Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Something I wrote for my Dad before he died.

Neomet

My dad passed away a year ago and as one would expect I have been thinking of him quite a bit lately. I was in St. Louis and my mom gave me something that I wrote for dad when the Parkinsons started to take his mind, which he kept on his nightstand for the last years of his life. Reading this again now it reminds me of what a great man he was. Great enough that I figured I would share what I wrote with my friends here.

To My Hero

For the battles you fought before I was born,

In the mud and the blood on foreign shores.

For being the one who coached the team

When others claimed they were too busy to let kids play their dreams.

For standing beside me at the starting gate

As it poured and it stormed at that motocross race.

For loving my mom with that twinkle in your eye

For fifty some years as if overnight.

For teaching by example that what's right is right.

That there are things in this world that are worth the fight.

For revealing to me your magic potion

Honor, courage, discipline and devotion.

For showing me what's important as I walk through this world

To be a good husband, a good father, a man of his word.

You are always my hero.

Edited by Neomet

Awesome! I wish before Alzheimer's took my Dad's mind & age took his life, I would have done something as plain & loving as you did. I just kept thinking "another year, another day".

Advice to anyone reading this, Don't wait for tomorrow, do it today!

MLM

You inspired me Rick. I almost lost my Dad last year but a liver transplant saved him as he was clinging to life. I just sat down and wrote to him from my heart. I tell him how I feel a lot but I thought a written reminder would be good for both of us. Thanks for the inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

You made me cry, I lost both of my parents to cancer without really knowing how to express my feelings to them and I tend to get emotional about loosing parents. My mom died 22 years ago at 45 and my dad died in 2005, I wish I could have done something like that.

Very nice, thank you for sharing. I lost my dad to cancer last August, and he was gone just 2 weeks after we found out there was a problem. I was in a very similar situation as rupie, in that I didn’t really know how to communicate my love for him in the final days. I wish I was as poetic as you, and reading what you wrote really hit home with me. My dad was my hero as well.