Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Sig shooters?

nad1967

Forgot to include mine...

Sig P228 w/gunsmithing from Novak

Polished internals... texturized frame... trigger work and of course Novak night sites

It was my first Sig... I sold it once but was fortunate enough to buy it back.

Edited by nad1967

I shot a P226ST / 357SIG for a couple of years before the '05 rule book bumped it out of SSP (barely makes ESP weight).

That's the only gun I've had break in two different matches - split the takedown lever in one match (won't go into battery without that) and broke the extractor tip in another match (finished the stage loading one round at a time :( )

Somehow, MIM parts don't seem to translate to "hell and back" reliability....

The reason I went with the 229 in 9mm in the first place was that it was designed to withstand the .40 strait from R&D.

The 9 has shown no problems in ~5,000 rounds sofar. Also, 0 malfunctions. Not bad vs. some others I've had.

I've shot a West German police trade-in P6 in a couple of matches. I had it refurbished by SIG in New Hampshire and had them re-finish the slide, and replaced the mainspring with a 20 lb. version from Wolff. It's accurate and reliable, but the weird placement of the slide stop messes me up. It actually likes cast bullets better than my other 9x19s.

split the takedown lever in one match (won't go into battery without that)

I think this is a known factory issue and rumor has it they will send you a new one for the asking. I need to call them about my 228's lever. The newer ones have a "c" looking bullseye end looking at the right side...like the pic

6ok7kk.jpg

ymmv

Its been a while since I have attended a match, but my primary IDPA gun is a P220 DA/SA that has been tweaked by Gray Guns. I have also used my P239 a time or two. I recently picked up a P226 9mm, but probably won't use it much until I send it off to Gray Guns.

I have a SiG P220 chambered in .38 Super that I've used in SSP. It's fitted with a 'short' trigger and night sights from the SiG Custom Shop in NH. 'Tack driver' accuracy but noticably more recoil than a 9 mm. I haven't used it in any IDPA competitions recently.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried shooting a P226, but my thumb riding the safety was causing all sorts of problems. Oh wait, that's the slide stop. :surprise:

That was one of the reasons I quit shooting it. I had to be conscious of the Slide stop in order to keep the pistol running well.

Then I switched to an XD and had to do the same thing... :rolleyes:

Since the thread's been resurrected and I have nothing else to do but dust...

I've got a P220 on order...Elite Stainless I have no plans to do anything with but maybe drop in the short trigger, get it Bearcoated black and replace the grips. It seems no one shoots these and I'm sure I'll find out soon enough why, but I wanted it quite badly long before I'd even heard of IDPA or USPSA.

The specs say 37.1 oz empty with mag...and I'm wondering why it is the P226 comes in heavier (or at least I think it does).

So, am I right that my P220, should it ever get here, could be entered in SSP and in Limited-10 (with 10-rd mag)? I find some of the divisions a bit confusing, and the distinction sometimes obscure. 'Single Stack', for example, really threw me off, since I thought it meant single stack...kinda wish they'd just called it "M1911". ;)

Edit: I just now found for the first time that this Sig is in the 2009 Production list...I either never saw the 2009 list before, or am just now paying attention.

Edited by Bongo Boy

• 1 year later...

I do most of my competition shooting with my duty gun, which is a Sig 226R-DAK in .40 cal.

The DAK trigger is a variety of self-decocking/DAO that has a light but L-O-N-G trigger stroke.

It took me a while to get used to it. I found I had to downshift about half a gear to maintain the same accuracy, compared to the Sig 226 9mm with a traditional DA/SA trigger that I had before.

In June of 2008 I bought one of the Sig factory .22 conversion units. I would definately recommend getting one for cheap practice. Sig recommends CCI Mini-Mags for their conversion units. I do a lot of my "routine" skill maintenance practice on reduced targets at 50 feet on an indoor range, and save the "big bullets" for times I can practice on multiple targets and do movement and shoot from behind cover on the outdoor range. (I usually use NRA B-24, B-29, B-34 or TQ-16 or TQ-19 targets when shooting any of my .22 conversion units)

Since the thread's been resurrected and I have nothing else to do but dust...

I've got a P220 on order...Elite Stainless I have no plans to do anything with but maybe drop in the short trigger, get it Bearcoated black and replace the grips. It seems no one shoots these and I'm sure I'll find out soon enough why, but I wanted it quite badly long before I'd even heard of IDPA or USPSA.

The specs say 37.1 oz empty with mag...and I'm wondering why it is the P226 comes in heavier (or at least I think it does).

So, am I right that my P220, should it ever get here, could be entered in SSP and in Limited-10 (with 10-rd mag)? I find some of the divisions a bit confusing, and the distinction sometimes obscure. 'Single Stack', for example, really threw me off, since I thought it meant single stack...kinda wish they'd just called it "M1911". ;)

Edit: I just now found for the first time that this Sig is in the 2009 Production list...I either never saw the 2009 list before, or am just now paying attention.

I suspect a P220 with a 10 round magazine will not fit in the IDPA box. Also, I would not necessarily believe the weight as listed on any website (even Sig Sauer's). It's best to insert an empty magazine and weigh it yourself.

I shot/carried a P226 in 357 Sig that was gone over by Gray guns for awhile - it really improved w. his new Ti firing pin block safety... (Could have the part name wrong, but it really helps the DA trigger.) Admittedly, I had a great day, by my standards, but the first time I tried my G17, I bought a G31 to carry, and put the P226 in the safe.

I shot my P220 Combat in an IDPA match, but that was just to play w. it.

I shot/carried a P226 in 357 Sig that was gone over by Gray guns for awhile - it really improved w. his new Ti firing pin block safety... (Could have the part name wrong, but it really helps the DA trigger.) Admittedly, I had a great day, by my standards, but the first time I tried my G17, I bought a G31 to carry, and put the P226 in the safe.

I mostly shoot SSP but I started shooting CDP (and still do once in a while) with a SIG 220 match. After pull and shoot with M&P its hard to go back to that gun. Great gun but a couple things I never got around to getting worked. I have fairly small hands and the trigger is way to thick. Plus mine is DA/SA and unless I cock it as I'm coming up the first shot is terrible. The trigger is so heavy it pretty much takes two fingers to squeeze that first shot and be remotely accurate. I've been holding on to it but I've been tempted lately to sell it and and buy a Kimber 45 for CDP or a G35/M&P Pro 40 for USPSA.

226 357SIG, short trigger, short reset, and had Bomar adjustables installed. Trigger was done over by a friend and is adjusted for duty reliability. Don't shot much IDPA anymore but will shoot this gun in Ma STATE Championship this year with IWB carry holster and Gold Dot Duty ammo. Isn't that what the sport is all about? Should be fun.