Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belts: CR Speed vs. Double Alpha?

ChrisMcCracken

Whats the difference between the CR Speed and Double alpha belts? I've seen lots of support for the CR speed on but haven't heard much about the other.

-Chris

The DA outer belt is stiffer and thicker than the old CR Speed Hi-Torque Belt. The DA inner belt is thinner. Oddly the CR speed mag pouches fit a lot better on the DA belt. They are too loose on the CR Speed belt. I have heard from others that some other brands of mag pouches are difficult to fit on the DA belt due to the increased width and thickness but I don’t have any first hand experience.

I started out with a CR speed belt but like the DA belt considerably better, the inner belt goes on easier and has less bulk, while the outer belt is stiff enough to compensate for the smaller inside belt and then some. Most importantly my CR Speed mag pouches don't wobble at all. The DA belts so far have held up to abuse and the Velcro is lasting real well. Regardless of brand I think you want one at least 2" bigger than your actual waist size.

The big however, is that CR Speed now has a new "Super Hi-Torque" belt which I have not tried. Someone else will have to report on how well the CR speed mag pouches fit on the new belt.

i have both but prefer the cr inner to double alpha's thin one. double alpha outer is really stiff and makes it difficult to install some holsters/pouches. it can be done with some effort and once they are on they ARE ON!

Edited by dr2e

I have both. The Double Alpha is a little thicker that the original CR Speed and holds my pouches exactly where I put them. I ahve not seen the new CR Speed. You cannot go wrong with either product. Both the Rescas at CR Speed and Saul Kirsch at Double Alpha are good people. You will be happy with either product.

Whats the difference between the CR Speed and Double alpha belts? I've seen lots of support for the CR speed on but haven't heard much about the other.

-Chris

The DA outer belt is stiffer and thicker than the old CR Speed Hi-Torque Belt. The DA inner belt is thinner. Oddly the CR speed mag pouches fit a lot better on the DA belt. They are too loose on the CR Speed belt. I have heard from others that some other brands of mag pouches are difficult to fit on the DA belt due to the increased width and thickness but I don’t have any first hand experience.

I started out with a CR speed belt but like the DA belt considerably better, the inner belt goes on easier and has less bulk, while the outer belt is stiff enough to compensate for the smaller inside belt and then some. Most importantly my CR Speed mag pouches don't wobble at all. The DA belts so far have held up to abuse and the Velcro is lasting real well. Regardless of brand I think you want one at least 2" bigger than your actual waist size.

The big however, is that CR Speed now has a new "Super Hi-Torque" belt which I have not tried. Someone else will have to report on how well the CR speed mag pouches fit on the new belt.

+1

I think DA is better than old CR-Speed but I haven't try new"Super Hi-Torque" yet.

I have both. I put the cr-speed pouches on the DA belt (fit tighter and don't have to do the screw lock thing) and the SL-773 pourches on the cr-speed belt. I like the cr-speed inner belt best for wear to and from the range, but the DA inner belt also works fine. I buy a separate belt for each rig, so I don't have to change them back and forth. Inner belts seem to be interchangeable.

Can't go wrong buying several of each. :P

I've wondered about this, too...good to know that there is a difference in thickness between the two...

Just picked up a Blade-Tech holster with Tek-Loc...would the thicker DA outer belt be a problem with the Tek-Loc system?

Seems to be a change in attitude to the Double Alpha. When I researched this a few months ago prior to buying my first belt, the DA was getting panned as "too thick, makes it too hard to get gear on it" and "inner belt sucks", with "buy quality once, get the CR" as a general proffered opinion.

I'm hard-headed and contrarian, and like many of CED's products, so I got the DA. It is tougher to get some holsters on, but once they are on, they definitely stay put. On one kydex holster that had a wide blt attachment area and was tough, I shoved it on and then used a heat gun on the belt attachment area to curve it a bit more. This made it easier to get on, with out other problems. The DA inner belt works great and fits all of my belt loops.

The Double Alpha works great.

Edited by ben b.

I've wondered about this, too...good to know that there is a difference in thickness between the two...

Just picked up a Blade-Tech holster with Tek-Loc...would the thicker DA outer belt be a problem with the Tek-Loc system?

My new 3-gun rig is all Tek-Locs and its on a DA belt. The plastic is stressed a little more than when I tried it on my CR Speed belt, but it's only a little bit and not enough to concern me. They stay put pretty well. Also I have noticed the DA Belt itself conforms a bit to what is stretched onto it so the stress on the plastic is appears to be less now than when I first put the Tek-Locs on.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Blade-Tech moon clip pouches with Tek-Loc on my CR Speed hi-torque. They do not move. I have a new Super Hi-Torque belt sitting on my kitchen table. I will be using that with a Blade-Tech holster and Blade-Tech mag pouches. When I get it set up and start using it I will give a report. :)

Edited by matt625

the new CR speed belts are in fact beefier and my CR WSM 2 holster fits snug and secure. On my old CR speed belts, I had to place a big washer in between the belt and holster to get it on there good. I didn't have any room to do so with my new belt.

Looks like an entirely new belt all together, fit and build is better. I really like my belt.

crspeed001.jpg

• 1 month later...

My bid is for the Double Alpha belt, fits my Guga holster perfect. Like others have said once its on its on. I love how stiff the outer is no more mag droop for me. And Saul is a great guy, I ordered my belt and it had a little damage so he replaced it and let me keep the first one :bow: I would buy anyone of his products with great confidence.

I think they are both great belts, but for me.... How shall I put this... Oh hell, for fat guys the thinner the belt the better. It can be a bear to bend over with a wide belt. Those of you with sheds over the tools will know that I speak the truth. :P

Edited by JThompson

• 7 months later...

Anyone have a problem fitting Safariland 773 mag pouches on the DA belt? Currently had to really open the width to fit on my Galco belt and I am concerned if the DA is wider they will not fit. Use Blade Tech DOH holster and would not expect a problem with it. I like the idea of the thinner inner if the mag pouches will fit. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Why is everyone's CR mag pouches moving around on their CR belts? Don't you guys use those thin little wedges that came with them? Slide them on to where you want them, drive the wedge in and they are rock solid. Then put a little velcro on the back of them so you don't have a large area without velcro between the belts. That's my experience anyway. Sorry, no experience with the double alpha belt.