Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 175 swc

Chris40

Hi everyone I am looking for some help I have a Dillon 650 and I have reloaded a lot of 45 acp’s on it. I got a new STI in 40 S&W when I seat the bullet I get a ring of lead that comes up I am seating them at 1.150. It only happens on Federal brass witch is thicker at 0.16 or am I doing something wrong. It does not happen with I use Winchester brass. What type of brass or you using and should I just use 180 jacketed.

Thanks Chris

Chris,  welcome to the fold!!!

Maybe your bell isn't big enough.  Or maybe even too big.  The dillon manual is pretty good with the pics and all.  If your having problems with the bullet staying on you probably need to bell alittle more.   If it seems to seat down in the case it's probably too much.

Also and I'm not sure if this could cause it but a .40 is taper crimped not rolled.  If your crimping WAY too much maybe you could be getting some lead/jacket fouling.

.40 is by far the load in limited,  and an XL650 is probably the most or second most used press by this crowd.  This IS the place to solve your problem.  Add in some more specifics like the type dies you use and bullet type.  The pros that post here can probably fix you right up!!!

My advise is be careful of shooting your loads until you find the problem.  I've read lots about .40 pressures and personally I take lots of care to not do something really bad!!!

Just my .02

1. mo' bell

2. less crimp (not sure you have even got to the crimp station yet)

3. less bullet (have you measured them? should be .401"  ... some are oversized)

4. yeah you should just use jacketed unless somebody's giving you the lead for free

Thanks  3quartertime yep I have been reading this forum for some time I got lot of good info. The 650 has a crimp station, with the same set up it works fine with the Win brass it happens when I am setting the bullet in the Fed brass.          Thanks

(Edited by Chris40 at 4:41 pm on Oct. 1, 2002)

"it works fine with the Win brass it happens when I am setting the bullet in the Fed brass. "        

My 650 and I are brass stoopid.  I use all types and don't have a shaving problem.   I wonder if it might be the quality of bullet like Erik said.

I use both cast and jacketed.  I much prefer jacketed but I can only get 200 grainers in jacketed.  I tend to like a heavier bullet now.  Thinking of lightening up though.  I've been cutting up buffs lately!!!

Yep I did not have a problem with my 45 acp and I used all types of brass to. For now I am going to put the 175 swc to the side and get some jacketed bullet and try that. I am just trying to get it together before the state shoot I have not had much time to work on it because of theT storm and now the hurricane

Before dropping the $$$ on jacketed, you might try plated bullets from WestCoast, Ranier, Berrys, or even speer (more $$$ though). Cost less than most jacketed bullets, though more than lead.

I switched away from lead for many reasons; one of them being the article on Schumann (sp) (the barrel manufacturer) website about stainless barrels - after reading it, I completely stopped cleaning my barrel in the STI and it shoots fine many thousands of rounds later. You read right - I never clean the barrel. I clean the chamber on occasion - but never the barrel. Can't say I miss it or the lead in my environment. Now you can't get away with this in you .223 rifle, but for 1911 barrels? Throw the brush away.

gm iprod,  I actually have moved up one.  I was using a 13# with my 200 gr.  FMJ's and the buffs were lasting pretty long.  ( 2 to 4 thousand ).  I started using 220 gr. cast and moved to a 14# er.  I cut a buff after 1000 or so.  Not shredded but a small cut.  I'm not real happy with the quality of the 220 grainers so I'm thinking of going back down.  Actually I've been thinking of going lite for a while and seeing how I like it.  

Maybe I'm just itchin' to work up a new load!!!

I'll be looking for that article Carlos.  Sounds like something I would be interested in.  At least then I would have a valid reason for waiting so long to clean the blaster!!!

Found the link: http://www.schuemann.com

I don't shoot Schuemann's barrels since one did not come with my STI Edge, but I was intrigued by his article and asked a few others about it. Stopped cleaning about 4,000 rounds ago without noticeable effect on accuracy. Not cleaning works for me; if you prefer to clean your barrel, thats fine too. To each his own.

• 2 weeks later...