Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doing the Airsoft Thing

Mark K

Just got my Airsoft "Caspian" from Manny, He is a joy to deal with.

A little frustration because Manny forgot to include the adapter for the gas bottles to the gun, so I could not try it out. THEN I checked to see if the adapter I have on a Butane bottle would work - with a touch of a drill bit, it did work.

OK - I slogged though 7 pages of a Airsoft Search on this forum I finally decided to just ask a couple of quick questions.

1) Recommendations on BB weight? Biodegradable? Particular brands?

2) Recommendations on a good BB speed loader?

3) I understand the Green Gas vs 134 vs Propane. My question is Propane, why not using a use propane from a big 20lb tank instead of the small hand torch type? I work for the company that manufactures Char-Broil grill - getting Propane is not a problem.

These things are far more powerful than I guess - powerful enough to blast through the new sticky target and plactic backing. Oh, Well.

Thanks in advance. (links to recommended products would be appreciated.

Mark K

I would say the only problem you would run into is that you need to turn the tank upside down to allow the liquified gas to flow into the magazine. It nees to be in it's liquid state to function in the gun properly. I have used the small propane bottles to fill my pistol before but I hate using it in a confined area like my basement. Might be something to do with the BOOM factor from an errant spark, like say static electricity from the carpet.

However if you could come up with a short braided line coming from the tank and attach the fill fitting to it...

I don't see why a 20lb tank wouldn't work. The line would get really cold though.

3) I understand the Green Gas vs 134 vs Propane. My question is Propane, why not using a use propane from a big 20lb tank instead of the small hand

1) .23 grams works good. Seems to buck the wind better and fly straighter. Evike has bargain packs. Biodegradable is a personal choice at an extra expense.

2) I prefer to handload them. The speed loaders don't seem to be any "speedier".

3) 20lb tank would be fine it you want to tip that big sucker upside down! Personally having to add silicone and the smell was enough of a deterant for me. I just use airsoft gas...You pay a little more, but it is far more convenient and seems to work better in my experience.

3) I understand the Green Gas vs 134 vs Propane. My question is Propane, why not using a use propane from a big 20lb tank instead of the small hand torch type? I work for the company that manufactures Char-Broil grill - getting Propane is not a problem.

These things are far more powerful than I guess - powerful enough to blast through the new sticky target and plactic backing. Oh, Well.

Mark

I have shattered every plastic target I got my hands on so save your money. If you bought a nice airsoft, buy quality bb's. Buy black bb's that way your eyes will not be pulled from the sights, tracking the shot. I have shot nothing but .20g bb's (Airsoft Elite) with no problem knocking down steel targets in my garage (25 feet). My local airsoft shop tells me that a heavier bb will fly straighter in outside conditions (they were really talking about this for airsoft rifles that go like 120 feet). I load 4 magazines at a time and I use a tokyo mauru (spelling) speed loader ($5), it has been very convenient. I have a propane adapter but I do not use it much. I do not like the smell in my garage so I use green gas, which even though it may be the same thing it does not smell the same. Your going to want something to shoot at and alot of people by hinges, electrical box covers and wood to make knock down targets.

Check on YouTube because alot of USPSA shooters are training with this and posting videos of how they do it.

Gun I use

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=1928

Targets I use

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....x&cPath=609 or www.bamairsoft.com

bb's I use

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=2882

speed loader

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....roducts_id=3270

video of airsoft mixed with uspsa shooting.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=51779811

hope this helps

P burt

Edited by sfpmb

Good idea on the black bb's. I have white and do find myself watching the bb's fly down range. Not good.

For loading, I lock the spring/plunger back on my TM mags with the little plastic thing they supplied and pour some into my hand and feed them into a plastic funnel lined up with the "loading port".

A box of high density foam blew into my yard one day and I cut 6" discs, used duct tape hinges and a sheet with a hole in it to collect the bb's in a box below. When the foam wears out, I'm cutting 5" discs. We shoot five, 6" dia. discs at 21' at our shoots.

I'm shooting a TM MEU 1911 with Coleman "Green Key" propane.

WyoBob

DSCN1836.jpg

Instead of using the big 20lb tank to fill your magazines you might want to try a MAC Coupler. It lets you fill the 1lb bottles from a 20lb tank, which you can then use to fill your airsoft gun. It would be worth it if you are getting your 20lb tanks of Propane for free. Even IF you have to buy your propane, depending on your area propane can be anywhere between $20 - $40 to refill a 20lb tank. An equal amount of camping propane would be around $60. (at $3 per bottle). How much airsofting do YOU do? I just finished my second bottle of the camping propane and they lasted for a LONG time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Propane-Refill-Adapter...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Edited by Filishooter

• 6 months later...
Instead of using the big 20lb tank to fill your magazines you might want to try a MAC Coupler. It lets you fill the 1lb bottles from a 20lb tank, which you can then use to fill your airsoft gun. It would be worth it if you are getting your 20lb tanks of Propane for free. Even IF you have to buy your propane, depending on your area propane can be anywhere between $20 - $40 to refill a 20lb tank. An equal amount of camping propane would be around $60. (at $3 per bottle). How much airsofting do YOU do? I just finished my second bottle of the camping propane and they lasted for a LONG time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Propane-Refill-Adapter...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Harbour Freight sells a similar adapter for $20. Just bought one, but have not used it yet.