Open Gun Weight

JThompson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

STI Grandmaster with a plastic Arrandondo *thumb rest [generic]* and a KID blast shield (just for looks), a Dawson 1 piece tool-less guide rod set up in 38SC, Dawson ice aluminum mag well weighs 44.5 oz.

I like the weight---just pump some iron and offset the extra 2-4 oz.....

I happen to know a world champion Open shooter who shoots an Open gun that's WAY heavier than 42oz...it's not even close to that.

I'm guessing it is closer to, ummmm 57.6? :P

Is that for real? His gun is THAT heavy?

I happen to know a world champion Open shooter who shoots an Open gun that's WAY heavier than 42oz...it's not even close to that.

No, it's not Eric G, and it's not a Tanfoglio, but it's still a heavy gun!

Edited by G-ManBart

Not sure on Eric's since he switched to the V12 which is a shorter and presumably lighter gun. My longslide Tanfo with a Ti comp, Aimpoint and some putty for the grips though hits that number. I'll weigh my V12 when I get it back and post that weight.

well who are you talking about a caspian or para shooter?

Edited by AWLAZS

well who are you talking about a caspian or para shooter?

Didn't realize gun weight was top secret. :o

I do love my boat anchor, Dawson built *back in his workin for STI days* Eagle 5.5 with some lightening cuts, STI stainless mag well but the rest is pretty stock gun tippin the scales at 50 Oz. It might be a bit heavy by some people standards but it works for me. The main reason for the SS mag well is that the gun balances better in my hand with the weight down low.

STIOpenGun002.jpg

Joe W.

A boat anchor 50+ ounce Open gun sure does shoot nice, super flat and super soft, even I can shoot decent splits with them and get the hits. Problem with them, in my opinion, is that the actual shooting is a very small part of a stage and the split is a minuscule part. Light guns do everything else faster for me, and everything else is where it is at.

Knew I was doing something wrong...will need to add more weight...mine is only 56 oz

my 5" sv tritop with ti comp weighs 41.0, my hardy mongoose commander with steel comp weighs 40.4 on a poastal scale,,in the hand the hardy feels heavier and balances better. it looks like feel can be deceiving

Knew I was doing something wrong...will need to add more weight...mine is only 56 oz

Yeah, but a 170 in your hand looks like a 126 in my hand Sherwyn......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Caspian 38super,bull barrel-50oz

Roy, I am not sure what Steve Anderson's Caspian tipped the scales at. It has a hybrid-comp barrel, EGW magwell, a pretty decent size comp...etc. There are pictures of his Caspian on the forum, if one wanted to take a look.

His transitions...USPSA or Steel Challenge...were as good as about anybody's.

About 40 ounces for my 5" STI 38 super.

I've never listed all the small details that make this gun so light, so here goes.

C-More Serendipity one-piece plastic scope mount

plastic grip

plastic guide rod

Arredondo plastic mag release button

titanium slide-racker

Brazos one-piece barrel & comp

Koenig hammer

Gun balances very nicely in my hand. I shoot very light bullets (Montana Gold 115 JHP's) and I like a light gun that cycles fast.

1004090gd2.jpg

1004534tt8.jpg

Hey Chris, don't you mean polymer??? :roflol:

About 40 ounces for my 5" STI 38 super.

I've never listed all the small details that make this gun so light, so here goes.

C-More Serendipity one-piece plastic scope mount

plastic grip

plastic guide rod

Arredondo plastic mag release button

titanium slide-racker

Brazos one-piece barrel & comp

Koenig hammer

Gun balances very nicely in my hand. I shoot very light bullets (Montana Gold 115 JHP's) and I like a light gun that cycles fast.