Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having a hammer break on your open gun

Intel6

So I am out shooting my open gun yesterday and I take a shot and something hits me in the face right on my right cheekbone. I had two small cuts and no blood so I started wondering what it was. I was shooting at paper against a sand backstop and there was no metal around for a riccochet. I look down at my gun and the whole front part of the hammer is missing.

I couldn"t get a good pic of it so I took a pic of the same type of hammer and outlined in red the part that broke off. It broke at the base of the hammer spur right above the piviot hole and right across the back of the thumb spur.

I have always like the larger M frame Oakleys because they cover more of my face around my eyes. In this case I had a decent mark ont he lenses right at the edge of them where the piece hit the lens and my cheek.

post-922-1236355820_thumb.jpg

This was a factory SV gun that the origianl owner bought back in 1998 but it has not had anywhere near 10 years of use on it.

I am curious to know if this is common or an anomolly?

This would have sucked if this had broken at a match. I have a club match this weekend, shooting a match in Yuma,AZ next weekend and the double tap at the end of the month.

Neal in AZ

Wow :surprise:

Never seen that ...but that hammer is lightened about as far as it could go.

I would expect it fail after a certain number of cycles due to fatigue.

Thinkin maybe I will replace mine ...its the same one :unsure:

Jim

PS glad it did not hurt you too bad :)

So I am out shooting my open gun yesterday and I take a shot and something hits me in the face right on my right cheekbone. I had two small cuts and no blood so I started wondering what it was. I was shooting at paper against a sand backstop and there was no metal around for a riccochet. I look down at my gun and the whole front part of the hammer is missing.

I couldn"t get a good pic of it so I took a pic of the same type of hammer and outlined in red the part that broke off. It broke at the base of the hammer spur right above the piviot hole and right across the back of the thumb spur.

I have always like the larger M frame Oakleys because they cover more of my face around my eyes. In this case I had a decent mark ont he lenses right at the edge of them where the piece hit the lens and my cheek.

This was a factory SV gun that the origianl owner bought back in 1998 but it has not had anywhere near 10 years of use on it.

This would have sucked if this had broken at a match. I have a club match this weekend, shooting a match in Yuma,AZ next weekend and the double tap at the end of the month.

Neal in AZ

Those SV hammers are held in high reguard by many gunsmiths due to their quality. I guess anything can happen over period of time. Makes one appreciate the need for shooting glasses.

Bill

Neal in AZ

So the big red part broke off? Why would you get it milled like that and painted red?

If only you knew a guy that might have a spare hammer sitting on his kitchen table.

Neal,

You are going to love this! This is what I found on my gun at the next to last stage at Area 2 last year:

post-400-1236395760_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's the Ft. Huachuca Triangle?

I didn't have any face shrapnel or at least nothing I remember.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I saw a broken hammer like that at Nationals or Area1 last year. A quick trip to the vendor tent and he finished the match. Made me start to think a spare hammer in the kit wasn't a bad idea.

I've seen other hammers break too. When you consider the abuse those things take it isn't all that surprising that they break.

Glad you escaped without serious injury! Yet another graphic example as to why protective eye wear is essential in our sport!