Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pittbug

Pittbug

How did your loads chrono out? It's intriguing to me that as we were talking yesterday, mine are making major at such a smaller OAL. How long did you say you are running yours with how many grains?

Brian

Hey Brian

3.5gr clays @ 1.255

I posted some of the chrono info here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1029162

But after that session it looks like the load using 4.2gr clays w/ 180gr moly is very consistent.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle shot them all, I think he was afraid this C class shooter would blast his sensors :) I asked him if he felt any difference and he said they were a bit sharper/snappier, but still very soft shooting.

Maybe next time we'll swap a few loads and see how they feel to each other. I'm interested in how the longer length runs in the glock... so far though, so good and as flex told PB, the 21sf shoots soft.

IDPA match at Pickaway went terribly today. I had a ton of mistakes and the reloads I was trying out were jamming all over the place. My gun was dirty, so that probably accounted for some of the problems. Despite the fact that I did horribly I had a lot of fun. Great bunch of people, as always. A bad day at the range is still better than a great day at work.

Edited by Pittbug

I was reviewing the match video and found quite a lot of small issues which I need to address. It's really great to be able to replay it over and over again and look at the details.

After that I did 50 mins of DF.

Most of the work was on reloads, especially working on not dropping the gun as much. I definitely see the benefit and the difference. By keeping the gun up higher I see more of the magwell and can get back on target quicker and more consistently. The reloads also seem to be a bit more consistent, which is perfect. I'm happy with the way that they feel - it's not at all foreign or awkward. I also moved my mags a bit further back to make sure that they're legal for the state match.

I have a classifier on the 22nd, so I was also working on strong/support hand only. I found that I seem to have more control over the gun if I don't fully extend my arm and cant the gun a little.

And if that wasn't enough, I was also concentrating on the front sight and trying to work on follow through - per Flex's advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot the IDPA classifier today, did horribly and got SS in ESP. When I went to score the targets after stage 3 I was amazed that I had some misses and a string of shots all down the right side of each target. That got me a lot of -3s and they add up really quickly. After most people had gone, I was going to run a buddy through it again and just to check on what was going on with my gun I took 2 shots at a target from 10 yards. Two holes about 8" right of center, huh? I looked at my sights and then noticed that the rear sight was way off to the right. The grub screw holding it in and gotten loose and I guess it kept drifting further and further over.

Anyway, I got it recentered, tightened down the grub screw, took a couple of sighters to make sure it was somewhere close and reshot the classifier. Just waiting on the match director to email me on how that turned out.

I remember seeing the target with all those shots on the right side and thinking "how the heck did *I* do that?" It was quite interesting to realize later on that it was actually an equipment issue. I didn't used to have a lot of confidence in my para, but as time went by and I did a couple of tweaks here and there, it's been running great. I guess since my first reaction was to blame myself, I must be feeling pretty good about it.

Well my second run was a lot better, especially after recentering my rear sight. I managed to miss a couple of headshots on stage 1 which cost me 5 seconds. I ended up missing Ex by 4.49s! Final scores were: (numbers in brackets are raw time and points down)

Stage 1: 37.11 (27.61 - 19pts)

Stage 2: 28.53 (22.53 - 12pts)

Stage 3: 47.42 (38.42 - 18pts)

Total: 113.06 (88.56 - 49pts)

I was hoping to make EX, but I guess I'll have to get there another time.

Yeah I dropped three headshots on stage 1 - that's a huge no no. In my defense, since our last dabble with the chrono I had upped the charge to 3.7gr getting ready for the state match and they were impacting low. All missed head shots were about 2 inches below the perf, so at least I was consistent I guess.

Most of the guys around here are really accommodating. If I needed to, I could set it up after a match, or in a spare bay and have someone run me through it.

Edited by Pittbug

• 4 weeks later...

I shot the OH State IDPA match at Ashland Lake today and won ESP SS. I shot so well I also ended up beating all of the EX guys. I got a plaque and courtesy bump to EX :D

OH State IDPA Match Results are posted online.

2009espss.jpg

Congrats to my fellow squads mates (many of whom are from the central OH area) that also got plaques and awards :cheers:

Edited by Pittbug

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been a while, so I guess I should do a quick update.

I missed the OH USPSA sectional a couple of weeks ago, because other stuff just got in the way. I've had so many car repairs lately, it's just crazy. Sunday I ended up replacing one of the metal brake lines on my jeep because it rotted through!

I shot an IDPA match this weekend at Pickaway and won ESP. I also had the lowest time overall out of 26 shooters. Out of four stages, three were my design, although slightly tweaked from their originals. I received some positive feedback on the designs, which is great to hear.

I spent a few minutes after the match playing with the plate rack in bay 1. I was doing draws (without concealment) to a plate consistently 1.3s. A few times I would do 1.2s with the fastest being a 1.10. I also managed to clear all plates in about 4.4s.

I seem to be having some problems with sight alignment vs hit placement. I don't know if it's due the load I'm using, my trigger control or what, but something's not quite right. Quite a few of my shots are impacting low, which is unusual. I need to figure that out because it's starting to cost me a lot of points. I probably could have saved about six or seven points during the match if those shots had impacted where I thought they should (in the down 0 zone). Obviously this makes taking headshots quite a bit more difficult because I never quite know where the hole is going to appear and my lack of confidence means that I'm committing one of the big sins - looking for the hole in the target instead of trusting my sights. I'm going to have to tinker around and try to figure out what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot the big darby creek IDPA match this weekend and won ESP and had the fastest time overall, I was quite pleased with that. I think I'm figuring out my trigger finger issue. I just need to do more dry fire and perhaps some accuracy based live fire to work out some of the kinks.

I need to locktight the grub screw on my rear sight, since it now has a tendency to work itself loose. Fortunately I caught it during cleaning a couple of nights before I hit the range.

I'm considering removing the novak night sights and changing them to an adjustable rear and a fiber optic front. I have a FO front on my XD and really like it. I find it difficult to track the front sight returning into the slot on close targets.

My supply of bullets is getting quite sparse now, so I think I might try the MG 185gr next. They will require a little more powder, which should reduce the wild variations in velocities I've seen.

One more official IDPA match for this season, time flies.

• 2 months later...

I haven't shot in a while but got out today for an IDPA match at Big Darby Creek. It was 20 degrees when I left the house and a little windy but no snow.

On the first stage, we had positioned the barrels where there was no ice on the ground for the shooter to slip on. I ran first and did an OK performance, considering the cold and clothing. Then when I ran the next guy, he sprinted to the position with me a yard back and to his right, and just far enough over to hit the ice. My feet slipped right out from under me and the next thing I knew I was on my back, thrusting the timer downrange to keep it in a safe direction - kinda odd how your mind works at times like that. I wasn't in his way, so the shooter kept going. I got back up and finished him up. Of course when I went down I landed right on my mags, so my back is really sore now.

There were 4 stages, one of which was an oddball 2 gun (pistol/shotgun). I don't have a shotgun but the very gracious Mike McDowell lent me his 870 to use (Thanks Mike!). Since I'm cross eye dominant, I use tape on my right lens. I'm really not very familiar with a shotgun so I asked if I could shoulder it pointing it at the berm to get a quick feel for it. Fortunately I asked, since I'm right handed and my right lens was taped I couldn't see a thing, and I couldn't get the tape off, so I ended up shooting it left handed LOL.

Anyway, the first run was not too good, but on my rerun I got fastest time of the day, LOL. But what a blast, it was amazing. I think I may need to consider getting more gear and participating in some 3 gun. I can see why those guys are so enthusiastic about their sport.

I also had to DQ my first shooter today, he slipped and fell, had a brain fart and engaged a piece of steel way too close.

Fun way to start the new year :)

• 2 months later...

Took first place in ESP this weekend, which was great, although a little surprising. I had a bunch of new shooters to help, so I wasn't particularly in my game. It also didn't help that I was a drinker for some OVI training at the local PD the day before. My trigger control was awful and it cost me far too many points, but I just couldn't resist the free drinks! :)

I was also approached by someone who said they're looking to start running IDPA matches at Oakland Park up by Marengo, OH. I was hoping that it was going to be a lot closer, but it's pretty much equidistant from Big Darby Creek. I'm not sure how that's going to work out, but I wish them luck.

The next few weeks are going to be busy. I should have some airsoft supplies arriving this week, so it'll be fun to break that out and start plinking away. There's a classifier in May, so I'm going to try a lot harder to get master. I had a good long winter break, so it's time I knuckle down and get to work again.

I also want to develop a new load using 185gr tips, to hopefully increase consistency in velocities, so any major matches I attend this year won't be as nail biting at the chrono stage.

My fitness schedule also took a dive this winter. I had a couple of minor injuries and took on two rescue dogs but they just didn't work out. Then after talking it over with my wife at length, we decided on a doberman pup, so all that has thrown my schedule off and I haven't yet been able to re-establish a solid rhythm.

But I do feel like everything is once again falling into place and I will be back on track again this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran through the classifier yesterday. First run was terrible, I had some malfunctions and my head just wasn't there, I had a hard time picking up the sights. After running a few people through, there was a lull towards the end of the day, so I ran through it again and did much better. Including points down I shot it in about 104s (ESP), which is my best so far. Looking at the hits, it's quite clear what I need to work on.