Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft rifle training

sfpmb

After the last 3 gun I did, I really felt like I was less prepared than I could be. I don't dedicate alot of time at the range for SG or rifle. I don't feel like I had a problem with accuraccy because you see the post where you want it and shoot, for me that stays pretty universal, even when I am not shooting alot. What really crushes me is my movement and and rifle manipulation i.e. pick up rifle, setup on target and !#@$%!# I forgot to disengage the safety. The three seconds are agony as I process my mistake and I feel horribly stupid.

video of last match

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=50459044

I could break down alot of this video but I have a point I am trying to make. I looked up on this forum and nobody seems to be doing Airsoft for rifle. In other forum many shooter swear by it for the pistol. I have been doing airsoft pistol training and believe it has helped me in USPSA matches. What I did not know, is that they make some pretty good airsoft rifles. I bought an AR style airsoft that is all metal and weighs the same as my real AR. I just got it a few weeks ago and I think it is helpful. Is anyone else doing this?

video of airsoft rifle in garage.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=53596118

I think airsoft worked well for me with pistols because it is so close. Airsoft is worthless past 75 feet. You need to be rifle ready at 400 yards. And the trigger on an airsoft rifle is gross and there is no reset. Reliability is always sub-par and rifles are WAY worse. That's just my XP with it. Pistols own though.

Yeah they work great for shooting your allies, when you are in their shop, drinking their warm beer at 8am......

There were no A10's available at the time.

But I still have a AR stock that has 'Delia' engraved on it ! :wub:

The greater good...

A lot of 3 gun shooter I shoot with have gotten 22LR uppers, cheap and fun, get the Black Dog Mags, same size as standard 30 rounders.

Just get your upper set up like your 3 gun rifle. For short range it is a great training tool.

Yeah they work great for shooting your allies, when you are in their shop, drinking their warm beer at 8am......

There were no A10's available at the time.

But I still have a AR stock that has 'Delia' engraved on it ! :wub:

The greater good...

You are just mad that we (I won't give up my co-conspirators) tried to shoot a pigeon with it. We tried to do it for the greater good ... the greater good ....

And I was only in the shop drinking your beer because you were trying to sell your home and were embarrassed about the Yanks, forcing us to take refuge in the garage.

Oh and Trail 3 is right, get a Nordic Components 10/22 chassis long before you go to an Airsoft.

Finally I have mysteriously found a FAL stock from the Falklands, I think, with Claire scratched on it by some Argentine infantryman. :cheers:

Thank you Kelly, I will look at the Nordic option. It is evident from my initial question and lack of response that airsoft is viewed very differently than the pistol focused shooter. I am having a blast shooting it though. I will say that this airsoft rifle is good within 1/2 inch at thiry feet, which has been fine in my garage. I never meant to imply this would be good for training long range shots, merely basic and quick handling.

Yo Phil, bring that air shooter next time you're at the range; I want to try it out. Good point about using it at home practicing for setting up in and out of awkward positions and breaking a shot. Good tip on the Nordic chassis, I picked up one from here and just looking for a good deal on a 10/22; they fly off the shelves when they're less than 2 bills. Also, I cannot always be at the range for some trigger time. I'll be ROing at Richmond this Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...

What Airsoft rifle are you using? I bought an electric gun that I thought would work good but the BB's were stored on top of the rifle in a fake red dot which makes it pretty much useless. For us people that don't have a practice range I think it would be useful.

What Airsoft rifle are you using? I bought an electric gun that I thought would work good but the BB's were stored on top of the rifle in a fake red dot which makes it pretty much useless. For us people that don't have a practice range I think it would be useful.

The one I bought weighs the same as my AR and is all metal. It is a "KWA KM4A1 Carbine". I will restate that I am getting some good out of it. Even though I don't do alot of multi guns, alot of time is lost just on my klunky cobwebbed handling. If this keeps me familiar with movemnt and I get to have more fun than dry fire, then I guess I win.

I once spent $1600 on a bolt action only FAL (semi auto illegal here - stupid me !) to practice transitions with prior to a US match, didnt even bother to shoot it, just bought it to get the mag changes and stuff together for the match......... did it help - yes without doubt...... was it $1600 worth of help - no friking way !!

I also have a airsoft AR but dont ever bother to practice with or even touch it nowadays re manipulation etc, I simply use my non semi auto AR for all that stuff.... as for shooting, well my Nordic works like a charm for up close stuff.

Long range stuff I leave to luck and the advice my amigos give me as I am called forward to load and make ready ! :roflol:

I once spent $1600 on a bolt action only FAL (semi auto illegal here - stupid me !) to practice transitions with prior to a US match, didnt even bother to shoot it, just bought it to get the mag changes and stuff together for the match......... did it help - yes without doubt...... was it $1600 worth of help - no friking way !!

I also have a airsoft AR but dont ever bother to practice with or even touch it nowadays re manipulation etc, I simply use my non semi auto AR for all that stuff.... as for shooting, well my Nordic works like a charm for up close stuff.

Long range stuff I leave to luck and the advice my amigos give me as I am called forward to load and make ready ! :roflol:

Well amigo, you did pretty darn well for not "even bother to practice" :cheers: It's scary to even think what would happen if you practice like us boys before the match :surprise:

My L1A1 is calling you...

Trust in luck? Boy are you gullable! Next time I say...check that ammo....maybe you will. BTW I found the last one in that batch last tuesday, lucky Coyote! Had to get a rod out and beat it out. The whole time I was cursing your name....for not checking that ammo :lol: Give a bell when you can, it,s been a while amigo! Kurt

Well, I will stand by my statement and I'm sure Mr Darby will as well since he was the one who got a .222 instead of a .223.

There is clearly a difference between friends ribbing on each other and serious mean spirited attacks. The former is quite common on brianenos, the latter not so often but it does come up occassionally.

And I think Kurt can take it.

jeeze counselor, that was just an example of some friendly ribbing... :rolleyes: and I have had quite a bit of trouble telling when KortM is ribbing me. (insert Homer emotocon going "doooh!")

I knew you were ribbing KortM, besides, it ain't libel if its true! :roflol:

(did I spell everything right???)

jj

Phil,

If you want, I'll bring my Nordic 10/22 to the Golden Bullet and you can check it out there. It's entirely too much fun to shoot.

Rich

I will be shooting Sat PM/Sun AM, see you there.

Yeah knowing him he would slip a couple of 7mm BBs into my 6mm bag of airsoft ammo :angry2:

You boys have been having waaayy to much fun over there without me.

My match is next weekend, 2 gun, multi gun match and with prize 6 guns on the table with 70 entries - not too shabby for little old England :cheers:

Edited by Duane Thomas

Anyone notice that my own personal ammo, that I load for myself and CHECK myself NEVER has any problems? But when your good friend loads ALL your match ammo FOR YOU and says...I would check that stuff if I were you, I've got a chamber guage right here, I just didn't have time to do it FOR YOU.... and you don't....well who,s fault is that????? And what do I get??? Not a thank you for taking all that time to load ALL my match ammo for the last 5 years. No I get the 7mm BB and Kelly becoming European. I do bet that the next time I say...HEY I WOULD CHECK THAT STUFF, HERE IS A CASE GAGE....Someone might set down their beer and take the 10 minutes to CHECK!!! KurtM

He was still too distraught from Whiskey bottle, he dropped on the floor, he couldn't have operated the case gauge.

The funniest thing was that we kept it out of his kit until the match, it simply wouldn't have been as funny during the pre Benning party.

Trapr