Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with 147gr

philproulx

147gr bullets end up with 9mm loads that usually don't get the best efficiency out comps. Most 9mm shooters are using 115-124gr bullets to get enough gas to work the comp.

Also, depending on the barrel used, the twist may not offer the best accuracy using 147gr bullets. Shuemann has nice article on the topic

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fi...=67&mid=445

Before switching to jacketed bullets, I loaded 9x21 with Kead 147 gr TCFP bullets using WW-540 powder. Used that load for several years in a Nowlin barrel with 3 port progressive comp. Get the load just a little too hot and it leaded badly. Get it just barely above 165 PF and it still leaded the comp but not real bad. I stuck with this load because I had close to 35K bullets just setting in the corner of the garage and couldn't justify buying something else.

Once I used up most of these, switched to MG 124 gr JHP. No more leading and a much flatter load.

Given a choice, I will never go back to 147 gr with a compensated pistol.

Bill

Grauffel uses 147 soft point armscore for practice on his 38 super.

Much more case volume in 38S than 9x19.

I can make a 170pf with a 147gr bullet out of my G24 open gun, but the comp does not work very efficiently due to the lower gas pressure.

Using my STI, I compared 170pf using 147 and 124gr 9x19 loads. The gun is much flatter with 124gr, though I did feel it was softer with 147.

For most 9x19 guns it is more difficult to load 147's to power factor and stay at reasonable pressures. It has to do with the case capacity left over after seating a very long 147 instead of a shorter 124.

Even though 124gr loads need more powder to make PF, there is a lot more room for that powder after seating a 124. That's in addition to all the posts about flatter, faster recovery, which are all true.

If you shoot a really heavy bullet in Open, you're getting a gun that kicks almost like a LTD gun but is only legal in Open.

i tried some 147gr rainer loaded w/ 7.? vv n350 that a friend was shooting. i was shooting them out of a hardy mongoose. it was like i had to wait for the slide to cycle. almost like it was in slow motion. i would stick with the lighter bullets. the more pressure you can generate the better.