Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking My Girls Out Shooting

JimmyZip

Lindsay 9, and Sydney 6, went to the range today to learn how to shoot a rifle. Sydney was getting pretty good after some time, but Lindsay picked it right up. She was knocking down plates like a machine after a couple of mags. This was her first time to shoot a gun period. I was getting tickled.

I think I will shorten the lenght of pull and put a bipod on that sucker when I get paid. I might also build an adjustable cheek piece for it so that they can have a consistent cheek weld when they are shooting.

It is so cool that they are interested and always begging me to shoot. Now that they have, they were chatter boxes all afternoon and at dinner. I can tell the wife has mixed emotions about this. I on the other hand am happy that I belong to a club that has just recently started a .22 lr shoot once a month. It is scores just like an IPSC match and uses IPSC targets. Maybe after I get these tings set up, and they get a dot on them, we will let them compete. Right now though they are just as gassed about it as I am.

Good times! :)

I love these girls, they are the best.

Also, it was funny to draw the sight diagram in the dirt just like my father did for me when I was a kid. It is cool to pass this thing on to the next generation. I hope they continue to be interested and take part. Sure would be nice to keep them involved. I know that's just a dream, but a nice one I wil gently persue.

If you want to "gently pursue" the involvement of your daughters in shooting then add other traditions to the shooting day. Next day of shooting Lyndsay gets to pick the place for lunch before or after shooting. The next range day it's Sydney's choice, then it's your turn. Make a day of it. More quality time with the girls. :)

CYa,

Pat

Oh yes...the way REAL American women grow up :cheers:

My little girl is back home and shooting again :) ...but she is 25 now :surprise:

Gee...Im old. :mellow: ...get all the time you can with them!!!!! they grow up FAST!

Jim

Isn't that the truth. Of course now one of my daughters has given me a grandson, he is eight months old. I'm already looking for his first gun, probably go with a Chipmunk rifle. I had one for my girlls when they were little, loaned it to somebody with a little kid when my girls got too big for it. Wish I could remember who I loaned it to. oh well, went for a good cause.

I have been taking my 6 year old daughter lately. After we go she says" Thanks dad, for taking me shooting today" Like it was a bunch of work or something. What a great way to spend time with her. We always make a full day of it. She now has a pink Cricket single shot and for christmas she wanted " a gun like dad shoots" so she got the pink Sig Mosquito. She was having a hard time firing the Sig unless she used two fingers, so we will concentrate on the rifle for a while.

Your daughters will remember this time spent with you, and will learn proper gun handling to boot.

My little girl has shot off and on for a couple years now. This winter we started attending the Junior Smallbore league at my home Club. Careful, this can be very expensive. Bought her a rifle for her 12th birthday. Bought us a good spotting scope.

It is a great night out for the two of us.

Jim

I've got a Savage cub in the safe, waiting for one of my short people to shoot. We've shot airsoft and bb guns and learned about safety, but VERY soon the the real gun is getting a workout and I can't wait. I love being able to share my favorite activity with the kids.

Sounds like they had a great time, and that is what is important. It's great to see fathers taking girls to the range!!!!

Here's a picture of my 9 year old on her first trip to the range (Jan 09) with her 22 Crickett. :) Good times, and she wants to go back.

AW_AtTheRange_v1.jpg

I haven't started my 6 year old yet, but probably will in a year or two.

Ryan

Minor Hi-Jack of this thread, but I have to say, I am counting the days until my grand-son, who will be two next month is big enough to take to the range. I already have a .22 rifle and pistol set aside for him and am saving a S&W 25 for when he gets big enough. Hoping for good times ahead.