Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sit or stand

wooddog

I've tried both. For years I reloaded at an old heavy desk. Just didn't feel quite right. It seemed a little harder on my back and was a pain everytime I needed something else on the bench. Usually had to stand up to reach anything.

Later I built a heavy reloading bench to the height I felt was optimum. Other than my feet getting tired after a while, I've found standing works much better for longer reloading sessions. I am not a "speed" loader so I can't really say its faster or slower, but with my 550 I usually load 300 rounds in about 35 to 40 minutes.

Bill

I have found that sitting while reloading really adds to my stage time. And it is harder to get the mags out of their pouches that way. :rolleyes:

sorry,

I stand at my 650 where I can see the input from the case feeder and down into the case under the bullet dropper to check for powder. I also seem to be better leverage on the handle also. If I sit where I can see into station 1 and 3, I do not get a good down stroke on the handle. Wear comfy shoes, and you are OK.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

I added a bass boat seat to the top of a Bar stool. So I basically made a higher high backed stool that is just the right height to either sit or lean on. My work bench is above belt level so add the strong mount and 550 to that.

I stand and lean against a bar stool.

my old setup was like this. I built a bench just the right height and it was great. Really miss that set up.

Now I use a bench made from cabinets and counter top. Nicer set up but just little low for standing and too high to sit. I'm 6'1ish.

Edited by dstroyed

Good or even perfect posture is key for alert and painless reloading sessions. I cut the legs on a bar stool so that I could sit perfectly straight up on it, with my feet underneath me, on the rungs. And when the press is at rest, you want to handle to be at approx. shoulder height.

be

Good or even perfect posture is key for alert and painless reloading sessions. I cut the legs on a bar stool so that I could sit perfectly straight up on it, with my feet underneath me, on the rungs. And when the press is at rest, you want to handle to be at approx. shoulder height.

be

That is a great idea. You are the man BE :cheers:

I also stand. It seems to give me more leverage.

I built my bench after I received my 650 so I could determine the optimum height. I stand on an anti-fatigue mat, about 1" thick. I accounted for the thickness of the mat when I built my bench.

Rick

I reload standing. I have several layers of anti-fatigue mats underneath my feet and the machine is set up so I don't have to stoop or bend too much so I can keep loading for hours and not realize it. Usually the girlfriend has to come down into the man-pit and bug me to quit!

Edited by Shawn Knight

I have a jacked up back and if I didn't sit while reloading I probably wouldn't be able to get to the range much. My bench is low so I get the same view I would if I was standing with my 650 on a strong mount.

Neal in AZ

Wow, way more people stand while loading than i thought. I always sit. I stand up alot at work and sitting is way more comfortable. I get up about every 100 rounds to refill the primers, throw some brass in and top off the powder. My press is

setup like b.e. described.