Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 Brass

Chris

I'm having some problems with the extractor on my GAP .308. Its making it hard to close the bolt and it gouging up the brass as well.

Once the rim is over the extractor (after I close it the first time), the bolt closes again easily.

I took it out and cleaned it and its a bit easier to close, but still really stiff.

Any ideas?

Edited by Chris

from an email..

me:

"I was shooting some factory American Eagle ammo the other day and it was very hard to close the bolt with this ammo. Is this just a case size problem or should I look at something else?"

gap:

"American Eagle is Fedral and the brass is bad. "

shocking that george would blame it on something other than his rifles... Anywho, it is very possible they chambered it with a new reamer that has a very tight tolerance so factory loaded ammo doesn't want to chamber easily. Usually I would say you are using old brass that needs to be neck turned to chamber correctly but if it is new factory loaded ammo I would blame the rifle.

isaac

OK, so I think I figured it out.

Took the extractor out and polished the hook with a createx wheel on my dremel and rounded the sharp edge over just a bit. Popped it back in the bolt and now it works nice and smooth.

Shot 40 rounds out of it today through the magazine with no hang ups and no gouging the brass either!

OK, so I think I figured it out.

Took the extractor out and polished the hook with a createx wheel on my dremel and rounded the sharp edge over just a bit. Popped it back in the bolt and now it works nice and smooth.

Shot 40 rounds out of it today through the magazine with no hang ups and no gouging the brass either!

I don't mean to start throwing flames at George, but I had a similar experience with some work he did for me awhile back.

Got a rifle back from GAP, rounds (my reloads) wouldn't chamber. Called him up and described the problem. He said it must be my reloads. I said they were the same rounds that chambered and worked before I sent the rifle it. He said to get factory ammo and there would be no problem. Factory ammo wouldn't chamber either (big suprise eh?). A local gunsmith cleaned out the chamber with a wire brush, removed debris that had accumulated in it while at the shop and everything chambered fine.

There's a lot more to this story that I won't get into, but I've since found other gunsmiths that do great, reliable work with much quicker turn around for my needs.

I don't really think there's any "bad" 308 brass, Remington, Federal, Winch, Laupa, Lake City etc. Some might be spec'd better than others, but none are bad. It's a low pressure cartridge and I've had brass from numerous different mfgs that has lasted through 8-12 loads before the necks split or something else happens.