Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Down, but not out... Yup!

Sharyn

I haven't shot since WSXV in Bali... Going in for knee surgery on March 19th. :angry2:

I'll be at the US Steel Nationals March 26-29th with cameras and laptop in hand (or backpack) but on crutches (anyone have a spare golf cart?)

I need some encouragement and motivation. Last season was disasterous for me and the knee injury just put me over the edge.

If you're in the Tampa area... please stop by and say HI, bring gifts (perishable and non-perishable) and I love chocolate. Those weeks of recovery are going to suck without you. ;)

In the weeks of recovery following surgery, I plan on ciphering through pictures and video from Indonesia (which I promised long ago!), finishing and updating my new website, and studying for some advanced nursing certifications (medication/mental state allowing).

So, look forward to (or not) more posts from me in the near future!

Sharyn,

I had the same thing done in November of 2007. I slipped in a restaurant in January 2007 and tore it up. I am 42 years old and I seem to have recovered fairly well. I was shooting by mid-January. Its nice to have stability back in my knee. Follow the rehab procedures to the letter and you'll be fine.

Sharyn, sorry to hear you are down, but it will be better in the long run. Do the pain know and it will be all good. If I make through this season without knee surgery I will be shocked but I am going to give it hell and see what shakes out. My left knee is toast and the right isn't a lot better. What harm could come from a couple more scars and an openly legitimate excuse for a guy my age with a gimp? Knee surgery works.

Sharyn,

I still remember the first time I saw you shooting or noticed anyway. You were asking a guy you knew to take your picture but "I don't want to see pics of my bu... & my bo...." I was laughing hard so then I had to watch you shoot. You came in hard past a wall, slid down onto your knees accidentally but just kept right on shooting. You burned that stage down. I was impressed with your stick-to-it-ness. As the years have gone by, you have kept right on growing. Smoother & faster, especially with Smitty's help. It always makes me smile when I think of you shooting. The most recent time I saw video of you, you were moving like Smitty, actually. Very smooth but with the foot plants & body twists very similar to his style. Made me smile again.

Get well soon, come on back.

My wife has given me the best advice of anyone, I'll share it with you: Be safe, Have fun, Do good. In that order with that emphasis on the first two. If you get the "have fun & do good" out of order too much, the joy of shooting can go away, making it a meaningless exercise. A JOB, if you will. I don't need another JOB.

MLM

You came in hard past a wall, slid down onto your knees accidentally but just kept right on shooting.

That was either at the Double Tap match... or the sliding on my knees was intentional... I don't wonder why I'm having surgery. ;)

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, it was the Dbl Tap, first year for it, I think. Gary Wu was the one with your camera. hahaha.

No wonder you need surgery on your knee! If I remember, it was pretty rocky down there at the end or maybe it was a bunch of brass. Whatever it was, looked like it hurt! You didn't even limp or whine, which I would have done both. LOL.

MLM

• 3 weeks later...

Surgery went well yesterday... I was pretty nervous being in the hospital that I work in (and knowing what goes on behind the scenes)... but the Anesthesiologist gave me some "liquid confidence" and I don't remember anything after that. (Versed is a godsend!) :D

So, post op day 1 and so far so good. Starting to swell and becoming more painful but that's what the good drugs are for. Smitty is taking really good care of me. :wub:

Surgery went well yesterday... I was pretty nervous being in the hospital that I work in (and knowing what goes on behind the scenes)... but the Anesthesiologist gave me some "liquid confidence" and I don't remember anything after that. (Versed is a godsend!) :D

So, post op day 1 and so far so good. Starting to swell and becoming more painful but that's what the good drugs are for. Smitty is taking really good care of me. :wub:

Sharyn,

Good to hear everything went well. Remember, follow the rehab exactly and you'll be fine.

BTW, my anesthesiologist was evil. My surgery was the week before the Carolina/Clemson football game. All of the surgical staff were wearing nasty orange Clemson gowns, caps, crocks, etc. Even my surgeon was. I was really sick and worried about all these "Taters" operating on me. There was one nurse in Gamecock attire and she assured me that she would take care of me. Anyway, once we got in the OR, the anesthesiologist leans over my head and asks if I'm OK. I said, "Yep. I guess so." then he points to this ugly Clemson Tiger Paw on his surgical cap and says, "See this?" I said, "Yes." He said, "This is the last thing you are going to remember." Dammit!!! That is the last thing I remembered!!!! :angry: When I woke up, my wife was there and asked if I was OK. The first thing I said was, "That bastard!" She was really confused...

Anyway, take care.

Edited by Jack Suber

Versed scares me! :o That stuff is just flat out spooky... Far better than sodium thiopental, but... ;)

Glad to hear it went well, though, and you're doing ok!

Hang in there, and "enjoy" the rehab ;) I'm sure you'll be out there shooting again soon, so...

• 2 months later...

3 months out and I'm still on the Injured Reserve List. Lateral meniscus repair, patellar chondroplasty and medial plica removal. I'm "allowed" to ride a bike without resistance, but no running and even walking quickly is quite painful. My doctor says I'm doing great, but I feel like the healing process is terribly slow and I'm still in way too much pain.

Good news is I start school at USF on June 30th for my Masters in Nursing. At least I can do something while my knee is jacked up. Shooting... not so much. :(

I miss you guys!

Sharyn,

I had the exact same surgery on my right knee in Nov. 2007. By Nov 2008, I was 100%. Just continue to follow the rehab. I noticed the most progress at about 7 or 8 months. I am very active - cycling, running, shooting, so the down time was rough on me. My weight got the highest it had ever been. Currently, I am back down to my pre-injury weight. It was hard to get back to it though, at my age... :wacko:

It sure is nice not to have to worry about whether or not my knee is going to give out during a stage!

Edited by Jack Suber

Sharyn,

I had the exact same surgery on my right knee in Nov. 2007. By Nov 2008, I was 100%. Just continue to follow the rehab. I noticed the most progress at about 7 or 8 months. I am very active - cycling, running, shooting, so the down time was rough on me. My weight got the highest it had ever been. Currently, I am back down to my pre-injury weight. It was hard to get back to it though, at my age... :wacko:

It sure is nice not to have to worry about whether or not my knee is going to give out during a stage!

I hear ya. The physical and emotional strain is nearly too much to bear. I've lost the post surgical 10lbs that I gained, but still have more to lose due to the inactivity. It's so damn frustrating.

Had another post-op follow up appointment today. Still being reassured that I'm recovering great post-tricompartmental surgery. I've developed patellar tendonitis and nearly begged for a lidocaine/methylprednisolone injection but he said that may cause the tendon to rupture... yikes! I'm not cleared to increase my physical activity yet. Argh. Doc gave me Voltaren (good stuff!), Flector patches and we're going to start Supartz (hyaluronan) injections.

grumble, grumble, grumble...

Thanks for the support guys! :D

Be strong and patient as you can. I'm going on nearly two years after ACL reconstruction and Microfracture surgery on my left knee. It STILL SUCKS!! :angry2: But it is a alot better than it was a year ago.

Good luck and work hard at the PT.