Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Other shotgun games

Bret Heidkamp

On the Alliant website, it lists ProReach powder for being great for shotgun games:

"Ideal for games such as Back Porch, Annie Oakley, Protection and Buddy"

I've heard of Annie Oakley before, can't remember what the rules are, but what are the others? Can anyone just post a description of how these all are played?

Thanks!

Many clubs have games that derived off skeet and trap. My old club used to shoot SCRATCH which was a local game where you shot trap targets from the skeet positions. Started at skeet 1 and you had to break a target to move to the next station. I think most of the games you list are some form of local game shot on a skeet/trap field at trap style targets.

Ranger's right. A lot of these games are local, and even though they may be similer to others played elsewhere, they may go by different names.

At my club they play a game called "Chinese Skeet" which is similer to what ranger called "SCRATCH." Shoot trap targets from skeet stations beginning at station 1, and shooter shoots until he breaks two targets IN A ROW before moving to the next station. Each shooter is allowed only 25 rounds of ammo, and the one getting farthest around the skeet field wins. (There's usually a bet on the line too....)

"Annie Oakley" is a trap shooting universal though, I believe. Any old trap shooter should be able to tell you how this is played.

Let's see.

ProReach powder.

Back Porch or Betch'ca can't "from well beyond the 27 yard line."

Buddy. Kind of a "you back me up if I miss" making shots LOOOONG.

If you getting board Bret (howdy by the way) try my game of 60 second skeet!

All eight stations, all doubles, clock starts on you first call of pull. Load and shoot as needed. You have 60 seconds.

Carry on

Patrick

If you getting board Bret (howdy by the way) try my game of 60 second skeet!

All eight stations, all doubles, clock starts on you first call of pull. Load and shoot as needed. You have 60 seconds.

I am SO going to do that. Hah !! The conservative skeet shooting crew will freak.

We do shoot "reverse doubles" a bit - all stations in reverse doubles shooting order, gives you some long second shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I think protection (trap) is when you have 2 man teams on each station, first guy calls and shoots, if he misses the second guy shoots. 1 point for first shooter hit, 2 points for second, 3 points for a miss, lowest score wins, alternate who calls between stations, and I think it's 3 birds to a station.

We have a game called the "ding" at my club. Line as many people up on the line as you'd like (between stations is fine).

First 3 shooters from left to right prepare to shoot in order at the same bird

first shooter calls for the bird and shoots

hit=safe

miss 2nd shooter shoots

hit=ding for first shooter/miss=1st shooter safe

if miss, 3rd shooter shoots

hit=ding for first 2 shooters/miss=first 2 shooters safe

if all miss, or first shooter hits, second shooter calls followed up by next 2

if second shooter hits, third shooter calls followed up by next 2

if third shooter hits, fourth shooters calls followed up by next 2

everytime you get a ding you move all the way to the left

if you shoot at a dead bird you get a ding

if you shoot out of turn you get a ding

3 dings and you're out until there's one shooter left

When you get to the last 2 guys it can drag on, so we'll have them start from low ready, or shift back and forth between the 16 and 27 if it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It's a little complicated, but once you get in a rythm it's a really fun game.