Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best / Worst Powder Metering in Dillon Powder Measure

I noticed that no one mentioned Auto Comp... I wonder why ??

Probably because there's very little data on AutoComp in reloading books. I've been using it for about a year and it works well in my open gun. If you look on Winchester's load data web page there's only a few recipes. I started off on the low side. It meters well in my 550b, makes major PF, works the comp, runs clean and it's accurate. What's not to like about that?

Edited by 72stick

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So far I've found the following:

VV N310 and N320 meter very well.  (no mods to powder measure other than the UniqueTek delrin powder bar with Mic. for N320)

IMR 8208XBR for 5.56 (55gn) and 7.62 (168gr) meters very well. (short extruded sticks)

I want to replicate MK316 loads (SOCOM MK118LR variant) using IMR 4064 on the 1050 but I'm hearing people say it meters like crap.  Would H4895 work better?  What about RL-15 or Ramshot TAC?  I will be using 175 SMK bullets.  I am not single-staging 2000 of these rounds so my powder decision is dependent on how it meters through a Dillon.

Thanks.

On 8/15/2013 at 0:17 PM, Mikelindsey said:

Anyone using Allianz AR powder for 223

I am relativity new to the Dillion 650 but I have tried AR-Comp though the hopper and showing +-.1gr on average for .223 cases

Of course I have polished the powder funnel/hopper and installed the Uniqetek micrometer.

I have also tried CFE-223, TAC and 8208 and get +-.1 gr avg. I tested between 20-30 drops of each at a given weight and every once in a while I might get a .2 gr variation.

Edited by fedupflyer

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:31 AM, chrishoesel said:

So far I've found the following:

VV N310 and N320 meter very well.  (no mods to powder measure other than the UniqueTek delrin powder bar with Mic. for N320)

IMR 8208XBR for 5.56 (55gn) and 7.62 (168gr) meters very well. (short extruded sticks)

I want to replicate MK316 loads (SOCOM MK118LR variant) using IMR 4064 on the 1050 but I'm hearing people say it meters like crap.  Would H4895 work better?  What about RL-15 or Ramshot TAC?  I will be using 175 SMK bullets.  I am not single-staging 2000 of these rounds so my powder decision is dependent on how it meters through a Dillon.

Thanks.

Nothing meters worse through my 650 than IMR4064.  +/- 1.0g inconsistency

H4895 meters well for me, as does RL15.  I can run those in progressive mode and get SD in the mid teens

CFE-Pistol measures so well through Dillon powder measures (actually, it meters well regardless of what measure you use), that if the powder charges are varying, it's not enough to be perceptible on my Ohaus 10*10 scale. So less than .1gr variance. It is by far the most consistent throwing powder I've ever used.

17 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Nothing meters worse through my 650 than IMR4064.  +/- 1.0g inconsistency

H4895 meters well for me, as does RL15.  I can run those in progressive mode and get SD in the mid teens

Thanks NatureBoy.  I will order H4895.  RL-15 is not available anwhere for me.

On 24.8.2016 at 2:31 PM, chrishoesel said:

Same thing with N340 and 3N37 - out of my old totally stock SDB. Occasionally, I see a 0.1 grain difference, If I start with an almost full measure and let it go almost empty.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:46 PM, benos said:

I've seen threads in the Dillon forum on how to polish the base of the Powder Measure to make it work well with Varget.

Yes, I did that and had good results with Varget, even in .223

The trick is to slow down and give it time to clear the throat, something I learned here.  It's a good thing too, because Varget works so well with both .223 and .308

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2016 at 11:26 AM, NatureBoy said:

Yes, I did that and had good results with Varget, even in .223

The trick is to slow down and give it time to clear the throat, something I learned here.  It's a good thing too, because Varget works so well with both .223 and .308

2nd this.  Polish the powder bar and slow down a bit and Varget works fine in my 650.

• 2 years later...