Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does your range utilize No Blue Sky Baffles?

It will put some serious limitations on stage design due to the supports for the overhead baffles. So far our club has not complained as we run our USPSA matches at the end of the range past these baffles. I think they are mainly there when we are open to the public and they all shoot from the same covered firing line.

Same at our range. We run matches at the end of the range, right up against the berm. Public/open hours are the main concern, with an RO and SO both watching the shooter we get a pass for matches.

It will put some serious limitations on stage design due to the supports for the overhead baffles. So far our club has not complained as we run our USPSA matches at the end of the range past these baffles. I think they are mainly there when we are open to the public and they all shoot from the same covered firing line.

Same at our range. We run matches at the end of the range, right up against the berm. Public/open hours are the main concern, with an RO and SO both watching the shooter we get a pass for matches.

Thats why we are baffling the entire range and doing it as a clear span with no supports in the middle. It will make us have to be aware of the side supports when setti g up matches, but it is not too difficult. The range overhead pictured above is 56' by 35' desiged for our 50' range. The next two will be designed for 75' ranges with slightly wider bays. Same basic layout and support system.

• 1 month later...

My local range had to do the overhead baffle thing and for fixed target shooting it's not bad at all, aside from the fact that club members keep hitting the support structures. However our range was deisgned with collumes all over the place so for IDPA and USPA matches it does limit how much of the range we can use. It wasn't drastic but it was noticeable.