing some material with a file on the existing beaver tail so that it no longer interferes with the trigger bar. Other simply file the back of the trigger bar so that it clears the grip safety!

If you have a standard P14 and want to shoot it in competition I'd recommend that you change out the barrel bushing for a higher quality one. I used to like to use national match bushings (if they still make them!) but EGW or Wilson are one of the many alternatives.

Para make a great gun but like everything else cost has to be kept reasonable so the parts are not the best you can buy. The original bushing is cast and mine used to fail every 8-1200 rounds. You will also be able to fit any 1911 single or two piece guide rod, although there's nothing wrong with the Para original unless you just want a heavier rod in say tungsten.

Unless Para has changed its cuts their "bomar" style rear site is known as the para cut rather than the standard bomar cut. Bomar used to make a rear sight to fit but getting hold of Bomars isnt easy these days. Dawason have specialized in Paras for years and are a great source.

If you have an older P14 ist a "standard" 1911 extractor design. If you decide to remove the firing pin safety as discussed above I'd recommend an Aftec extractor, but if you have the Para Claw stick with the Para.

As for mag wells you have two main choices. The Smith and Alexander and Dawson. The S&A requires the frame to be cut so save yourself hassle and get the Dawson Para magwell.

I never found a need to change the Para beavertail. If its square shape doesnt feel good you can round it with a Dremel and save yourself the cost of fitting a new one.

The main spring housing is standard 1911 too.

As for mags Arredondo makes great followers for the Para which mornally adds and extra round to your capacity. I'm not sure if you would want the bigger mag capacity but you have a number of base pad +2s to choose form.

Lastly the word "drop in" is always partail to Murphys law. You may need a file stroke here and there.

Hope this helps

Pay attention to Chucks advice. Para cuts their sear spring anchor slot in the frame about .090" LOWER than other 1911 gun manufacturers. The sear and disconnector fingers of the spring ride lower on the sear and disconnector. Dropping in a sear spring not specifically made for a Para leads to all sorts of potential problems. The middle finger :surprise: will not be able to push the disconnector up enough to function correctly and possibly causing very bad ju-ju to happen(single shot or maybe full auto). BE AWARE!

CYa,

Pat

I agree with Pat entirely! 1911 sear springs are to short.

Always use a Para Sear Spring which are readily available at Brownells if you need to replace one in your P14.

They work very well anyway when well adjusted and theres no need to change them out

Everyone,

Thanks for the great input! this is for a friend, I myself use 2011 clones(SPS), so no Para for me. It's an old P14, which shoots great, and he uses it for self defense(this guy used to walk around with Ruger Super Redhawk, and a Desert Eagle 44')so the weight isn't an issue :P

It was almost impossible to get a Para around here. Only in recent months - we finally have a distributor, and the new models are nice! especially the Limited/Signature series(though I don't like the LDA).

Anyways, I know fitting is required, and learned many times that 'drop in' isn't usually drop in. Spent a lot of time with my customized 2011's(with all the bells and whistles)and had to tune and fit many parts. Always knew Para was a different kid on the block, but didn't know exactly what can be fitted or not - so once more, thanks for the assistance!