Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for Newbies

G-ManBart

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread G-Man!

Not sure if this was mentioned before. Come up with a routine before and after shooting a stage and don't deviate from it. Get to the point where you do your routine without having to think about it.

Here is my routine:

1) all ammo gets case gauged (I usually do this in the hotel the night before the match)

2) I check all rounds for upside down primers before going in the mag

3) only fully loaded mags go on my belt. Any partially filled mag goes in a pocket(s)

4) Do no paste or set steel when you are the next shooter....visual the stage and how you are going to shoot it.

5) I go down range and make sure there are no holes unpasted on no-shoots

6) a new addition to my routine while down range....make sure all paper is pasted and steel is set.

7) verify range is clear before going to the line ( I have seen competitors down range pasting targets when the SO/RO has a shooter on the line, loaded hot and ready to shoot)

8) Check your gear again and make sure you have your ears (and concealment vest if shooting IDPA)

9) Turn off my electronic ears (I used to do this before my Sordins broke)

10) Wait for range commands

11) Shoot the stage

12) Walk with SO/RO as targets are being scored

13) Stop SO/RO before target is pasted if there is a question on how a target was scored

14) Sign the score sheet

15) Find the mags I dropped

16) Head to my range cart and load my mags (check for sand, dirt, etc. and clean if necessary before loading)

17) Double check ammo and mags before securing in mag carriers

18) Head to the safe area every 3-5 stages and clean my gun (I realize this is overkill, but my gun hasn't had a hiccup in over 20 major matches).

Another thing I would suggest for new shooters is to ask a more experienced shooter to critique you. It takes seconds to shoot a stage, and you can spend minutes discussing what happened.

Great thread G-Man!

Not sure if this was mentioned before. Come up with a routine before and after shooting a stage and don't deviate from it. Get to the point where you do your routine without having to think about it.

Here is my routine:

2) I check all rounds for upside down primers before going in the mag

16) Head to my range cart and load my mags (check for sand, dirt, etc. and clean if necessary before loading)

Good stuff! I think there were some posts on routines, but I honestly can't remember now. About the two above, I started putting all my match ammo in Dillon 100rd boxes after I case gauge them. That makes it a lot easier and faster to check the primers compared with while you're loading mags. The other point (and this is just me), unless it's perfect grass, I disassemble my mags and run a brush through them if they touch the ground. R,

I just found out about these mag brushes:

http://www.mannyusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MU&Product_Code=Mag_Cleaning_Brush&Category_Code=

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8764/Product/MAG_BRUSH (brownells sells different sizes for different calibers.....cool)

I also just started using compressed air that Wal-Mart sells in the can for around $5 dollars. Plus, if it's really hot outside, you can turn the can upside down and use it to cool yourself off.

I started using ammo cans at matches since lately I've had bad luck with rain. I have some old boxes that allow me to maximize how much ammo I can fit inside the ammo can so I got in the habit of checking primers while I'm case gauging. I also started getting in the habit of looking for high primers since switching to a 1050. I'm still fighting with the primer mechanism, but I'm sure that it's me that has the problem and not Dillon.

Another pearl is to carry Q-tips, a small bottle of lubricant and a bore snake in your range bag. I also carry all the basic tools I need to tear my 1911 apart. And I also carry an extra fitted ejector. I had one break once and swore I'd never get crippled by that type of breakage again.

Extra fiber optic, a cutting tool of some sort and a bic lighter is also helpful in a pinch.

Edit: I also started carrying baby wipes and sunscreen to matches. A lot of guys haven't had their lead checked, and not all ranges have a place to wash your hands when you're taking a break from shooting (e.g. lunch) or when you're done with the match.

A backup gun is always a good idea too. I also carry an allen wrench and screw driver just in case I need to adjust a holster or mag carrier. When I get my Sordin's fixed, I'll start carry extra batteries.

I also have an extra set of ears that I carry in my range bag. They are the ones where they inject a "goo" in your ear and they firm up as they dry. I use these if a stage requires you to be seated in a car, truck or van. I'm tall and had a bad habit of hitting my ears on the roof of the vehicle as I was getting out of the car to continue a stage.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Edit: I also started carrying baby wipes and sunscreen to matches. A lot of guys haven't had their lead checked, and not all ranges have a place to wash your hands when you're taking a break from shooting (e.g. lunch) or when you're done with the match.

Lead specific wipes are even better. ESCA Tech or MedTox make the two I'm familiar with. I keep the individually packaged ESCA Tech wipes in my bag :cheers:

Lots of really valuable info, many thanks to Bart and other knowledgable people from a relative newb :cheers:

Newbies must leave their ego at home. Especially if you are LE.

That's an excellent point! People need to realize that when they watch the better shooters, they're seeing the product of thousands upon thousands of rounds downrange and usually, countless hours of dry fire practice as well. It's very easy to think "no way they're seeing the sights" or something similar like "that gun/ammo is set up perfectly so they can just point at the target and pull the trigger twice".

Anybody that I talk to about shooting their first couple of matches I always suggest simply walking through the stage....don't bother trying to run or move quickly. Just shoot, get your hits, move smoothly and do one thing at a time. Later on they can rush up to a door, hit the mag release with their right thumb while opening a door with their left hand and reaching for the fresh mag. ;)

Sometimes I go through a stage faster than I should; can see how this destroys my potential for any consistent accuracy but it gets a bit adrenalin-powered...heh :blush:. Spent about 6 months just 'walking' through stages, but decided it was time to speed up a bit. Don't get me wrong - I'm not in any way unsafe, just not slow enough for real accuracy...all my plans to be methodical kinda go out the window when the buzzer sounds lol. Determined to get it under control so that I can slow down sufficently to get good hits, and only then speed up, as you suggest Bart.

Practice your Load and Make Ready routine. Make sure you remove all bad habits from it. Strive for clear and concise gun handling. Very few things make a RO more nervous than a new guy that bumbles around with Load and Make ready.

Never Scare The RO.

Not often that I think this, but in a way its a plus that in Aust you are so closely scrutinised and must pass a compulsory holster proficiency course before you can start in comps...also you cannot purchase a handgun until you've been competing for a minimum of 6 months and must be signed off as competent & safe by your club captain; this gets sent off to the Firearms Registry (ie police) when you're coming to the end of the 1 year probationary period. So by that time usually people have got past the 'bumbling' stage ^_^

In the last month I have seen two things that seem common sense would dictate but then again they really are not talked about much especially where new shooters are concerned.

1. Starting a stage with your back to the targets(facing up range). When you are told to load and make ready, do so while facing DOWNRANGE then turn around to start the stage.

2. When shooting prone(laying down) and you get told to reholster get up on at least one knee before trying to holster. Don't holster while laying down.(try this at home and see which way the muzzle is pointing) It looked like the parting of the red sea behind this guy with everybody moving to either side.

'Red sea', lol.

Same goes for crawling through a 'Cooper tunnel'. Draw the gun FIRST and hold it out in front before entering the tunnel :P

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for this thread. I am very new to the world of the USPSA, and let's just say that I have room for improvement. Before this, I had only shot regular paper targets, and I was hooked halfway through my first stage on club night. This week will only be the 4th club shoot I have been to. I am very slow compared to the others, but at this point I am only competing against myself. As long as I beat myself or don't go backwards, that is all I am trying to do right now. This is a great forum, and I am learning a lot (mainly to quit comparing myself to the others in the club).

David Sayers

A69517

So much good information here it's been a real pleasure to read, and has removed a lot of aprehension from going to my first USPSA match. This forum in general is like finding some hidden book store filled with all the gems I have been looking for. I have had so many questions that I have been able to get answers to by using the search feature that It will probaly be some time before I need to start a thread to find what Im looking for. Thanks again to you all.

• 1 month later...

Great thread! I went to my first USPSA match yesterday to watch, NC Sectional, and I had a great time just watching, looking forward to getting into the matches next year. I just need to get there and run a couple courses to get the feel and get some gear to carry my junk on me. I have some questions, mostly on gear and course runthrough, but that will be later, after I get my feet wet in the sport!

I havent even shot a match yet and I am trying to get my pals in it too!

Great thread! I went to my first USPSA match yesterday to watch, NC Sectional, and I had a great time just watching, looking forward to getting into the matches next year. I just need to get there and run a couple courses to get the feel and get some gear to carry my junk on me. I have some questions, mostly on gear and course runthrough, but that will be later, after I get my feet wet in the sport!

I havent even shot a match yet and I am trying to get my pals in it too

I agree this thread is very helpful in my preparation of my first match.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Alan

• 1 month later...

I am new to this forum. Not new to the sport. When I started, around 1981, a race gun was a 1911 .45 ACP w/ speed trigger,trigger job, ambi safety, and adj. sights. Lots of good advice to new shooters here. You new guys and gals have a leg up in this sport with all the info. I can only add, always be safe in practice cause you will do in a match what you do in practice. Try not to listen to the timing of shots of more seasoned shooters as they run a stage or you may try to shoot beyond your ability. This always ends up with a poorly executed stage. Shoot to your ability and hit what you aim at. The speed will come. Smooth is FAST. Most of us must pay our dues. And some are just naturals. Be patient and most of all safe. If you shoot enough you will probably have an AD. It is just a fact. And if you practice safety in practice you will be safe if this ever happens to you. Use the equipment you have. Look at what others are using. Check out what you like. It won't be the last equipment you buy. And nothing lasts forever. As you progress so will your equipment. Good luck and safe shooting. DVC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GM, thanks for starting this thread, I want to start shooting USPSA, and I have been talking to rak and ed about it. I hope to go the Blackwater match on the 23rd, and start helping out and meeting people. Guys on Castboolits said to go early and help set up and help paste targets and reset steel. Another guy said to get a tshirt and write will work for guns on it. I am planning on getting a well used Glock 17, any suggestions? I am a Junior, so my mom would be there with me. I like the idea of filming yourself, problem is I dont ahve a Camcorder. I will hopefully have a job in August because I turn 16. I would like to trade my Mossberg 185K for the glock. Thanks again, Chris

• 3 months later...

Certainly wish I had read this about a month ago before my 1st USPSA match... didn't have anything to clean my mags with, and it was wet and muddy up here in New England. NOW I know about mag brushes, q-tips, and wipes. Thanks for everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First contribution to the site.

Learned this the hard way last week. During the walk through. Identify where ALL of the targets are. I went through one of my best stages so far, all "A" and one "B"......BUT! There was one target that was very well placed behind a barrel through a window under another target which I didnt know was there. So what would have turned out to be a great run (for me) turned out to be one of the worst (points wise anyway). The good thing was, I learned what I did right to get the hits and also learned what I did wrong to remedy next time.

Thorough walk through, read over the breif and count the targets to know you've seen/ID'd them.

Awesome thread and great site. Thanks all.

Edited by Kiwishtr

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so glad that I found this forum, and particularly this topic. Great info. Thank you G-man Bart and others. I am brand new to shooting and have started shooting USPSA Single Stack with a borrowed 1911 .45 ACP, but of course want my own semi-auto handgun. I want a 5" barrel, I don't reload (yet), and have been most interested in the S&W M&P Pro Series, and the Springfield XD Tactical Series.

First, is this correct:

- 9mm. cheapest ammo. Perfect for Production Division. Can be used for Limited/Limited 10, but you are penalized more for misses as it is Minor Power Factor.

- 40 S&W. slightly more than 9mm, but cheapest ammo for Major PF. Can be used in Production Div, and is Major PF for L/L10.

Assuming the above is correct, I prefer .40 S&W because of the division flexibility. There's not a lot of action pistol shooters here, so I don't want to be stuck shooting in a meet with 2 shooters in my division. Here is the problem and question. The Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel) is on the Production Division approved gun list in both the 9mm and 40 S&W. The Smith & Wesson M&P Pro (5") is approved for the 9mm, but the .40 S&W is NOT on the list. To add to my confusion, the M&P 40 in 3" and 4" are on the list. Does anyone have some insight here? Is there a legit reason for this omission? Is the list updated regularly?

I'm so glad that I found this forum, and particularly this topic. Great info. Thank you G-man Bart and others. I am brand new to shooting and have started shooting USPSA Single Stack with a borrowed 1911 .45 ACP, but of course want my own semi-auto handgun. I want a 5" barrel, I don't reload (yet), and have been most interested in the S&W M&P Pro Series, and the Springfield XD Tactical Series.

First, is this correct:

- 9mm. cheapest ammo. Perfect for Production Division. Can be used for Limited/Limited 10, but you are penalized more for misses as it is Minor Power Factor.

- 40 S&W. slightly more than 9mm, but cheapest ammo for Major PF. Can be used in Production Div, and is Major PF for L/L10.

Assuming the above is correct, I prefer .40 S&W because of the division flexibility. There's not a lot of action pistol shooters here, so I don't want to be stuck shooting in a meet with 2 shooters in my division. Here is the problem and question. The Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel) is on the Production Division approved gun list in both the 9mm and 40 S&W. The Smith & Wesson M&P Pro (5") is approved for the 9mm, but the .40 S&W is NOT on the list. To add to my confusion, the M&P 40 in 3" and 4" are on the list. Does anyone have some insight here? Is there a legit reason for this omission? Is the list updated regularly?

Disregard the above post in this thread. It is being covered in a different thread: Technical/Factory/S&W/M&P40 Pro...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...