Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifieds Forum New Minimum Post Count is Now 50

benos

Due to an ever increasing number of "post-count-bumping" new members, so they can start a thread in the Classifieds Forum, we have changed the minimum number of posts required to start a thread in the Classifieds to 50.

Originally, the Classifieds Forum began as way of providing contributing members a free place to sell stuff. But unfortunately, as the forum traffic and member database continues to grow, that privilege has been abused to the point where we were forced to make two changes. The first change was to raise the requirement for starting a thread in the Classifieds Forum to 50 meaningful posts.

The second change only affects post-count bumpers and members who attempt to post something for sale prior to having amassed the required number of posts. In those instances, the members status will be changed to Unclassified, and their post count will be rest to zero (0). After such members have contributed 100 meaningful posts, they may contact any moderator or administrator to request a return of their classifieds privileges. Following a review by the moderating team, the member will be apprised of the decision to grant or deny Classified privileges.

I understand that this change may be a PITA for a few meaningfully posting members approaching the 25 zone, hoping to maybe sell something in the Classifieds after they paid their dues. ;) I apologize to those members for this inconvenience. Policing the Classifieds Forum and the Forums in general for those who are just here to sell their stuff has created a moderating nightmare. And it just keeps getting worse. So we agreed, after much debate, to make this change.

be

Nice job Brian. I have never had a problem deal here on BE in part because of some of the requirements to post in the classifieds.

I have tried to get other Forums to implement similar things only to be shouted down for suggesting that free commerce should be restricted. Some people just don't get it, I 'm glad you do.

Thanks!

Your forum, your rules.

I consider it a privilege to part of this community. Thank you to you and all the mods. for all of your time and effort in making this the best shooting forum online.

I have 38 posts and have posted a item for sale. My question is this, am I grandfathered in with this new requirement for 50 posts or do I start no new threads untill I arrive at the new requirement of 50 posts in the other forums?

I have 38 posts and have posted a item for sale. My question is this, am I grandfathered in with this new requirement for 50 posts or do I start no new threads untill I arrive at the new requirement of 50 posts in the other forums?

Hmmm --- your member group still shows as "Classified" so I'm betting you could. I'm going to start that discussion --- because we hadn't even realized that grandfathering might be an easy possibility. Could you do me a favor and attempt to start a test thread in the Classifieds? I'd appreciate that.....

Mods and Brian especially are in sporadically over the weekend, so we might not have decision until Monday.....

We'll let you know, both via pm and here.....

Your forum, your rules.

I consider it a privilege to part of this community. Thank you to you and all the mods. for all of your time and effort in making this the best shooting forum online.

+1 What TM262 said.

I check my email and Your forum, thats why I have a computer :cheers:

Thanks Brian

It's likely more trouble than it's worth to eliminate the grandfathering.

Too bad you can't require that after starting a thread in the classifieds, you must increment your post count by 50, prior to starting a new classified thread.

I think that nobody should be selling in the classifieds more than a couple of times a year.

Too bad you can't require that after starting a thread in the classifieds, you must increment your post count by 50, prior to starting a new classified thread.

I think that nobody should be selling in the classifieds more than a couple of times a year.

I don't know. It seems quite a bit of shooters (hundreds of post) are trying to liquidate right now.

I am one of those new folks to this forum and do not mind the change at all. Since I am just getting going my only interest in the classifieds is in finding items to buy. A shooter buddy told me about this forum and it has been a great source of information and resources. I have learned a lot, bought me some re-loading gear from Brian, and found me a Carmonized 625.

It may take a while for me and some other posters to reach 50 posts. Most of my posts now are questions. I do not really post much to other folks questions since my knowledge in competitve shooting is so limited. Maybe that will change over time. I guess I need to branch out and try some of the threads that are for fun and not shooting related.

Let me add that that the questions I have asked have been patiently and cordially answered. I do know how search and that has limited my posts some since I have found anwers without having to post questions that have been previously discussed. OK, enough rambling on here. Keep up the good work.

Mike

and why is that?

and why is that?

I'm not Rich --- but the Classifieds Forum Philosophy and Rules are spelled out Here.

If you have questions after reading that, feel free to drop me a pm.....

I understand the rules...just wondering why he feels people should be limited to a couple times a year. I recently listed a few things. I do so because I know this is the place where we all hang out and have the common interest. Heck, I have even given things away for free.

I have also watched as some people are going through tough times and this is a nice outlet to communicate and sell.

Maybe I am missing something here. I don't think anyone is trying to turn this site into E-bay or the like.

Just a question....that was all

If you already had 25 post at the time of the change, you are in a sense "grandfathered" because your member group would already be set to Classified. Which is required to start a thread in the Classifieds.

be

The way things are now. Changing this will hurt more do good. People getting laid off all the time . The people of this forums might need a outlet to sell stuff just to pay bills. Selling at a gun store or pawn shop will never get the true value for the high end guns that will play with.. This might be a good choice down the road but not now. Things are going to worse before they get better Thats what a have to say on the this subject

• 2 weeks later...

I had this exchange with a forum member today, so I put it up here, for others in the same boat.

Hello,

I recently reached my 26 post on the forum and was going to list a WTB post and WTS post. When I went to do the WTB post, it shows that I need 50+ posts before I can do that. While looking trough the classified section, I have noticed postings by members with less than 50 post.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time,

At the end of January, we did this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78446

And the reason you are seeing a few members in the Classifieds with less than 50 posts - If the member was already over 25 posts at the time of the change, their member group was already changed to "Classified" at that moment (the forum's software automatically changes the member's group when a member reaches the required number of posts), so in a sense members between 25 - 50 posts were grandfathered in.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you (and a few other members I'm sure). We discussed it long and hard in the Mod forum, and in the end all the Mods felt this change needed to happen.

Thank your for being a member the forums.

Regards,

Brian

• 4 months later...