Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Blueray player?

The new setup rocks, especially pluming the sound from the Blue Ray into the Yamaha amp via/optical cable.

So here's a quick for you Beven (or anyone) - would I get better sound quality out of my Yamaha stereo if I connected it to my CD player with an digital/optical cable? Now it's connected with the standard, analog red/white cables.

be

would I get better sound quality out of my Yamaha stereo if I connected it to my CD player with an digital/optical cable? Now it's connected with the standard, analog red/white cables.

be

You'll get better quality, but then again, it's my opinion that two tin cans and some wax string will give you better audio quality than your standard red/white audio cables :ph34r:

Edited to add:

My home theater setup is all HDMI, but I never tried to hook a stereo into it. I just stream mp3's from my PC to my Xbox.

Edited by Anubis

The new setup rocks, especially pluming the sound from the Blue Ray into the Yamaha amp via/optical cable.

So here's a quick for you Beven (or anyone) - would I get better sound quality out of my Yamaha stereo if I connected it to my CD player with an digital/optical cable? Now it's connected with the standard, analog red/white cables.

be

Brian,

The optical cable (technical name is Toslink) is superior over analog cables. But if your Yamaha is only a two channel (Stereo) amp, then the difference is sound quality will be difficult to judge (but if you have it, you might as well use it). Real reason to use the Toslink is to get 5.1 surround sound (6 speakers - right/left front, center/sub woofer, right/left rear). This 5.1 signal is digital only, connected by Toslink or coax cable, and must be de-coded by a receiver/amp that designed for 5.1 (or even 7.1) sound. If you are not watching/listening to your latest DVD/Bluray movies in 5.1, you are missing 50% of the experience (this is no exaggeration). Even Over-The-Air digital TV is broad casted in 5.1 sound today. If you don't have a 5.1 system, borrow a 5.1 computer sound system from someone. You will be amazed.

Once you decide to go 5.1, then there will be another class on the different de-coding formats that have come and gone with the differences in DVD to Bluray.

Thanks Beven!

Is there a 5.1 (or even 7.1) system you would recommend?

be

A good computer sound system I use for 5.1 is the Logitech Z5500 (available at many online retailers, and goes on sale if you look for it. Just recently saw it for $210.00 and free shipping from Techbargains.com). It will handle Dolby Digital and DTS de-coding, which is standard for DVD 5.1 sound. Bluray disc's have this same type of sound track codec burnt into them, so you will get good 5.1 from this also. But, along with the superior picture of Bluray, you also have the latest and greatest sound codec's called "Dolby TrueHD" and "DTS-HD Master Audio". You will need a better system then the Z5500 to achieve this sound experience (yes, it does make a difference). I have not found a computer sound system set up for this yet.

Next step is to go all the way to a home entertainment system/amp. I don't have a "best bang for the buck" pick for you, but all the vender's have models to pick from, including Yamaha. I have been looking at the Denon stuff myself.

If you are going for broke on a system, then the 7.1 sound adds a right and left "side" speaker to the whole thing. More is better right? Well, I have not had a whole lot of experience with the side speakers yet, and most of the movies I have collected have not been burnt with 7.1 sound. I am sure it will make a difference, and it will become more of a standard in the near future. All I know is 5.1 makes watching everything (Over-The-Air digital TV, DVD, Bluray) way more enjoyable.